Thread: Back at "Altitude"

Post Thanks / Like

Default Back at "Altitude"

I always like to have a backup bow ready to go during hunting season, especially while on a trip. Needed it for the first time last Fall in Ohio when I noticed a small split in the upper limb of my '08 Moab. Been thinking of getting the new Alien but held off to hear some reports, not in a hurry; but I still need an extra bow for my upcoming turkey trip. So I dusted off my old Altitude and started shooting it, remember why I never got rid of the bow, this tiny thing just shoots good; have some robin hoods with it. Had put new strings on it a few years ago but still had the old rest, sight and stab. on it, so I decided to swap the stuff from the broken bow: Sword Twilight Hunter, Ripcord w/ Martin Lock Mount and a Posten stab. Set it up to shoot the same arrows I'm using now and it was even better; not sure I want a new bow: small, light, I really liked stillhunting with this bow.

How many bows fit in your lap:

I Like the Lock Mount, no worries, very stable; no longer in production:

Had several first kills with this bow: buck(and deer), bear, fall turkey, coyote.
    Recurves: 40lb X-200, 45 & 50lb Hunters, 45lb Mamba

Post Thanks / Like

While I was swapping everything over I couldn't help but wonder how the M-pro cam would be on the Altitude: its a little bigger, so would give a little more brace height, nice to have on a short ATA bow; should give more speed but not sure; should be smoother drawing. The wall is pretty good with the Fusion cam, but will get a draw stop and more adjustability with the M-pro.

The '08 Cheetah had the M-pro and the same 30.5" ATA as the Altitude so a set of strings for that bow should work. Not much to invest as an experiment and it shouldn't take too long; maybe after turkey season.

Also thinking about adding a string stop.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice. Sometimes its good to revisit old friends, then you remember why they were your friends to begin with.
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps

String builder/ Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I still remember my Altitude loved that bow, kinda miss it. I wore it out and it cost me less to up grade. Still was a sweet small bow.

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

I thought you had one Hutch; don't see many used ones come up for sale any more.

Just started some paper tuning, forgot that this bow likes the nock set close to 0(still get a slightly high tear), had it tied too high and couldn't get any lower.

String builder/ Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Still if I saw one and had the bucks I'd buy it. Small real small, light and quick. The only thing I remember is d loop nock pinch. Such a tight v at full draw.

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

My son has a altitude he would be willing to part with. He hasn't used it much and wants something newer. I have shot it and am amazed how well it shoots.
    just pm me if you have any ?s.

Post Thanks / Like

Default I agree,,,with you ...

I still have one took my first deer and turkey with it ..That was why I kept it..And it shoots graet in fact I got a string and cable for it and I am using it This Turkey season ..Run and gun so too speak...I of the best bows I have ever owned...