Thread: Martin Rage ProSeries Draw Weight & Length Adjustments

Post Thanks / Like

Default Martin Rage ProSeries Draw Weight & Length Adjustments

Hi All,

I'm new to the forums and I have a few questions regarding an inherited Martin Rage ProSeries with Elite Limbs. I've attached a few photos for reference.

* Do I need to acquire or change modules in order to extend or adjust the draw length? Do I need to change strings?
    * If I need to adjust the poundage will it require a different module in order to do this?
    * Will any of the current cams/modules be compatible and be used with this model?
    * Will it require a bow press for this model to make adjustments?
    * Lastly, can someone please identify the cams/modules used in the bow?

Current setup is 26.5 draw length to extend to 28.5.
    Poundage is 55lbs peak with 65% let-off

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Any assistance I'd greatly appreciate.
    Last edited by ZPrime; 09-05-2014 at 04:04 PM. Reason: Adding photos

Post Thanks / Like

Your bow is from 1998 and has Fury cams on it. Google "Martin Rage" and see what you get. The Fury cams are draw length specific, meaning they are not adjustable. There were 9 different sizes to cover the draw length range from 22" to 30". I'm not familiar with the different sizes so maybe somebody else will chime in to tell you which size you'd need. I can say with certainty that Martin will not have cams. You have to find used ones, and I suggest a WTB ad on Archery Talk for that.

A press would be necessary for swapping cams and probably for string cable changing, too. Adjusting draw weight is no bog deal. Just like all compound bows you just back out the limb bolts. 5 turns on most Martin bows will yield 15#, so your bow should back down to 40# safely.

I will add that if you should find the right size cams (2" longer) the maximum draw weight will drop to about 45#. So if you have plans on maintaining the present draw weight range you'll need to find stiffer limbs, too.

One other possible option is to find a set of Z cams, which take draw length modules to change draw length.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Right, spent some time looking into the kit.

Its an M-80XRG
    Fury Cams Z Cams
    Let-0ff 75% (opt. 65%) 75% (opt. 65%)
    Axle to Axle Length 38" 38"
    Mass Weight 3 lb. 8 oz. 3 lb. 8 oz.
    Brace Height 5 7/8" 5 7/8"
    Sight Window 5 1/4" 5 1/4"
    Peak Weights 40#-80# 40#-80#
    Draw Lengths 23"-31" 24"-32"

The current cam is number 1 at 26 inches which is Fury.

How does Z cams work? If i choose Z Cams do I have to find a pair of modules for it to change draw length ?
    Last edited by ZPrime; 09-08-2014 at 07:16 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

unfortunately for you tho theirs no way to make it not shoot from the wrong side you lefty. lol

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ZPrime View Post
    Right, spent some time looking into the kit.

Its an M-80XRG
    Fury Cams Z Cams
    Let-0ff 75% (opt. 65%) 75% (opt. 65%)
    Axle to Axle Length 38" 38"
    Mass Weight 3 lb. 8 oz. 3 lb. 8 oz.
    Brace Height 5 7/8" 5 7/8"
    Sight Window 5 1/4" 5 1/4"
    Peak Weights 40#-80# 40#-80#
    Draw Lengths 23"-31" 24"-32"

The current cam is number 1 at 26 inches which is Fury.

How does Z cams work? If i choose Z Cams do I have to find a pair of modules for it to change draw length ?
    Z cams are a slightly milder cam than the Fury, so it will be a little slower. The Z cams do use modules to adjust draw length, and those modules are readily available on Ebay, Archery Talk, etc. Z cams are larger in body size than the current cams you have, so you will get less draw weight out of them with the same limbs, Probably 5-10 pounds less max weight.

Another option could be Nitrous cams. They are hard to come by, but can sometimes be bought through ArcheryTalk and the classifieds on this Forum. I actually have a Rage converted to Nitrous cams, and have converted 2 others for my brother and his son. You can use the specs for the Phantom made in the 2000's - the ATA was the same, the Rage just had a more reflexed handle for shorter brace and thus more speed.

i would not use any of the newer Hybrix or CAT cams on this bow. The limbs are not designed for those ultra aggressive cams. If you can find any, I would add some of the old limb fork reinforcing "buttons", no matter what cam you go with. Martin is not making replacement limbs anymore, so you need to protect the ones you have.

Best of luck to you.
    Martin Silver Staff Shooter (hopefully still) - current arsenal 2013 Martin Nemesis 35; 2011 Rytera Alien Z, converted to NitrousX C cams; 2007 Martin Pantera NitrousX C cams; 2005 Martin Cougar 3 Elite NitrousX B cams; 1999 Martin Fury (2) with 2005 14" Magnum limbs and NitrousX C cams; 1999 Martin Rage Twin Limb XRG with NitrousX cams; my kids shoot Martin Tigers, 1969 Wing Chaparral Recurve

Post Thanks / Like

Finally got the Fury cams that I need to extend the draw length to an inch. So, I'll be replacing the draw string and cables, too.

It's using a shoot through system which uses 4 cables and 1 draw string - 2x cables are at least 9.5 inches in length. I'll load some photos later.

Post Thanks / Like