Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Arrow Weights - Shaft Selections

Sonny Thomas

Default Arrow Weights - Shaft Selections

Bob, I think it depends on the deer and the broadhead. Seen deer run forever shot through the heart, cleared a 40 acre field before it stopped. And then shot this doe in her bed. She jumped up and went right back down in her bed. I also shot a doe straight through and she jumped off about 10 yards and stood there wondering what went on. Yep, stood right there and bled to death.

Broadhead of good cutting quality for big hole in and out is hard to beat, lets the hot blood out and the cold air in, so to speak.

Yotes, about as weird as animals come. Dropped this dog right in his tracks with a .22 rifle. And then drilled this dog yote twice with a .30/006 and he ran forever. Looked like one of the horror movies, blood everywhere. We couldn't follow on his trail in the tall grass because there was so much blood. Me and my wife tracked that sucker for over 2 miles and never did find him.

Post Thanks / Like

I think there has been too much emphasis place on large diameter cut BH in recent times. If you don't have the juice to push those suckers through, you ain't gonna see a clean pass. My Dad thought Rage was the greatest because of the hole they make, but never had a pass through and lost the biggest buck of his life with one as well. I talked him into shooting the T3s last year and he smoked 2 straight through. He shoots a much older bow than I and I know it doesn't have the juice that we have with our more up-to-date models. I believe a solid 1 1/4 - 1 1/2" is plenty to get the job done and will take care of business with a well placed shot.
    2014 Lithium :: 2007 Cheetah :: Jaguar Take-down
    REAL AVID Field Staff / Bucks and Beards Scents Field Staff

Post Thanks / Like

hey DP, I use the Easton Axis Nano 340's for my Onza, total arrow weight is about 385 ish with feathers. They are a little heavier than your other choices but I love them. On the flip side, I recently set up my nephew with a 60# Silencer, and he's shooting Gold Tip Velocihunters with 100 gr tips and blazer vanes, they're smoking at about 360 grains...

As for arrow choice and hunting, I agree with you, a lighter arrow will get the job done on most anything in the continental US. Even the Nuge gets passthroughs with his 50# bows and well placed shots.
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wscywabbit View Post
    hey DP, I use the Easton Axis Nano 340's for my Onza, total arrow weight is about 385 ish with feathers. They are a little heavier than your other choices but I love them. On the flip side, I recently set up my nephew with a 60# Silencer, and he's shooting Gold Tip Velocihunters with 100 gr tips and blazer vanes, they're smoking at about 360 grains...

As for arrow choice and hunting, I agree with you, a lighter arrow will get the job done on most anything in the continental US. Even the Nuge gets passthroughs with his 50# bows and well placed shots.
    The Velocity shafts are great, I shot them for the past 2 seasons (400s w/ Cheetah, 300s w/ Bengal). Gold Tip makes phenomenal arrows, they are indeed strong. I've had many arrow slaps shooting ground and they are still just fine. Had a few break on me, but for the most part they are super strong from my experience.

I might pick up a half dozen of the Victory and see how well they shoot - think picking up a little more zing out of the bow will make a difference in 3D and Hunting. Worst case senario, I don't like them and I just keep my slider marks for my current shaft and go back to them. One of the nice things about archery is we have a ridonculous amount of options/choices to make.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by droppixel View Post
    I think there has been too much emphasis place on large diameter cut BH in recent times. If you don't have the juice to push those suckers through, you ain't gonna see a clean pass. My Dad thought Rage was the greatest because of the hole they make, but never had a pass through and lost the biggest buck of his life with one as well. I talked him into shooting the T3s last year and he smoked 2 straight through. He shoots a much older bow than I and I know it doesn't have the juice that we have with our more up-to-date models. I believe a solid 1 1/4 - 1 1/2" is plenty to get the job done and will take care of business with a well placed shot.
    I couldn't agree more. Contrary to what is thought, especially by younger guys, it doesn't take a big hole or a ton of KE to pass through deer. My last three deer were shot with ACC 3-18 shafts and InnerLoc 75 grain heads ( 1 1/16" cut) for a total weight of 330 grains; shot from a bow at 237 fps. Do the math---39 ft.lbs of energy. All pass throughs and the nicest buck of the bunch went a total of 30 yards and stood there looking around wondering what happened till he just fell over and died. 1 1/16" ain't very big, but it's more than big enough.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    I couldn't agree more. Contrary to what is thought, especially by younger guys, it doesn't take a big hole or a ton of KE to pass through deer. My last three deer were shot with ACC 3-18 shafts and InnerLoc 75 grain heads ( 1 1/16" cut) for a total weight of 330 grains; shot from a bow at 237 fps. Do the math---39 ft.lbs of energy. All pass throughs and the nicest buck of the bunch went a total of 30 yards and stood there looking around wondering what happened till he just fell over and died. 1 1/16" ain't very big, but it's more than big enough.
    Really good info here!!!! People need to know that bigger is not better, faster is not as accurate.

