Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cougar is eating string!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Contact info

I was sure someone would have a contact # for Joel,I need to make a note of that myself.Thanks Hutch
    2012 Pantera Magnum 70#
    Oneida Strike Eagle 60-80#

joelc

I can tell you that Martin wont cover string or cable cost after more than 4 months have past. The serving wear and separation look fairly normal.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the same type of wear on my servings from the cam to module overlap on the nitro 1.5s. I don't have the wear on the outer track. I apply scorpion venom to mine every 500 shots or so and it seems to have stabilized the wear pattern on the serving. I just keep an eye on it now and continue shooting.

Post Thanks / Like

Probably be a good idea to have a spare set in your bow box(just in case)
    2012 Pantera Magnum 70#

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joelc View Post
    I can tell you that Martin wont cover string or cable cost after more than 4 months have past. The serving wear and separation look fairly normal.
    So are you saying that I am going to have to replace strings every 4 months ...OR are you saying that the bow is safe to shoot and it is suppose to look that way?
    Bought a Martin, Then my wife gave me a Rytera so.......I joined the forum.
    Then won the Elite on Archery Talk.
    I am blessed.

Post Thanks / Like

well, its one of those things.... the servings are there to protect the strings from excessive wear. It is safe to shoot as long as the strings are intact. If the actual strings start to fray or snap, its time for a new set. If you do as the others have said, and do a little tlc to the cams/modules you can probably re-serve the existing strings and be fine.

Just so you know, you don't have to send it to a shop to do this either, or have a ton of money tied up in equipment; the Martin line can be torn down and the strings removed with out any tools other than an allen wrench and some patience... just loosen the limb bolts a few turns each side until you can slip the strings off. If you do a search on youtube there are plenty of resources available if you want to learn to re-serve those strings yourself as well, or you can throw a new set on and keep those for backup in case of emergency
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps

joelc

Quote Originally Posted by wscywabbit View Post
    well, its one of those things.... the servings are there to protect the strings from excessive wear. It is safe to shoot as long as the strings are intact. If the actual strings start to fray or snap, its time for a new set. If you do as the others have said, and do a little tlc to the cams/modules you can probably re-serve the existing strings and be fine.
    What he said. Any place that the string or cable makes contact with ANYthing you will eventually see wear. Any tight corner that the string wraps around will show signs of serving separation and the serving will show signs of fuzzing where it contacts the string tracks. Unless the serving itself has been cut or the string beneath is damaged the bow is safe to shoot.

Post Thanks / Like

DITTO
    great pics !! I can see one of the string eaters in pic 2, even looks like it has a couple teeth, and the dust isn't just dust it's little bits of fluff from your serving, keep that string for backup, call Hutch, get one on the way, 220 will take aluminum fast so brush lightly, I would use a small straw to wrap it around .. say a couple 3 wraps on a spray can straw
    Mac
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to
    The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life

'96 Firecat, '66 Herters

Post Thanks / Like

Good eye Mac,that groove closest to the axl has the edge rolled up sharp.pretty easy fix
    2012 Pantera Magnum 70#

Post Thanks / Like

Update on the cougar string eater. I backed the limb bolts out and pulled the strings off. They didn't look that bad once I got them off. I could see where they were some sharp edges on the cams. I took a large nail, just bigger in dia' than the groove on the cam. I wrapped the nail with 591 grit sand papper and slowly work the edges down on the cams. Tested the surface of the cam by draging my finger nail over the edges and all of them seemed very smooth. Put the strings back on and turned down the limb bolts. Gave several draws to test her out and everything worked fine.

Hope this solves the problem and gives the strings a long life.

THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO OFFERED ADVICE.

Hutch, I think I am still going to order a string from you just in case things go "bad" in the middle of the deer season. I don't want to be left with my back up bow for several days while waiting on a string.
    Bought a Martin, Then my wife gave me a Rytera so.......I joined the forum.
    Then won the Elite on Archery Talk.
    I am blessed.