Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Arrow Weights - Shaft Selections

Post Thanks / Like

Default Arrow Weights - Shaft Selections

I feel like there is a thread for this somewhere, but honestly didn't want to dig it up and starting clean never hurts Anywho ... Posted a couple times about considering an arrow swap for the coming season. I tend to go through almost a dozen a year it seems and I'm almost to that point with my last batch of GT Velocity (300). I found that my Bengal tuned better with the .300 spine vs the .400 and so I'm planning on sticking with the .350-.300 range. I was able to diddle with a trial of OT2 shaft selector and showed optimal spine was .340s - so that got me to looking around at what arrows would fit the bill and possibly allow me to shave some weight and pick up a little more juice.

Now I know there are guys out there that say you HAVE to have a 400+ gr arrow to shoot deer and I just laugh at it. With my ranges that I know I shoot, I'm plenty comfortable with a "lighter" arrow. I put 2 solid pass throughs at 20 and 30 yards with the Cheetah shooting 60# and a GT Velocity 400 that probably weight a touch more than 330gr. With the Bengal, I'm pretty confident I got a bit more push behind them arrows to get the job done.

I'm thinking I might just pick up a half dozen of whatever new arrow I pick up just to see how well they shoot and if I like them so I'm not out more money. If all is well, grab 6 more. So here is where I've come to in my search ... what does everyone think - if they've had experience with any of the shafts or would recommend based on what you've seen/heard/etc.

(All finished weights based on 27.5" shaft, might be able to go shorter, and corresponding components with 100gr points/bh. Need to do some more fine tuning with the Bengal in draw length etc once I get my elusive draw board built. All will be within 5gr per pound draw weight. Current arrow weight approx 385gr)

Victory VForce HV 350 - 6.8gpi - finished weight approx 325gr
    Gold Tip Velocity 340 - 8.2gpi - approx 363gr
    Black Eagle Arrows Carnivores - 7.5gpi - 346gr
    Bloodsport (Muddy) HT2 - 7.9gpi - 353gr

From what I've seen so far, the BEA are going to be the most pricey (+$20-$25/half dozen) of the bunch. The others pretty much run about the same +/- $5/half-dozen. If I'm missing another arrow with similar spec, post it up and lets have us a chat
    2014 Lithium :: 2007 Cheetah :: Jaguar Take-down
    REAL AVID Field Staff / Bucks and Beards Scents Field Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Drop, You like the speed so you should stay with what works for you. I just finished putting some 4" shieldcut feathers on a 400 Goldtip XT Hunter 29" with a 125 grn. muzzy phantom. Shooting these out of my Bengal 2012 60# and I am totally impressed. Arrow weight is 396 grns. I also shot the same setup with a 340 Easton Axis and except for the arrow weighing 425 grns they also were great. Cost wise it's hard to beat the Cableas Extreme Hunter for $54. I have some of those left over and they will certainly drill your deer as far as you want to shoot. I hope to draw a cow Elk tag so the heavy arrows will fit that bill nicely. I thought arhery was supposed to be a simple sport soooo the collecting of stuff continues Have fun with whatever you get.
    PS the heavy arrow really do quiet down your bow.

Sonny Thomas

I've looked at several arrows charts and the 400 spine is given time and again. Even at 62 pounds and 29" of draw the 400 spine arrow is given. So shortened 27.5" 400 spine would be even more ideal.

For me arrow brand is just a personal perference. I've had Victories, Carbon Express, Harvest Time and Muddy Outdoors updated Harvest Time arrows. They all get the job done.

Post Thanks / Like

Ah arrows,
    yeah " need more input."
    I have a box of carbon express 50/60's I'm working with right now. they seem to do okay. It doesn't give me a spine.
    The Firecat ( remember it's an oldie, 1996) I'm 28.5 draw at 63 lbs ( working the arm for 70 still) I have 125 field tips on to get practice,( it's what I had) and will be using NAP thunderheads for a broadhead, they (C.E.) claim the shaft is 9.9 grain per inch, arrows are 30" =297gr. + insert, fletch, and nock, around 320 ish,( man now I need a grain scale) FOC is happy at 10% ish.
    what shaft would you guys suggest? my need to get list is climbing high, and income is staying the same LOL, my wife is already contemplating a bow and/or arrow enima, so bang for the buck is top of the list
    HELP
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to
    The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life

'96 Firecat, '66 Herters

Post Thanks / Like

Drop, understand you shoot a light arrows. Look at Victory V3 and or VAPS. I shot them for years and still love them. I know shoot Easton Axis 340 at 29" @ 420g with Zeon Fusions'. I like the weight as I also hunt Elk here in N. AZ and don't wont change out as deer and Elk are just a few weeks apart. The pro to that heavy arrow is penetartion when hitting bone and or shoulder and if a bad spot,,, hip. I blew thought a Elk shoulder last year with my Fire Cat 400 a and hit heart @ 68 yards. Broadhead slick trick mag 100g. Hope your shopping go's well my freind.
    Ranger 6
    2011 Fire Cat 400 (Custom)
    2005 Martin SlayR
    2012 Mathews z7 Magnum
    2011 Prime Centerod
    2001 PSE Excellerator

Post Thanks / Like

Indeed - I'm no dummy when it comes to the proper needs for the situation. If I were shooting anything larger than whitetail - I'd be going heavy. Right now my primary shooting is whitetail and under / 3D. I'm confident I can get away with the "lighter" arrows should I take that direction. At the same time, I do recognize that my 380-385gr arrow is still considered "light" by some With that, I'd be completely comfortable sticking with what I currently have, knowing that I've had success with it, but I'm one to have "tinkeritis"

For the 400 spine, I originally had some XT Hunter 5575 cut to about the same length 28" and had nothing but wonky arrow flight no matter what I did in trying to tune the bow with them. Once I went to the stiffer spine, it was like night and day difference. I shoot Velocity 400s with my Cheetah, because of the rest setup I have on it NAP Apache, I'm able to get away with a much shorter arrow at about 26.5" - that stiffens those up pretty well I think. 400 spine seem to be the "go-to" for the majority of set-ups according to manufacturer spec. I believe going with the .350 is going to give you the best fit, I'd rather be a touch "over-spined" than under.
    2014 Lithium :: 2007 Cheetah :: Jaguar Take-down
    REAL AVID Field Staff / Bucks and Beards Scents Field Staff

Sonny Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by macflash View Post
    Ah arrows,
    yeah " need more input."
    I have a box of carbon express 50/60's I'm working with right now. they seem to do okay. It doesn't give me a spine.
    The Firecat ( remember it's an oldie, 1996) I'm 28.5 draw at 63 lbs ( working the arm for 70 still) I have 125 field tips on to get practice,( it's what I had) and will be using NAP thunderheads for a broadhead, they (C.E.) claim the shaft is 9.9 grain per inch, arrows are 30" =297gr. + insert, fletch, and nock, around 320 ish,( man now I need a grain scale) FOC is happy at 10% ish.
    what shaft would you guys suggest? my need to get list is climbing high, and income is staying the same LOL, my wife is already contemplating a bow and/or arrow enima, so bang for the buck is top of the list
    HELP
    Something of the Rebel line. I'd have the arrow cut 1 inch past contact point of the rest at full draw. Would help the spine. Inserts, I'd go 100 grs points.

Took my scale out the truck, but The Box is a inexpensive electronic scale. New, I paid $20.00. The lower end model, you need a flat surface. What I do is shim the Box so the arrow stays in the middle of the pad. 500 grs is the most it can weigh. Anything over 500 and you can burn up the Box. Size is incredible, like your billfold...or at least mine with uptine ad cards....wish it was due to folding money

Post Thanks / Like

Enima huh? Archery can become a 4 letter word in my house. I had a heck of a time w/ arrows when setting up my Onza. It likes a stiffer arrow. Its all trial and a lot of arrow, I mean error.
    2013 PANTERA w/ cloaked cams, PINK Meta peep, PINK/BROWN BSD strings, PINK/BROWN BowJax, Truglo Range Rover Pendulum Site, Shockwave Stabilizer
    2012 Onza III w/cloaked cams, Meta peep, Truglo Micro Brite, Shockwave Stabilizer
    2010 G5 Quest Primal
    True-Fire Hardcore and Winn Free Flight releases
    Maxima's tipped w/ RAGE broadheads (some w/ PINK fletching)

Sonny Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by typically8 View Post
    Enima huh? Archery can become a 4 letter word in my house. I had a heck of a time w/ arrows when setting up my Onza. It likes a stiffer arrow. Its all trial and a lot of arrow, I mean error.
    Set up a few Onza IIIs, piece of cake. The owner, Martin staff shooter, had a crazy bunch of Carbon Express arrows, maximas, them soda straw arrows (Nanos of .177" dia.) and them CX logs. We shot everything through his and all worked great. He finally picked the Nanos and what the H__ for is beyond me. I know I shot with him later at this 3D and his hypodermic arrows were getting through the off side of the target. And this on brand new targets.

Of note; The Nanos have been brought up as to maybe limiting or even banning them in 3D. So dang thin that they get to the off side of the target, when switching to the offside target it's already broken down and shoots out faster than the first side shot.

Post Thanks / Like

Sonny I've shot a ton of critters with a rifle and think too much emphasis is placed on (passthroughs) The arrow stuck in the vitals that acts like a meat grinder while the animal is moving will cause more damage than a clean passthrough, I believe. So I agree with you about some of the NANO's extreme penitration, esp. for deer size critters. That being said I chose the 340 Axis for my slim chance of drawing a Tule cow elk tag. When I was assasinating coyotes, I found the .17 Remington and the 204 Ruger that seldom exited tend to make them DRT more so than even a .223. I know it's apples and tomatoes but give us some insight. I see Ted Nugents drop just as dead with a 50lb bow as any.