Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FireCat input needed

Sonny Thomas

Default FireCat input needed

I have person asking of the FireCat 400. He related of hearing the FireCat 400 being troublesome for tuning and he has two FireCat 400s that just won't tune. I understand he has contacted Brandon and Joel and they told of not having a real answer. Bow there and all of us here, it's hard to pin point a problem. I understand a time frame is a issue also, shipping and whatever. I have questions put to him, but slow going is trying this or that and turn around time.

So I have never heard of tuning issues for the FireCat or the FireCat 400. I've never had tuning issues with Martin CatCam bows and they are all CatCams just improved. Personally, I never cared for the FireCat, but all that I tuned shot great....I only had one FireCat 400 to work on and I treated it just like any other Martin. It shot great.

So the question; Has there been issues of trouble tuning the FireCat 400 and what were any corrections or whatever to correct the problem?
    Last edited by Sonny Thomas; 04-10-2013 at 10:26 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I own one, and I haven't noticed any issues.

A.S
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com

joelc

One of these days I'll be able to fully diagnose tuning/noise/accuracy/speed/timing issues over the phone

Post Thanks / Like

Joel, what kinda tech guy can't diagnose a problem by listening to it over a phone? lol Just teasin ya. lol I get the "It's making a funny sound" comments alot at work as well, and customers just never seem to realise that it can be a multitude of things.

Sonny, I've had both the older Firecats, and the 400, and haven't had any real tuning problems. What's the problem the guy is having with his? One came with the cams slightly out of time, but once fixed, it solved all the problems I had.
    Last edited by Ehunter; 04-10-2013 at 11:57 AM.
    2006 Rytera Bullet X 60#---2008 Moab 70#
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#---2009-10-12? Warthog Frankenbow with Nitrous B
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.

Sonny Thomas

Ehunter, the owner is saying it won't paper and ticked off. I'm not getting information that I really want. I mean, if the bow shoots good, and supposedly it is, I wouldn't worry about paper tears.

Sonny Thomas

Ehunter, the owner is saying it won't paper and ticked off. I'm not getting information that I really want. I mean, if the bow shoots good, and supposedly it is, I wouldn't worry about paper tears.

I'm trying to get arrow make, model and build. I ain't the best, but I can come pretty close to tuning a bow for a tile spade. :eek:

Post Thanks / Like

I've never heard of it having tuning issues either. And I agree with you, if its shooting well, why worry about getting bullet holes? Paper tuning is just one tool of many, and as a matter a fact you can tune a bow to get a bullet hole, and then finish fine tuning it using any of the other tuning methods and it won't shoot bullet holes anymore!
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joelc View Post
    One of these days I'll be able to fully diagnose tuning/noise/accuracy/speed/timing issues over the phone
    Skype or a similiar program should do it.

A.S
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

Default Firecat 400

binary hybrid cams are simple to tune. Adjust the timing, adjust draw module, adjust the draw peg. If all that was done correctly and your arrows are spine correctly for that set up and you're not shooting bullet holes through paper then I think you need to look at the shooter.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with wabbit on this one. I don't have a single bow that'll shoot bulletholes. Paper tuning is the first step, not the last. (IF you choose to paper tune). After that, you walk back, french tune, whatever you want to get the final tweaks worked out. That'll always throw your paper tune out of perfect. Broadhead tuning will usually make them even worse. If he's planning on shooting animals with his bow, getting BH and FP's hitting the same spot is what's important. If he's shooting paper animals, then I guess a neat bullethole would look better. Virtually all of my bows have at least a 1/2 to 3/4 inch tear through paper, but will group BH's with FP's out to 70+ yards.
    Also thinking that alot of his problems might be form or draw length. Of course, convincing some shooters of that is a nightmare.

Sonny, I wish you the best in helping him, and if I can be of any help, just holler!
    2006 Rytera Bullet X 60#---2008 Moab 70#
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#---2009-10-12? Warthog Frankenbow with Nitrous B
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.