Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rain, rain and more rain forecasted

Sonny Thomas

Default Rain, rain and more rain forecasted

Mother Nature let Spring come, but it ain't pretty. Started raining day before yesterday and really cut loose yesterday. Had to make a trip to Lewistown and it poured something fierce and thought sure hail was going to take out my wind shield. 3:30 am today, we are up. Eveland Creek runs down the middle of our property and we could hear the water rushing. Went out and we've lost the upper wall abutment of our 8 foot culvert and lost maybe two feet of the drive that goes over the top. The upper wall was made of railroad ties spiked together and chained to the lower wall. Lower wall same is half gone. Been in place for 20 years. So we may not make it out and will have to call for needs items to rebuild the abutments.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow Sonny that's a rough morning. Mother nature sure can be wicked sometimes huh? My prayers are with you guys hopefully that'll be all the damage you see this spring...
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Hope all goes well for ya Sonny!

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Sonny Thomas

Well, the old saying, Cheer up, things could be worse. Well, they got worse. The whole county and others are suffering. At the moment the wife and I are house locked. No way out except by boat and no boat.
    If not enough the temperature is dropping and possible snow showers are forecasted. And then we may have two days with little to no rain and then rain for two or three days in a row.

Luckily, I hope, our house is built four feet above where the water is now.

Here's some pics.

The first pic shows how much I had to get my truck across before the tile went. You can the drive showing and see the next pic of my truck. That's a 8 foot tall tile. The upper wing wall for the tile was made of railroad ties spiked together and chained to the opposite wing wall. Both walls were sucked down stream, no where to be seen.

Got truck across the drive over culvert that isn't there any more. Tried to turn around and as soon as the front wheel left the gravel drive it sank to the frame. Tried to use my ATV for weight on the back end of the truck and like to went over. The water was so deep that my ATV tried floating because of the ballon type tires. Only keeping moving kept the water spread so it couldn't get to the air filter of the ATV.

My Allis Chamers DW 45.

Our garage is in 16 inches of water. We've lived here since Sept 1981 and never has water ever even got to the garage. The coon ornament by the garage door is no longer visable. The large steel tool truck box, I had to go drag it to high ground because decided to float off.

My target butt is some 50 yards from the creek that is normal 8 feet below the bottom of the butt.
    Our pup female lab was just having a ball, splashing over the place. I got her retrieve 2 of my "stump" targets that were heading for the bigger flooded area.

By the "100 year flood plain" history, flood insurance was never needed.

Our garage is worst hit, all paneled and insultated. We've had boxed videos stacked up and of the bottom boxes we probably lost 200 or more. I had one computer sitting on the floor when searching for something and forgot about it. Luckily, when I had the garage built I had all electrical outlets put in from above and 4 feet off the floor. Worst of all, the gas cans started floating and one plastic gas can leaked. I also had the garage with it's own power supply and shut it down.

Now, I got the truck out this morning. Not one hour later when we went out, there was the water, about six inches deep. By the time we salvaged what we could in the garage my knee boots weren't enough.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Sonny Thomas; 04-18-2013 at 08:45 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

It's really bad out by me too. Schools were closed and major streets closed. Saw a picture from my High School on the news this morning, they had a geyser coming up in the middle of the main hallway. All the rivers and creeks are way flooded, just hope it doesn't screw with turkey this weekend.
    2014 Lithium :: 2007 Cheetah :: Jaguar Take-down
    REAL AVID Field Staff / Bucks and Beards Scents Field Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Whole lotta roads getting washed out, not just gravel roads but hard roads. The field below the house is a lake. And all 3 of my ponds are overflowing.
    A little common sense goes a long way, unfortunately it's in short supply!

Sonny Thomas

Devastation continues for our area. Whole small cities have been evaculated. London Mills said evaculated due to the dike breaking. My sis is like us, stranded until things settle down.
    Adding misery to things, 36 degrees and must be colder because it began snowing a bit here and in the city of Canton.

So the water went down enough for me to get my ATV to my truck. Had to, the horn had shorted out and blaring away. Water just got the lower edge of the seats.

Of course, worse of all will be the clean up for everyone which breaks the heart as well. So much ruined and lost.

Post Thanks / Like

Man wish we could help. Keep your spirits up, its only temporary.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Sonny Thomas

Thanks all. One good thing about the garage. Maybe I can rid of some of the wife's collection that's taking up my reloading corner

Post Thanks / Like

See every cloud has a silver lining lol!