Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Martin Recurves- X-200, Hunter

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Double S, the Hunter is really shooting great now that its tuned, makes a big difference in forgiveness. The Gail Martin Signature you got looks really nice, similar lines to the Hunter but the riser is trimmed down a little which makes it lighter.

I like the qiviut(musk ox) yarn silencers, really quiet it down and very light. They aren't cheap, but I bought a ball of yarn for the same price as two sets of the pre-made ones, have enough to make them for many years.

Last edited by CaptJJ; 08-29-2013 at 09:53 AM.
    Recurves: 40lb X-200, 45 & 50lb Hunters, 45lb Mamba

Post Thanks / Like

Nice!. I still need ot order some Strings from Chad. I already have some hairy Beaver string silencers sitting around. I think I'll try them out. But Chad usually makes and puts on his own string silencers.

Post Thanks / Like

Chad is great to deal with, awesome customer service, he wants to get them right even if he has to redo them. I have ordered two sets from him and both times, being a newbie, I didn't order correctly; sent them back and he got them back to me and they are perfect. Class act, he also wouldn't take the extra money I sent him. I didn't have him put any silencers on.

Post Thanks / Like

I ordered a string from him for my browning Cobra recurve. It didn't show up for a 1 1/2 weeks even though he sent it out the next day after I placed my call. So he made and sent me another string and they showed up in the next two day. Darn USPS!. LOL. He didn't charge me for the second string.

Post Thanks / Like

Trying to get the bow/arrows fine tuned, shooting lots of bare shafts. Switched from a brass nock(easier to adjust) to tied on nocks since I had them flying slightly nock high. Turns out the lighter tied on nocks made the shafts act weaker. Dropping down from 125 to 100 grain points solved this. Not sure if I want to stick with the 100s or cut another 1/4" off which should make the 125s work. The broadheads I bought are 125s and its a little quieter with 125s, but shoots flatter with the 100s.

Tried a new method for tying nocks that I really like that makes them adjustable(no more need to use the brass ones). Had always used dental floss, but they can't be adjusted and the thin floss slides under the nocks and changes the way they fit. Here's a good video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YlYqDiJN8U

Tried the new nock method this morning, then shot some bare shafts. After a couple tries I had them right so they wouldn't slide and ended up with a robin hood at 15 yds.

Post Thanks / Like

Been shooting the Hunter a lot, and hunting with it this year, got my first deer with it a couple weeks ago, a nice doe.

Ruined another arrow with a robin hood early September.

Also picked up a 45lb Mamba to use out of my pop-up blind, mostly for turkeys; got a couple strings made, went with 8190 this time. The Heritage 150s that I shoot with the 45lb Hunter were too weak for some reason, so I decided to use the Maxima Hunter 250s I had. Cut them down to just under 30" and added a 50 grain brass insert and the bare shafts are flying nice and straight; weight is real close to the other ones so the trajectory should be about the same(better for aiming).

The Mamba is pretty close to the Hunter, just 4" shorter and a bit lighter.
    Last edited by CaptJJ; 10-27-2013 at 08:59 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations on your deer!!! Your bows are beautiful...enjoy them!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Dean, taking them to Ohio to try for a good buck the next couple weeks on public land.