Thread: Stringwalking, step by step

Post Thanks / Like

Default Stringwalking, step by step

In the "Getting back into the groove" thread, I briefly outlined the basic "stringwalking" method. Remembering back to when I learned this aiming system from a lovely lady, the most difficult part to understand was how to gauge how far down the string to move, Beverly told me that she used the upper portion of her tab, as her guide, further explaiming that she had divided the upper forefinger part of the tab into quarters. Peace responded to my post, saying that he's almost understanding what I was saying, so I took some photos to illustrate what I was talking about.
    In this 1st pic, I'm holding 3 fingers under the nocked arrow, holding here, when I draw and anchor forefinger in corner of mouth, when I put the point of the arrow on the spot of the traget at 30 yds, that is where the arrow will hit. I have'nt tried any of the other positions that I'm about to show, and so have no idea where they will impact.

The 2nd pic shows how I find a hold at the tab split, A being the bottom of the nocked arrow, and B is my thumbnail is over the split, the 3rd pic shows the hold at that point. Note the gap.

See 2nd post for more.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

Default Part 2

And here's the rest. Had too many photos and smileys for one post.
    The 4th pic shows the quartered marked forefinger part of the tab B
    5th pic shows selecting a half forefinger hold,( ( A ) and the last pic shows the hold, C

Hope this clears thing up a bit, if not ask me more questions.
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

Makes more sense w/ the pics. Thanks for taking the time. Thank your photographer as well.
    2013 PANTERA w/ cloaked cams, PINK Meta peep, PINK/BROWN BSD strings, PINK/BROWN BowJax, Truglo Range Rover Pendulum Site, Shockwave Stabilizer
    2012 Onza III w/cloaked cams, Meta peep, Truglo Micro Brite, Shockwave Stabilizer
    2010 G5 Quest Primal
    True-Fire Hardcore and Winn Free Flight releases
    Maxima's tipped w/ RAGE broadheads (some w/ PINK fletching)

Post Thanks / Like

I was wondering why in the competition rule book changing the finger placement was illegal. I tried this method out after I read your post. Just really really cool idea and works. I love these forums!

Post Thanks / Like

Great explanation Elkslayer. I think you really made it understandable with the pics + description. The "Masters of the Barebow" video series also gives a great video demonstration of the method.

mike
    Mike Tichenor - President Deep River Bowmen
    Martin Jaguar - Trad Tech Titan - Hoyt Elan

Sonny Thomas

Default Stringwalking, step by step

Quote Originally Posted by nshepro View Post
    I was wondering why in the competition rule book changing the finger placement was illegal. I tried this method out after I read your post. Just really really cool idea and works. I love these forums!
    Arguments of finger placement have went on for years. Ain't no joke here. One of our club members refused to attend the IAA State Convention because of the hour(s) long arguments over finger placement and number of.
    Personal opinion; I think it's stupid. I really don't care how many fingers or how they are placed. Just no marks.

One of the finest string walkers I knew was Jim Selkirk, gone these many years. He was the recipient of some prestigious NFAA award for Traditional shooters. This award (and forget the name) has been won by only a very few people.

String walking, if marked, is something of another animal. Outright "wars" have been started over this.

And string walking isn't just limited to stick and recurve bows. Works for compound bows also.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny Thomas View Post
    Arguments of finger placement have went on for years. Ain't no joke here. One of our club members refused to attend the IAA State Convention because of the hour(s) long arguments over finger placement and number of.
    Personal opinion; I think it's stupid. I really don't care how many fingers or how they are placed. Just no marks.

One of the finest string walkers I knew was Jim Selkirk, gone these many years. He was the recipient of some prestigious NFAA award for Traditional shooters. This award (and forget the name) has been won by only a very few people.

String walking, if marked, is something of another animal. Outright "wars" have been started over this.

And string walking isn't just limited to stick and recurve bows. Works for compound bows also.
    I'm sure that it would, but like the yardage marks on a sight, your gaps would be much smaller.
    Stringwalking combined with facewalking caused a huge rules war in the early 70's. Facewalking is the use of mutiple anchors; differnt positions on the face.
    The use of marks is'nt necessary , I used to count wraps of the serving. Because of the relative size of your arrow point, you have to use the figure 8 sight picture that Sonny mentioned in another post.