Thread: How do you occupy your time in the stand....?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Default How do you occupy your time in the stand....?

I don't get a lot of time to hunt every year.....so when i do i hunt and pay attention every minute.....
    I look at the trees changing colors...i look for the quietness and the beauty of the outdoors. I love every minute of it, because it's so short lived. I watch squirells and birds......all kinds of stuff. I really listen to the sounds and listen for changes, as it can mean a deer is walking up.
    I don't mess with phones and all that....i just simply hunt, pay attention and mentally rehearse how i'm going to breathe calmly and I visualise the arrow releasing, hitting it's target.

Sonny Thomas

Default How do you occupy your time in the stand....?

Retired, I can pretty hunt any time I want, but all that you mentioned is much the same for me. I don't think about the shot until it comes as there is no sense in bending the mind.
    West central Illinois and fall, out early I get to hear Mother Nature coming awake. Not just animals or common sounds, but the her first breath of the morning, a ever so slight breeze that comes with dawn.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm the same. Phone is left in the truck, my attention is entirely on what's going on around me. On a calm fall day I usually hear the deer before I see them. Then of course, you have the squirrel on the ground that drives you crazy because you just know it's a deer coming through the leaves, strain your neck to look around the tree, and see nothing. Look at the ground, and see the "deer" digging in the leaves, his bushy tail flipping about. There's so much to see and learn in nature that I don't have time to text (wouldn't anyways), worry about my problems, get bored, or anything else. I learn something from every single animal I see, be it a deer or a squirrel. Something you can't do with your head buried in a phone or gameboy.
    2006 Rytera Bullet X 60#---2008 Moab 70#
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I'm not nearly as focused as you guys. I carry a kindle with me, and read while I'm up in the air. I do make it a point to look around before I turn the page, and I'm always listening. Last season I spent about 6-8 hours a day in the stand for a little over a week, and if not for the kindle I think I would have went nuttier than the squirrels! lol
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps

Junior Member MartinIsMyMiddleName's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

For me, there is nothing better than to doze off while in the stand. There is something very relaxing about swaying in a tree while listening to the wildlife around you, especially if you stayed up too late the night before.

I learned to keep track of those squirrels sounds though. There was a squirrel last year that suddenly snorted and ran off after I realized it was walking right past my stand. I just barely caught a glimpse of the doe as it crashed off through the woods. It must have gotten spooked when my snoring stopped.

Anyway, I usually have my phone with me. Mostly just to text other people in my party, or to keep track of time, if I have to get back by a certain time. I tried to check my email once, but it just seemed too wrong. Plus it reminded me of work.
    2012 Martin Pantera, 60# Fury XT, Trophy Ridge Fire Wire V3, Trophy Ridge Revolution
    2012 Martin Tiger 10# T-Pro, Martin ESW, Martin IFC
    2012 Martin Tiger 5# T-Pro, Martin ESW, Martin IFC
    2006 Martin Cheetah 70# M-Pro, Trophy Ridge Punisher 5, NAP Apache

Post Thanks / Like

First off "urp" ... Welcome to the forum!

Most of the time I spend my time glassing everything around me. Just like you I spend a lot of time watching birds, squirrels and any other animals and sights. I do text my friends that are out hunting also, we let each other know what we are seeing or what we have shot. Technology! I spend a lot of time in a tree or ground blind during the Wisconsin Archery season, and it's a long one. I spend many days, all day long in my stand and have been known to take a few naps in my treelounge.

Mike

Post Thanks / Like

I watch and listen but if the day is going real slow I will play a game or two on my phone or text buddies.
    Martin x-200 unsure of year
    2011 Mathews z7magnum
    2012 Mathews z7magnum
    2014 Mathews ChillR (on order)

Post Thanks / Like

I try to pay attention to the woods and I am pretty good about it. But I also am texting my hunting buddies that are out, and we are comparing notes on what we are seeing. Which is cool. We all try to keep each others spirits up. Like when one buddy wants to come out, we will tell him to stay in until dark, his deer is coming.

I also text my wife when I know she is up, and tell her how much I love her, and how I appreciate how tolerant she is of my hunting. I also tell her to check "Find my I-phone" so that she can see which stand I am in. I only hunt 800 yards or so from my house so that if she needs me, she can reel me back in pretty quick.

Sometimes I surf Craigslist to see if anyone is selling a treestand cheap. Like I need another one of those. But I just can't turn down another treestand at the right price.

I love hunting!! I love the excitement when a deer is spotted, and how the nerves are on full alert. I love it. A heck of a rush.

Post Thanks / Like

I love watching God's creation, enjoying the outdoors. I do take pictures and check Facebook. But mostly just look and listen and relax.
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.-Thomas Jefferson
    John Hancock -"Resistance to tyranny becomes the Christian and social duty of each individual. ... Continue steadfast and, with a proper sense of your dependence on God, nobly defend those rights which heaven gave, and no man ought to take from us."

Post Thanks / Like

LOL I love how everyone texts while in the stand... you tweeting too and adding posts to facebook?

Don't worry, I'm just jealous because where we hunt for deer camp there is no cell service unless you drive to the top of Tunk Mountain... then you can call home and check in with the wife
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps