Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How many turns on limb bolts?

Post Thanks / Like

Default How many turns on limb bolts?

How many turns can I go out on limb bolts for the older Martin bows? I'm working my way up to 80+ lbs on one of my Gen 1 Onzas and I wonder how far down I can start in order to work my way up.

Post Thanks / Like

It is usually 5 turns out from max weight. Just watch the barrel nuts that the limb bolts screw through, if you start seeing the end of the screw, turn it back in a half a turn and call it good.

Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

It's around 3 pounds per turn, equally on both bolts, ( If you turn one turn the other the same amount). Only for a very limited time/ shots, would I go below minimum weight of the bow, Example my 96 Firecat is a 55-70 pound bow. thats 5 turns max on mine .. You "SHOULD" be able to turn them out far enough to drop your strings without a press and still have 4-5 turns in the barrel but put in a vise just in case before trying this. There was one person here who had surgery on his shoulder and shot his turned down 8-10 turns to work back up but again for a very limited time
    Mac
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to
    The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life

'96 Firecat, '66 Herters

Post Thanks / Like

I took the bow to 5 turns out last night, gave me about 70 lbs, perfect to start building up to my end goal weight on the bow of 80-85lbs. I was not sure what the weight would be since this is another frankenbow project. I just need to get my Nitro 1.5s, 65% letoff at that weight isn't much fun.

Post Thanks / Like

Just curious, but why in God's name would you want to pull 80-85 lbs?
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps

Post Thanks / Like

I'm setting up a moose hunt for fall of '14, going to shoot at about 75lbs for that (I know my current rig at 64 lbs will do, but that will go along as my backup bow). I also intend to do a cape buffalo hunt in a few years and would like to be at 80lbs. This isn't my every day bow, I want my shoulders to last.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OnzaXX View Post
    I took the bow to 5 turns out last night, gave me about 70 lbs, perfect to start building up to my end goal weight on the bow of 80-85lbs. I was not sure what the weight would be since this is another frankenbow project. I just need to get my Nitro 1.5s, 65% letoff at that weight isn't much fun.
    HOLY COW !! 5 turns and DOWN to 70 .... uh ... frankenbow isn't kiddin around, I agree " why in gods name would you want to pull 80-85 pounds"... is this a "because i can" thing??
    I'm pretty sure even some of the exotic hunters aren't shooting that high with the speeds of newer bows and the kinetic energy they produce high poundage is kindof a thing of the past
    mac
    Last edited by macflash; 05-06-2013 at 09:52 PM.
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to
    The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life

'96 Firecat, '66 Herters

Post Thanks / Like

If you are really looking for energy (110+ ft-lbs) for large animals, you may want to consider a different set-up. I helped my brother get ready for a cape buffalo hunt in Africa, we tried different heavy weight bows, tried heavy limbs on an Alien-X, we had issues with risers flexing so much that they were derailing, and had a cam collaspe. He ended up buying a Matthews (yuk) Monster Safari (87#), shooting a 1000gr arrow, and it was the right decision, as that bow is designed from the ground up for the heavy poundage. It is expensive, but so was his $30k trip!
    Last edited by DeanRM; 05-07-2013 at 07:49 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

When I started the build, I was looking for 8H limbs, but could only find 10H limbs, hence the higher poundage. I have it at 4.5 turns out with Z cams, waiting for my nitro 1.5 cams to arrive. It actually draws and holds pretty well, it will be a bit easier once I can get 80% vice the 65% that I'm getting now. Right now, I can draw about 80 lbs while keeping the bow level and down range, just not after 100-200 shots while practicing.

If I recall, this bow was availible in up to 100 lb draw weights back in the 90's

Post Thanks / Like

Default 80 lb

I used to have an 80 lb bow and I only weighed 163 lbs at the time. It was my only bow and I did not know better so I shot it anyway. My scores sucked, my pride was good, but pulling arrows was a bearcat in itself. Since I'm way smarter now (ask any "older" person), I shoot 62 lbs now and the bow is faster and I don't have to go have shoulder surgery. 80 is too much for anybody to use for any length of time. But it was fun to hand the bow to the "big" guys and watch them herniate trying to scale her back. Hurt shoulders plague archers all over, and I have seen guys that shot 2-3 times a week reduced to giving up our fun sport. I had one guy tell me he hunts elk with 50 lbs and has had nothing but complete pass throughs with proper stalking and shot placement. With big African game, shoot and then run like crazy!