Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I am NOT a scout master!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default I am NOT a scout master!!

I went out to the 15 acres to do some recon. I have decided that my little lease is a horrible place to hunt.

rocks.jpg
    ROCKS AND CEDARS!!! Being sneaky is out of the question. Not even a NINJA can make it through this quietly.

cedar 2.jpg

And then you have this @#$! There is no tree stand, there is no pop up blind, there is no brush blind. I did find a better spot for my tripod and a decent tree with up close and personal shooting range. Too close probably.
    2013 PANTERA w/ cloaked cams, PINK Meta peep, PINK/BROWN BSD strings, PINK/BROWN BowJax, Truglo Range Rover Pendulum Site, Shockwave Stabilizer
    2012 Onza III w/cloaked cams, Meta peep, Truglo Micro Brite, Shockwave Stabilizer
    2010 G5 Quest Primal
    True-Fire Hardcore and Winn Free Flight releases
    Maxima's tipped w/ RAGE broadheads (some w/ PINK fletching)

Pyro

Nothing is impossible just got to think out side the square, my grandfather before he past away used lamb skin covers for the sole of his boots for stalking deer less than ideal areas

Post Thanks / Like

Actually, that looks like it could be a great bedding area, depending on what the grounds around it look like. Might very well pay off hunting the outside edges of that spot. Deer around here love laying up under cedars in cold/bad weather. Not to mention, easy to stay hidden from their noses. Grab a cedar branch, crumple the green ends, rub it all over your clothes, you smell just like everything else out there.
    2006 Rytera Bullet X 60#---2008 Moab 70#
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#---2009-10-12? Warthog Frankenbow with Nitrous C
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.

Post Thanks / Like

Set up a discret no flash trail camera and you might be suprised. I did so last year in a little strip of woods much the same and had 8 shootable bucks come through in 1 week. Get in there and build youself a brush blind or two so you can play the wind. I am always amazed at the (little) places that hold deer. Unfourtunate for me they turned 300+ head of calltle loose and 1 week later looked like someplace they'd sprayed Agent Orange on.

Post Thanks / Like

I concur with the other guys, that actually might be a better place to hunt than one that is easy walking around in. I don't think much is going to bother deer in there.

A.S
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

There are several problems here. There is NO way to access any portion with out making noise, the rocks are on top of rocks. The trails are narrow. There is no flat ground. There are very few trees to get above the wind that swirls constantly. I did find one tree about 15' off the property line that I can hang a stand about 15' up the problem is getting there with out being heard. I am going to relocate a taller 3pod off of a main trail, I drew back 3 times last year but got busted each time, they were to close.
    2013 PANTERA w/ cloaked cams, PINK Meta peep, PINK/BROWN BSD strings, PINK/BROWN BowJax, Truglo Range Rover Pendulum Site, Shockwave Stabilizer
    2012 Onza III w/cloaked cams, Meta peep, Truglo Micro Brite, Shockwave Stabilizer
    2010 G5 Quest Primal
    True-Fire Hardcore and Winn Free Flight releases
    Maxima's tipped w/ RAGE broadheads (some w/ PINK fletching)

Post Thanks / Like

The top pics looks like some area's I hunt in. Sometimes I have to take my boots off and sneak around in my Wool socks...Watching out for Cacti and Rattlers.

Some other hunters might be thinking the same as you and won't want to take the time to hunt that section. The only way to know is to put visual time in personally or with a trail camera. I only hunt from the ground So I'm already looking in your pics where I would make cutouts and natural ground blinds from the cut down branches and anything else laying on the ground. make sure you wear gloves when moving stuff or cutting branches. Put some trail cameras up and find out the movements times, whether they bed there or pass through. They will either come in to bed or leave early to feed. You need to be on one of those trails to close the door when needed. Play the wind and do your best with scent control. Happy hunting my friend!. You'll need to go in early as sneaky as possible before the sun shows.

Post Thanks / Like

Do you have a map view (overhead) of the property? I'd bet that you could find some solid places to put up a stand or location to place a blind. Cedars are known to be prime rubbing trees in my area.
    2007 Cheetah :: Jaguar Take-down
    REAL AVID Field Staff

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

15 acres????? Seems way small... I guess if you have a great surrounding population it would be good. In the state of ms, all land is leased to hunt, privately hunt, hunting club, or gov land which is still hunted. Drive down the interstate, see a clear cut, full of box stands from Memphis to Mccomb, 15 acres here wouldn't be worth ur time .... When u hunt here you are surrounded by other hunters on other properties and they aren't as conservative as you , especially if they are coonasses "louisianna folks " which we are infested with . I have so many stories. We should sit around a fire and share one day

Ionia(I-OWN-YA)Mi a prison town,go figure
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow! I'll hunt it for ya! Wear some old grey jeans and hoodie, pop a squat in a downfall a few yards off the main trail n wac 'em. No such thing as too close. I've shot 'em at 6ft before and have been with literal spitting distance of several others. Make some makeshift bootcovers out of and old blanket and keep your eyes peeled.
    '14 ChillR 28.5"/74# Extreme Recon sight,Schaffer Opposition rest,LS modular stab, Beman ICS Hunter 340