Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How many turns on limb bolts?

Sonny Thomas

Default How many turns on limb bolts?

Quote Originally Posted by OnzaXX View Post
    As far as dangerous game setups, each country has its requirements on equipment. I think 100lbs for a bow is overkill for a cape bufallo, as long as the bow is generating 100 ft-lbs of Ke, one should be fine along with a good cut-on-contact head.
    Caribou, Elk and Moose don't have a history of coming after you and leaving you a wet spot on the ground.
    Cape buff run upwards of ton. Ain't nothing over kill for a buff. I like the Capstick (sp?) article I once read; Client; "Why do you carry a .600 Nitro Express?" Capstick; "Because they don't make a .700 Nitro Express."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny Thomas View Post
    Caribou, Elk and Moose don't have a history of coming after you and leaving you a wet spot on the ground.
    Cape buff run upwards of ton. Ain't nothing over kill for a buff. I like the Capstick (sp?) article I once read; Client; "Why do you carry a .600 Nitro Express?" Capstick; "Because they don't make a .700 Nitro Express."
    I've seen several setups where guys are shooting in the 85lb range with 700-800 gr arrow and having good results. I havn't maxed out my bow yet, but it should max at about 87lbs. It all comes down to shot placement on a big beast like this, and a guy with a big rifle behind you.

According to the backcountry calculator, 560 gr gives max KE at 87lbs, but that is using velocity over mass to produce the KE. I think I want a heavier arrow for more punch for sure.

Post Thanks / Like

That "Backcountry" calculator also says that anything over 66ft lbs is enough for Dangerous game, ie Cape Buffalo, Grizzly, etc. Currently you're at 21 ft lbs more than that! Hit 'em where you should and you'll have a new mount! I think you've got enough for T Rex as it is.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://cascadianbowmen.com/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade