Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 27 of 27

Thread: Arrow Weights - Shaft Selections

  1. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    110
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The victory HV arrows have been nothing but wonderful for me. I use the 400 spine, out of my scepter at 54.3 # they are just perfect. I also tend to have my arrows cut longer my DL is 29.5 and I have them cut at 31". I figured that would give me a bit of leeway if I needed to stiffen them up a bit I can always shorten them afterwards. Haven't had the need to do that though, the spine seems perfect for my setup.

    My only complaint would be that given their lightness, they aren't as forgiving when you miss the target. They will break where my excel's used to survive. Still won't change brands until I have to!
    Durandal
    Scepter V
    53.4 # 29.5 DL
    Victory HV Arrows
    Finger Shooter "Instinctive"

  2. #22
    Senior Member macflash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Olympic Peninsula
    Posts
    175
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Got to shoot at 30 yards today ... not liking what I'm seein' , I have about a 4-6 inch drift to the left, with the Carbon express Devils Wrath arrows, the box says for 50-60 pound bow so I'm guessing that a stiffer spine is needed. threw an xx75 aluminum game getter in the mix and it dropped right in where the pin was.
    The Carbons have about a 2 degree right helical on them so I would expect right drift if anything. would to weak of a spine cause it to drift left or right???
    So I'm going to just use these for plinking, and building my arms and shoulder, what i don't know is for a bow that is shooting 65-70 pounds which gold tip shaft do I want to get and should I get the ones from wally world with the blazers on them, it's 65 bucks for 12, and have inserts
    Last edited by macflash; 04-20-2013 at 06:54 PM.
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to
    The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life
    .

    '96 Firecat, '66 Herters

  3. #23
    Super Moderator bfisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Middletown, Pa, USA
    Posts
    11,585
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    At 65-70# and 31" long I'd say with certainty that a 400 shaft is underspined. I'd go with a 300 spine without a doubt. If you like a 22 diameter like the aluminum then Gold Tip has an Ultralite 22 series that is a 300 spine and comes in at 7.3 gpi to help maximize speed. They also make a standard size carbon called the Ultralite 300 or the Velocity 300 at 8.5 gpi. If money is an issue then try the Ultralite Entrada.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

  4. #24
    Senior Member TEN RING's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    western PA
    Posts
    850
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    At 65-70# and 31" long I'd say with certainty that a 400 shaft is underspined. I'd go with a 300 spine without a doubt. If you like a 22 diameter like the aluminum then Gold Tip has an Ultralite 22 series that is a 300 spine and comes in at 7.3 gpi to help maximize speed. They also make a standard size carbon called the Ultralite 300 or the Velocity 300 at 8.5 gpi. If money is an issue then try the Ultralite Entrada.
    I agree you are under spined 300's will put you where you need to be
    MARTIN BENGAL
    THE NEED FOR SPEED
    WALMART PRO STAFF SHOOTER

  5. #25
    Senior Member macflash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Olympic Peninsula
    Posts
    175
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Nice thanks guys,
    am I right in saying the spine, 300 vs 400 is how much said shaft will bend with a certain pressure, therefore 300 is a stiffer spine because it doesn't bend as far with said weight ?
    If I can get a few more atta boys from work I'll be able to get the gold tips, from Cabelas but I'll look into the ultralights
    Mac
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to
    The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life
    .

    '96 Firecat, '66 Herters

  6. #26
    Senior Member TEN RING's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    western PA
    Posts
    850
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by macflash View Post
    Nice thanks guys,
    am I right in saying the spine, 300 vs 400 is how much said shaft will bend with a certain pressure, therefore 300 is a stiffer spine because it doesn't bend as far with said weight ?
    If I can get a few more atta boys from work I'll be able to get the gold tips, from Cabelas but I'll look into the ultralights
    Mac
    Yes 300 is stiffer than a 400 shaft, hope you get some were I work it takes 99 at a boy to get a rise but take one oh s?*t to wipe them out
    MARTIN BENGAL
    THE NEED FOR SPEED
    WALMART PRO STAFF SHOOTER

  7. #27
    Senior Member macflash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Olympic Peninsula
    Posts
    175
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TEN RING View Post
    Yes 300 is stiffer than a 400 shaft, hope you get some were I work it takes 99 at a boy to get a rise but take one oh s?*t to wipe them out
    LOL, yeah been there went from hero to zero in 2.6 micro seconds on the 747 last year. down in 737 land it's a little easier life,... most days
    and someone elses oh s?*t is usually what i end up fixing so it doesn't take long for the atta boys to add up
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to
    The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life
    .

    '96 Firecat, '66 Herters

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •