Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Noisy Martin Bengal

dmd

Angry Noisy Martin Bengal

New Martin Owner. I bought the bow for my 15 year old. 08 Bengal 27 inch 58lbs. I have checked the tiller and even removed the sight and quiver. This bow is Noisy!!!!! We are shooting goldtip hunters 5575. The bow shoots grat and is very accurate, but cannot get past the noise. We have installed the new ultra limsavers and a limbsaver s-coil and it helped but still really loud.
    I have a reflex superslam and i thought it was a little noisy but this Martin seems twice as loud. We have tried different postions of the string leaches and even different brand. NADA!!! My Martin dealer ordered me the Martin STS kit for this bow. Hopefully that will solve the problem. Anyone have any ideas? To me it sounds like excessive string noise but having a hard time isolating it.

Any help? I like the look and feel of the bow but the noise is excessive.

Jacko

What kind of arrow rest? Anything with a spring will make noise! Also I have found, dump the leeches and put on good ol Catwhiskers! Try this cheap fix first! Had this problem on a customers Pantera, put on Whiskers and dead quiet!

dmd

whiskerbiscuit rest. I am running down and try to get some catwhiskers or something like these and give it a try. I dont think the leaches do a thing. Shot with and without and no real difference in sound. I have a martin 08 sts kit on the way. That should put the sound to rest, if not I am returning the bow and getting a Hoyt.

flytier17

>Your cam may be overrotated. This will cause a lot of noise. Check with your dealer, or maybe someone here can post a photo demonstrating a well-tuned M-pro, and an overrotated M-pro, so you can determine if this is the problem.
    >If you have peep tubing, get rid of it. This will help you gain speed. If you really want the tubing, experiment with different lengths.
    >Install leeches on your cables, one @ the top and bottom of the controll cable, and the anterior portion of the string.
    >Get rid of brass nocks or cushions, and use just a loop. Too much weight in the center of the string will cause excessive oscillating.
    >Check for loose screws and bolts.
    >Check for wiggly cam module.

The Martin Bengal is a fantastic bow, I would be tempted not to give up on it too readily.

Post Thanks / Like

Check what flytier17 said about the cam. The string rides in a groove. At rest there should be about 3/8" of the groove showing where the string comes off it. If there is too little groove showing then you can twist the string to give it some more. Be aware that this can shorten the draw length just a bit and lower the poundage. If you need to tweak these then you can twist the cable some. In some cases you might need to twist both the string and the cable, but only half as many twists on the cable as the string.

Also check for idler wheel lean, meaning the string should come off the idler wheel straight. You can just eyeball this, but a better check is to hold an arrow along the side of the cam, pointed down along the string and the arrow should be parallel with the string. If it's off then you can twist up one side of the cable's yoke to straighten the idler wheel out.

What is the weight range of the bow? If it's a 45-60 then you're OK, but if it's a 55-70 then the rigging won't be a taut which leaves room for more string/cable vibration. And this doesn't mean you have to max the bow out. Shoot it where it's comfortable.

If you need any more help keep coming back. We'll try to figure it out together.

Oh yeah, where are the string leeches positioned? Any type of string silencer does a better job of controlling string vibration the farther from the cam it is. I also think Cat Whiskers do a better job, but that is because they are heavier and slow the bow down more than leeches. Try the cam thing first.

flytier17

It is true the silencers do a better job farther out, but the handshock will also be greater. You have to find a happy medium.

I also prefer the Bow-Jax silencers to the leeches. They seem to do a better job on my slayer.
    Last edited by flytier17; 02-08-2008 at 04:38 PM. Reason: Grammatical error

dmd

Ok here where I am at this point. I want to think everyone for their suggestions and help.
    I looked at the cam and where the string leaves the cam I have about 3/8 to half an inch of the grove left on the cam. I dont think that is the problem. I am only shooting a loop that is served onto the string to keep if from moving. I have a served in peep with no tubing. Bow is a 45 to 60 and on my scale is 58. I checked and only have about 1/3 twist before it bottoms out . I tried maxing it out no difference and also going down to 54Lbs. nothing. I inspected the lims very carefully under glass and see nothing wrong or with the cam groves. Not much cam lean a little but only slight when watching someone draw the bow, not at rest. I am going back to the dealer and shoot another one and see if it has the same noise or its just the nature of this bow.

Post Thanks / Like

Seems like you've checked all we suggested. Going back to the dealer with the bow is probably a smart idea on your part. That would be my next move. Now you might find out whether you are dealing with an archery shop or a pro-shop.

dmd

thanks for all the help, I took the bow back to the shop and they shot it and agreed it was a weird problem. They took off the cam module and compared it with a new module of the same # and it was slightly misformed. They replaced that module checked everything and we then reshot the bow, The difference was night and day. Bow is now correct and quiet. They think somehow the plastic module was molded wrong or something. Anyhow they installed the Martin sts string damper on the bow for me and then we tried it again. It now is better than I imaged it would ever be for a 349.00 bow. I would say it is a better shooter and much queiter than my 500.00 reflex bow.
    If you havent tried the new Martin sts string suppressor I would advise anyone shooting a Bengal to go that direction. I allows you to even remove the string silencers and it is whisper quiet!!! It doesnt come with the bow but is avalaible at least for the 2008 model Bengal. It is already drilled and allen screw threaded into the riser.

thanks again

flytier17

No problem, glad we could help. Have fun with your bow!