Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How many turns on limb bolts?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mxtuner1 View Post
    With big African game, shoot and then run like crazy!
    Or carry a .600 Nitro Express rifle as backup.

A.S
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

I think with some of them, it is shoot and stand really still.

Get my cams this week, looking forward to getting the bow together.

Sonny Thomas

Default How many turns on limb bolts?

Moose are big, but don't need that kind of draw weight to down. For Africa, you have to stay on top of things as for hunting equipment. Some countries in Africa have a minimum draw weight of 100 pounds for bigger game. More than likely you may also be required to have someone backing you up with a big rifle. If by given hunting accounts, unless really on good terms with the guide, your buff might be a "dead" buff, but PH guides put the finish on them to make dang sure.

If you haven't I'd suggest you contact someone who has gone the really big, big game route. Most don't go into a draw weight building routine until the hunt is established and within a reasonable time of it.

I know at least 3 that have gone the heavy draw weight game trail. One is a owner of a local all-purpose department store with archery departments in all stores. He had a PSE Gorilla of 100 pounds of draw weight. His African hunt over he had the bow re-strung and gave it away to one who could draw it while aiming dead on. Yeah, there is no "sky balling" a bow as movement in Africa may get you dead.

Two others I personally know are something else. Both draw 98 and 102 pounds like I'd draw a rubber band (dang them!). Like you they were after bigger game, Caribou and Moose. Both these shooters have shot entire 40 target 3Ds and finish fresh as a daisy (dang them). And both have had bow failures. Heavy draw weight does take it's toll on the bow and limbs and strings. Finding arrows for these heavy 100 pound bows sometimes is pains taking. The right spine with heavy broadheads giving the most problem.

I do have excess to a dozen super heavy spine arrows, new, never been set up. These carbon arrows just don't flex at all! I think they were said best with 200 gr heads and heavier. Mercy!

I forget who and when, but I watched some hunting show, documentary style. The bow and arrows on-hand were said adequate, but the guide had the hunter fill the aluminum arrows with sand to give "punch."

Post Thanks / Like

This bow only goes up to 85, I'll probably keep it around 75-80 for the time being. I've had quite a few folks tell me 60 is good for moose, so I'll take my whitetail rig as a backup bow. This, if anything, is mostly a project bow for fun. As far as arrows, I'm going to go with .300 FMJs and 125 gr montecs on this bow. I also have 2 other sets of limbs with slightly lower deflections to experiment with. Both of these sets are early to mid '90s with the full bearing pivots and the older deflection markings.

As far as dangerous game setups, each country has its requirements on equipment. I think 100lbs for a bow is overkill for a cape bufallo, as long as the bow is generating 100 ft-lbs of Ke, one should be fine along with a good cut-on-contact head.

Post Thanks / Like

early "90's" I was shooting 92 lb, then down to 80 then 70 now 60
    MARTIN BENGAL
    THE NEED FOR SPEED
    WALMART PRO STAFF SHOOTER

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TEN RING View Post
    early "90's" I was shooting 92 lb, then down to 80 then 70 now 60
    Man your getting old!
    But I have a confession so am I and yes I have a bow that was maxed at 90lbs and I wore out the cables. Then the bow went boom.

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

but I was shooting them with a 400 gr. arrow only way to get 300 fps
    MARTIN BENGAL
    THE NEED FOR SPEED

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch~n~Son Archery View Post
    Man your getting old!
    But I have a confession so am I and yes I have a bow that was maxed at 90lbs and I wore out the cables. Then the bow went boom.

Hutch
    I walked in to the archery shop one day in the early 90's one of the guy said try that high country so i pull it back he said you are the only one to pull it 116 lb don't know why they even had it there and yes I am get n old I sure I will see a 50 lb bow some where down the line
    MARTIN BENGAL
    THE NEED FOR SPEED

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I bought a used Martin started shooting with my son. Didn't even know the draw weight. When I was in a pro shop I pulled a bow back and nearly punched myself. So I found out that mine at max was 90. Ouch!!

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Finally put the bow together last night, recondoc provided the 1.5 cams. I have it at 5 turns out and it is at 72 lbs. It draws nice and smooth, feels more like 65 lbs. I do need to get a string stop and bent cable guard installed. The stop I have is too short thanks to the increased brace height. I'll get some pictures up in the next few days. It pushes my cheapo 450 gr carbon arrows out pretty well. I'm going to run a few through the chrono tonight to see what I'm getting for speeds. I also have some A/C/Cs in the correct spine, at 368 gr they should scream (I'm only going to shoot a few, I don't like going down to 5 gr/lb for everyday shooting).