Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: First time 3D shooter

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    Practice? Yes, but after the first shoot you'll know more of what you need to learn.
    x2 That will do it.

A.S
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

so 2 days before the shoot...it snowed! Just over half a foot! So it has been delayed until the first week in June....will keep ya posted!
    People keep telling me I have ADD, but they just don't underst.....SQUIRREL!

2013 Martin 60# (@44lb) Bengal Pro-Skulz!
    FletcherThumb Release, GT Velocity XT 400gr
    Ripcord rest, HHA XL5519

Post Thanks / Like

What a bunch of wusses. Snow should not keep people from shooting unless there's no way to get to the shoot. Here in central Pa. we have five clubs that have formed and participate in a winter 3D league. It starts about the middle of December and runs 15 consecutive Sundays. No matter the weather the shoot goes on, unless there's so much snow that the roads are closed.

Cold sometimes? You bet. I remember one shoot several years ago that it was so bad (Like 24 degrees and 20 mph winds) that by the time I got to target #4 I could no longer feel my bow or my release. I had to take the animals off the pins and stand on them while pulling my arrows with two hands and my back. Needless to say I not only had a bad score going, but didn't finish just due to so much work pulling my ACC's

Somehow, I deduced that 3D was supposed to be fun and this was not fun. Doesn't matter. There are some that brave the elements no matter what. I'm no longer one of them.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

What a bunch of wusses. Snow should not keep people from shooting unless there's no way to get to the shoot. Here in central Pa. we have five clubs that have formed and participate in a winter 3D league. It starts about the middle of December and runs 15 consecutive Sundays. No matter the weather the shoot goes on, unless there's so much snow that the roads are closed.

Cold sometimes? You bet. I remember one shoot several years ago that it was so bad (Like 24 degrees and 20 mph winds) that by the time I got to target #4 I could no longer feel my bow or my release. I had to take the animals off the pins and stand on them while pulling my arrows with two hands and my back. Needless to say I not only had a bad score going, but didn't finish just due to so much work pulling my ACC's

Somehow, I deduced that 3D was supposed to be fun and this was not fun. Doesn't matter. There are some that brave the elements no matter what. I'm no longer one of them.
    Now as much FUN as you make this....lol...the main issue was that the animals/targets were not in the ground yet and the ground here is still frozen. I mean they call it the Rubber Boot Shoot, so I'm thinking you're going to get dirty either way. Here's hoping that we don't have any other freak weather between now and June!

Ripcord rest, HHA XL5519

Sonny Thomas

Default First time 3D shooter

Quote Originally Posted by CarlosII View Post
    i'm surprised nobody mentioned practicing judging distance.
    That's because it isn't something you can learn in a few days. Either you got it or you don't. Some people practice it a lot and still never get it. To some it just comes naturally. Practice? Yes, but after the first shoot you'll know more of what you need to learn.
    Gots to agree with Barry. Judging yardage is secondary for the first couple of 3Ds. Getting use to shooting 3D is enough to handle. Them dang 3D critters are something different than shooting targets in your back yard. They jump the string more than targets in your back yard

Once going I usually suggest that a newbie have decent binoculars and watch the "gooder" shooters and note the different archery equipment/accessories as it might give insight to something better to have or change to later on.

Judging yardage, I can rattle off a bunch, but....

Like Barry, I have...changed a bit. I use to shoot 3D in snow to my knees. And way back McKenzies were the targets. Pulling arrows from them frozen critters was the need for shooting in a group. 2 or 3 to hold the target and 2 or 3 to pull the arrow. Gots tired of that pretty quick, pulling the arrow, not the shooting in a group.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's another hint to learning about 3D that I rarely ever read in forums. If you are shooting local 3D's the rules are usually fairly loose. Most experienced shooters may let you, or even suggest that you don't shoot from long stakes, but walk up on targets till you feel comfortable. Afterall, it's supposed to be fun and fun to learn and nothing discourages people more than losing a lot of arrows right off the bat. If walking up a few yards closer just keep in mind that you want to shoot at close to the same angle as was originally planned for safety sake. You can alwasy start shooting longer shots as you gain experience and your distance skills improve, along with your confidence.
    Alien Mafia
    PADI AOW Diver

Sonny Thomas

Default First time 3D shooter

Here's another hint to learning about 3D that I rarely ever read in forums. If you are shooting local 3D's the rules are usually fairly loose. Most experienced shooters may let you, or even suggest that you don't shoot from long stakes, but walk up on targets till you feel comfortable. Afterall, it's supposed to be fun and fun to learn and nothing discourages people more than losing a lot of arrows right off the bat. If walking up a few yards closer just keep in mind that you want to shoot at close to the same angle as was originally planned for safety sake. You can alwasy start shooting longer shots as you gain experience and your distance skills improve, along with your confidence.
    Yes, this is very much allowed for newbies. Our club does this, but scores are not allowed to be posted.

Me, I try to shoot from the Cub stake, but they won't let me. Bummer...

Post Thanks / Like

To be honest most of our local club shoots seem to cater to the masses, that being bowhunters who shoot 3D. They understand that target shooters are a minority. Most of the guys just want to get out and shoot their bows and socialize. To that end most keep shots within 40 yards with an occasional 45 yarder. Then there are seniors like me who don't have to shoot over 35 yards, although I do on occasion just so I don't go brain dead. Then there's a 25 yard max stake for traditional, women, and kids.

This is why I like shooting local instead of all the IBO and ASA sanctioned shoots. The rules aren't so stupid, yardages are in the realm of reality, and people are having fun shooting---not sitting around on chairs waiting to do so. And it's more of a shoot-what-ya-brung attitude. Of course league shoots are different, but still not as infuriating as the big money shoots. And league shoots are open to the public anyway.
    Alien Mafia
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

At most of the club I shoot at they have hunter steaks and ibo steaks
    MARTIN BENGAL
    THE NEED FOR SPEED
    WALMART PRO STAFF SHOOTER

Post Thanks / Like

Default Finally made it to the Shoot!!

My first 3D Shoot was this past week end, called the Rubber boot Shoot...you'll see why
    Had a great time, brought my 14 yr old son.
    Scoring was the basic X, 10, 8 and 5...and Zero. We both shot from the 30+ marker.

1456_10151691604020761_1001651334_n.jpg
    We had to get to the yellow marker first....

IMG_20130601_111301.jpg
    35 yrds. Carter shot first, then me....little too close

IMG_20130601_113157.jpg
    Loins and tigers and bea.....just what the hell is that anyways??

IMG_20130601_131239.jpg
    Bonus target, shot from 20 ft tower. Called Bionic Deer...metal body (5pts..and one arrow..lol), soft inside (10 pts).
    Carter= 5 pts and one dead arrow, 10 pts for me...just!

another one in coming up in 2 weeks are are pumped to go again!! Just have to keep working on judging yardage.

Ripcord rest, HHA XL5519