Thread: Black Diamond 3D

Hybrid View

Sonny Thomas

Default Black Diamond 3D

Shot the Black Diamond Archery 3D today. Nice weather, a bit cool, but walking and shooting was more than enough to keep you warm and I stripped down to a t-shirt. My sidekicks didn't show so I shot in between groups, one having too many as it was and other a family group.
    Black Diamond does set some targets, 40 counters and this time they had a "pick 2 of 4" all Rinehart Catalina goats and "pick 3 of 5" all Rinehart turkeys. First time I've ever shot 3 turkeys in a row and shot 10s on all of them! Mercy! And the last target, a steel coon or a Rinehart coon. The steel coon was almost the same color as the target bale used for a stopper. I almost went for it, but one look at full draw I backed off and went for the Rinehart coon. Got to thinking and messed up shooting a 8.
    3 longest targets were a bedded Elk (50 yards), a Caribou (42 yards) and a Mule deer (45 yards). The Caribou was set right out in the open and freaky was judging it. We that thought we had it nailed for distance shot high 5s. Elk and Mule were a piece of cake.

We really didn't mess around shooting the course. We started a little after 9:00 am and done by 11:45 am.

So I ended with a 385/400 (again, 40 targets). Black Diamond doesn't count 12s or X rings. So pretty descent score, but like the PSE Semi Pro in the group in head of me, I didn't turn in my score card.
    Black Diamond shoots both Saturday and Sunday scores won't be posted until way later.
    I believe it was said they had 62 shooters just today.

And the club had their chronograph set up. My MarXman's draw weight is either a shade more 55 pounds or a shade less that 56 pounds, so take your pick. The draw length is a measured 28 1/4". The Muddy Outdoors Virtue HT3 weight 322 grs.
    Velocity check was 284.5 fps..... So I think great.

Post Thanks / Like

Sonny,
    It sounds like you had a blast, good shooting.
    Don.
    I am sponsered by Louie Rangle-- Gator Feathers by Gator vanes...www.gatorvanes.com Deer Crossing Target shafts. Specialty Archery Timberdoodle ll rest. Bow String Depot Cables and String.
    I Shoot a 2012-SepterV and a 2011-Shadowcat
    I shoot Bowhunter, not barebow--fingers non-sights.

Sonny Thomas

Default Black Diamond 3D

Don, thank you. It's pretty easy to have a blast when you're shooting good, but then I have a good time regardless.

Sure did feel good to have a run of 10s. I dropped 6 points over the first 30 targets, so 294/300. The last 10 I dropped the 5 and two 8s.

Overall this is 96.25% which normally would give a 1st place finish. I kept records back when I was hitting every 3D I could hit, trying to see where I could improve. Believe it or not, 93.25% would land me in the top 10 and most generally land me in 3rd place or better in Free Style. And I don't see where the percentage has changed, not on the local club level and that goes for state sanctioned events, IAA and ASA.

Sonny Thomas

Default Black Diamond 3D

Scores were posted. If I had turned in my card my base score would have given me a 3rd. If I had shot the bonus target I would had landed a 2nd...down 7 points to ASA Pro Kevin Koch. So I feel pretty good about my shooting.