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

I have used the Victory VAP's for a few years, and love the penetration they get, but I'm switching over to the V Force now. Cheaper arrows, and more durable. I shoot a .300 and a .350 spine out of the 65 & 70# bows, and a .350 or 400 out of the 60#'ers. The VAP's have a half insert that keeps bending. They told me not to shoot a bag target, but they still bend when I shoot into a Rinehart. Not a problem one with the V Force, or the V Force HV's. Both great arrows. As far as broadheads, I shoot 1 1/8th inch cut. Plenty big enough to do the job well, and good flight/penetration. Just got a new Ramcat broadhead to try out. 1 3/16th cut. Looks impressive, but haven't shot it yet.

On a side note. I think a razor sharp broadhead is FAR more important that a big broadhead.
    Last edited by Ehunter; 04-09-2013 at 08:38 PM.
    2008 Moab 70# The deer killing bow
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#---2009-10-12? Warthog Frankenbow with Nitrous B
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, now for they young guy's 2 cents.
    I read some where that smaller animal should be shot using a smaller caliber bullet. I think it has to do w/ speed vs kinetic energy vs bullet expansion. I shot 3 coyotes at 50-100 yds w/ my 30-06 hitting all of them but could not find any.
    Second point w/ out starting a Rage war. I shot 4 deer w/ Rage, had pass through and nothing ran more then 35 yds. I trust them enough for nephew to shoot his first doe w/ a 40lb bow. He had a pass through and short trail as well. Back in the 80s, I remember bigger was better. I still have some of those Rocky Mt heads. Accuracy and a sharp arrow is all it takes (Maybe a lil luck too).
    2013 PANTERA w/ cloaked cams, PINK Meta peep, PINK/BROWN BSD strings, PINK/BROWN BowJax, Truglo Range Rover Pendulum Site, Shockwave Stabilizer
    2012 Onza III w/cloaked cams, Meta peep, Truglo Micro Brite, Shockwave Stabilizer
    2010 G5 Quest Primal
    True-Fire Hardcore and Winn Free Flight releases
    Maxima's tipped w/ RAGE broadheads (some w/ PINK fletching)

Post Thanks / Like

The thing that my Dad had with his Rage experience was simply monster holes that would lead to dead deer, just never one that had passed through. My point with the large cut is, if you don't have the mustard to push them, I wouldn't shoot them. Rage makes the 40ke now, don't know a lot about them, but they have at least recognized that having a BH specifically geared to bows that have a lower KE output is a nice thing to offer. I know plenty of people that shoot 1 1/8" cuts and that was what I shot my first few with.

Ehunter is right Sharp trumps Size everyday.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bob cooly View Post
    Sonny I've shot a ton of critters with a rifle and think too much emphasis is placed on (passthroughs) The arrow stuck in the vitals that acts like a meat grinder while the animal is moving will cause more damage than a clean passthrough, I believe. So I agree with you about some of the NANO's extreme penitration, esp. for deer size critters. That being said I chose the 340 Axis for my slim chance of drawing a Tule cow elk tag. When I was assasinating coyotes, I found the .17 Remington and the 204 Ruger that seldom exited tend to make them DRT more so than even a .223. I know it's apples and tomatoes but give us some insight. I see Ted Nugents drop just as dead with a 50lb bow as any.
    Bob, I think that with those two calibers, it more a case of fragible bullets and hyper velocity than it is their smaller diameters.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade