Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Martin Recurves- X-200, Hunter

Post Thanks / Like

Default Martin Recurves- X-200, Hunter

I like 1 piece wood recurves, grew up shooting them. Starting to shoot my Martin recurves after a year of (re)learning form on a vintage(1968, same year I was born) Bear Tartar, 28# @ 28"; this bow is in great shape and was pefect to learn on. Next bow I wanted to use is a 2009/10 Martin X-200, 40# @ 28", I had started trying to tune this bow last summer but stopped because every arrow was showing weak and I wanted to make sure it wasn't me; kept shooting the light bow. I added a fastflight string for a little more speed and low stretch; shooting off the shelf with a calf hair rest, split fingers with a tab.

Hadn't shot much the last couple months because I had been shooting my compound to get ready for a turkey trip, but when I shot the light bow really well I decided to try the 40#er. Tried the different aluminums I had and they shot OK but the are shaftes were still weak, even the 1916s(.600 spine) that were "supposed" to be right. I wanted to use carbons anyway and had some CX Heritage 150s(.500), full length they were weak with a 100 grain tip; started cutting them down and they improved. Still had some fishtailing and did some research, nock point was probably too low, raised it to 3/4" and things really improved. Decided to stop at 30", 2 1/2" cut off; I was getting the bare shaft to fly straight, still weak at times; still can cut up to an 1" more off. Fletched up some shafts with 5" shield cut feathers; arrows weigh in at about 430 grains, should be enough to kill a turkey. Next bow to set up will be a 45# Martin Hunter.

First group at 10 yds, really like how this shoots right where I point it:

Recurves: 40lb X-200, 45 & 50lb Hunters, 45lb Mamba

Post Thanks / Like

Made a couple changes with the X-200. First, I went from 100 to 125 grain points for a little more FOC and weight; arrows are now 455 grains and hit the target with a thump. Have some 125 Magnus Buzzcuts coming to see how the shoot. Secondly, started working on quieting the bow down for hunting; added Bowjax to the string which really helped. Just need to add some calf hair strips betwen the limbs and string and should be good.

Nice group with a bare shaft:

Unwrapped the 45# Hunter and strung it up, looks great. Will get a FF string and set it up over the summer, hoping it will shoot the same Heriatge 150s.

Post Thanks / Like

You should be able to notice an upgrade in shooting your Hunter, espically if you have a longer draw length as it will not stack past 28" like the X-200's do. If you are looking to quiet the bow, you might want to try Beaver Balls on the string. In my experiance, they are much more effective than the Bow Jax's. You can also make some out of wool yarn, they work good also.

Nice looking bows!!!

Your shooting looks Awesome...great job!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Been shooting single arrows a lot lately to simulate hunting sitiuaitons, but I still shoot some groups. Released my last arrow the other day and heard the crack and saw pieces of nock go flying. I was only form 10 yds or so, but my first robin hood with a recurve.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DeanRM View Post
    You should be able to notice an upgrade in shooting your Hunter, espically if you have a longer draw length as it will not stack past 28" like the X-200's do. If you are looking to quiet the bow, you might want to try Beaver Balls on the string. In my experiance, they are much more effective than the Bow Jax's. You can also make some out of wool yarn, they work good also.

Nice looking bows!!!

Your shooting looks Awesome...great job!!!
    Thanks Dean. Draw length is a little over 28", haven't noticed any stacking with X-200. At 60", I like it for hunting turkeys from my blind, the hunter might be too long to maneuver much. The Bowjax have this bow pretty silent.

Looking forward to shooting the Hunter. I can shoot the 40 lb X-200 for a long time without tiring now, the 45 lb Hunter shouldn't be much of a change; the draw is smooth.

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on the RH, sorry about the loss of an arrow, but it tells you that your form is consistant!
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

After getting used to the heavier weight I went back and shot some bareshafts again, ended up cutting another 1/2" of the arrows and lowering my nocking point and the bow is tuned really good now, arrows fly to where the bow is pointed when I do my part. I am shooting the green X-200 the best right now and I would feel confident hunting with it.

Been shooting the 45# Hunter for a few weeks now, it is definitely a lot faster than the X-200 so I want to hunt with it this Fall. Have a couple custom strings(D-97) coming from Champion Bowstrings, then I need to add silencers and tune. Right now I'm shooting with the factory string and the same arrows I'm using with the 40# X-200, they are pretty close to the right spine with the lower brace height of the hunter, will probably have to cut them a little with the new string which should be a little faster.

Now I'm thinking about a 45# Mamba for turkeys from the blind.

Post Thanks / Like

Got the new strings in, added some calf hair strips to the string grooves and strung one up on the 45# Hunter, what a difference. Much quieter, great nock fit and I am shooting the bow really well now that I am used to the heavier weight. Shooting the same CX Heritage 150 as the 40# X-200 and getting pretty good flight with the bareshafts, still need to do some fine tuning. Playing with nock height now; the arrows are slightly weak, went from 125 grain tips to 100 and they showed a little stiff. I'm figuring that once I add some string silencers(have some muskox wool yarn) I should be good, if not maybe take 1/4-1/2" off the arrows.

Looking forward to hunting with this bow this Fall, it really zips them into the target solidly.

Getting good groups when I am in the zone and focusing:

Have a new target cover, just need to swap it out when I get some time.

Post Thanks / Like

The 45lb Hunter is just about ready for hunting season which starts in about a month. Just about done with tuning, raised my nock point to make sure I wasn't hitting the shelf, then bareshaft tuned. Cut the shafts another 1/2"(1/4" at a time), and the were still a little weak but close; didn't want to go any farther till I added the yarn string silencers; cut the fletched arrows to match. Was shooting really good today so I figured it was a good time to fine tune. Added the string silencers and the added weight was enough the get the bareshafts flying pretty straight side to side, very slightly weak which is supposed to be good because the feathers will make them act stiffer. I then worked on my nock point, was still high but as I stated I wanted to clear the shelf. Went down 1/8' and it got much better, another 1/16" and it was very slightly nock high, almost level flight. So I think I am good, will shoot with it like this for a few days then try some broadheads; after that I will take off the brass nock and tie them on(I like one above and one below for hunting). Will be shooting a lot now that work will start slowing down with tourist season just about over.

Probably going to order the Mamba soon, especially with the uncertain future for the business.

Post Thanks / Like

Sweet bows and great Shooting Capt!.