Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Shadowcat cam rotation

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    13
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Shadowcat cam rotation

    I have been told by a dude on archery talk that my cam starting point is not right. didnt get much help after that. sooooo, can any of you guys tell me if there is some truth to that statement?

    Its either 2005 or 2006, not really sure shoot thru and nitrous B cam. part of the problem is that the B cam should reach a max of 30'', i know for a fact that it is on about 30.5(which is my DL) and set on hole number 2 on the module. i had some problems getting the timing to stay true, that was sorted after a while.

    BH- 8.6'' and should be 6.5
    ATA - 41.1'' and should be 40.5
    String length - 56.8 and should be 56.25
    Cable length - 42.3 and should be 42.75

    My problem is that i do not want to damage the bow shooting it the way it is, but if its acceptable the way it is, i am happy ( simply because i wont be able to find C cams. apparent very rare and expensive)
    DSCF2258.jpgDSCF2260.jpgDSCF2264.jpg

  2. #2
    Super Moderator bfisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Middletown, Pa, USA
    Posts
    11,623
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    You can get some info by looking at a 2005 catalog. The rest from 2005 Tech charts. Both are viewable on Martin's website.

    The cams appear to be slightly over rotated, but not badly. The brace height for that bow is not supposed to be 6.5". It's 8.5" but that's the spec with C cams. B cams would be slightly less, like maybe about 8.25".

    From everything you've said so far just confirms that the cables are too short and the string too long. How is the draw weight? Is it close to spec with the limbs bottomed? It's probably won't hurt to shoot the bow as is, but me being a tinkerer I'd twist the string down and untwist the cables to get them as close to propeer length as possible. Then move the modules to accomodate your draw length.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

  3. #3
    Senior Member Ehunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Southeast Kansas
    Posts
    1,774
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    What Barry said. That should also help get your cam rotation closer to what it should be.
    2008 Moab 70# The deer killing bow
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#---2009-10-12? Warthog Frankenbow with Nitrous B
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

    Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    13
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    You can get some info by looking at a 2005 catalog. The rest from 2005 Tech charts. Both are viewable on Martin's website.

    The cams appear to be slightly over rotated, but not badly. The brace height for that bow is not supposed to be 6.5". It's 8.5" but that's the spec with C cams. B cams would be slightly less, like maybe about 8.25".

    From everything you've said so far just confirms that the cables are too short and the string too long. How is the draw weight? Is it close to spec with the limbs bottomed? It's probably won't hurt to shoot the bow as is, but me being a tinkerer I'd twist the string down and untwist the cables to get them as close to propeer length as possible. Then move the modules to accomodate your draw length.
    The draw weight in the bow at the mo is 58. bottomed out it is at 62. its pretty acurate. im just worries that if i get it closer to spec that the dl wont be long enough (need 30.5)

  5. #5
    Super Moderator bfisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Middletown, Pa, USA
    Posts
    11,623
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sa-shooter View Post
    The draw weight in the bow at the mo is 58. bottomed out it is at 62. its pretty acurate. im just worries that if i get it closer to spec that the dl wont be long enough (need 30.5)
    OK, so I assume it's 45-60# bow. 62# maxed is quite normal. I don't think you have problems with the bow. Just that you are concerned that it might be damaged shooting it as is. I don't think you have to worry about that. If the bow fits you and shoots up to your expectations then I wouldn't worry about it too much.

    I often twist or untwist as needed to make a bow fit me or feel better. When you change cam orientation, such as slightly under rotating the cams it changes the draw characteristics of the bow. Over rotating them often gives better speed but makes them a little harder on the draw. It's a matter of what your personal goal is. The fact that the A2A is long would indicate that the limbs aren't being stressed as much as if the specs were right. This could be a good thing in the long run.

    OK, here's a NEWS ALERT. Check the specs of the ShadowCat (target) on page 32 of the 2005 catalog. There it shows the Nitrous/NitrousX at 41 1/4" A2A. Brace height at 8 1/2". So according to this the A2A is very close. Remember that I said the spec for brace height was with the C base cam so the B cam would be slightly less (1/4") Again, close enough to go shoot the bow and enjoy it.

    Hope this helps some.

    Barry
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    13
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    OK, so I assume it's 45-60# bow. 62# maxed is quite normal. I don't think you have problems with the bow. Just that you are concerned that it might be damaged shooting it as is. I don't think you have to worry about that. If the bow fits you and shoots up to your expectations then I wouldn't worry about it too much.

    I often twist or untwist as needed to make a bow fit me or feel better. When you change cam orientation, such as slightly under rotating the cams it changes the draw characteristics of the bow. Over rotating them often gives better speed but makes them a little harder on the draw. It's a matter of what your personal goal is. The fact that the A2A is long would indicate that the limbs aren't being stressed as much as if the specs were right. This could be a good thing in the long run.

    OK, here's a NEWS ALERT. Check the specs of the ShadowCat (target) on page 32 of the 2005 catalog. There it shows the Nitrous/NitrousX at 41 1/4" A2A. Brace height at 8 1/2". So according to this the A2A is very close. Remember that I said the spec for brace height was with the C base cam so the B cam would be slightly less (1/4") Again, close enough to go shoot the bow and enjoy it.

    Hope this helps some.

    Barry

    You are the man, thanx alot. it makes me feel loads better knowing all is good.

    and btw, i have been measuring everything in metric and not imperial. ive been converting from CM to Inches as accurately as i could but i could have been off

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •