Thread: Got coffee? Bored, raining out? Read ramblings....

Threaded View

Post Thanks / Like

It's not raining here; it's snowing!

Sonny, you have some neat 'stuff'! I found your thread on 'Bow Tuning is Secondary'; could not agree more, for what my extreme amateur status is worth. I think this relates;

My first bow; a, I thought, beautiful wooden risered Browning, I decide to put some new fangled 'gizmos' on; a peep and sights! Went out to sight 'er in and, man, had I ever got things lined up close to right! At twenty yards, my groups had opened up some, up to about full pie plate size, but these fancy new accuracy enhancing devices were gonna work, soon as I fine tuned them some and got used to them. I'd move the site a bit and.... the group would still be the same size and in the same place. Move the sight some more, the group would still be the same size and in the same place. Move it some more, still the same result. It took me quite a while, you've probably noticed I'm not overly bright, but I finally realized I was still instinctively shooting; I'd get the peep, sight and spot on target all lined up and, as I released my fingers, my mind would force my form to compensate to hit the target. My arm kept wanting to move, I could feel it 'fighting' me, even after I figured out what I was doing. Once I knew what was going on, I could still feel my left hand trying to jerk the bow onto target. I actually had the sight about a foot and a half low left! Took real hard concentration to ever get sight sighted in. I've caught myself doing the same thing with my Cougar.

Another thing I think reinforces Sonny's Thread; while still instinctively shooting, I would have three, four inch groups at twenty yards. I'd have three, four inch groups at thirty yards; the same at forty; perhaps five inches, but basically the same groups at all distances. Of course, beyond forty yards was well out of bow range, so never shot farther. {:>)

The point being, a synchronized mind and body can overcome less than perfect tuning, as is Sonny's point, as well as conscious attempts at changing it. The human mind is quite the computerized aiming devise.

Hi, Spiker!

o
    Last edited by otisT; 04-23-2013 at 01:00 AM.