Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wrist sling or not?

Post Thanks / Like

Default wrist sling or not?

never used one till a few years ago know it feels wierd shooting a bow with out one
    MARTIN BENGAL
    THE NEED FOR SPEED
    WALMART PRO STAFF SHOOTER

Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely, it is a great way to customize your rig.
    Martin x-200 unsure of year
    2011 Mathews z7magnum
    2012 Mathews z7magnum
    2014 Mathews ChillR (on order)

Post Thanks / Like

Not me, throwing my bow at the Mtn. Lion breathing down my neck is my only option as you cannot carry a sidearm while bow hunting. Wrist sling might get in the way. 125lb cat caught in Lancaster Ca. a few days ago. Just never seen the need.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm torn, th old girl doesnt have one but can only get up to 45 pounds, the firecat came with one and not sure wow I feel about it sometimes it's in the way but only when the limbs were turned down to 55 .. now that I'm up to 65 ish i like it(70 max out 2 turns).
    when the bow falls off after the shot I kinda like the assurance I won't drop it, LOl plus I need a new one and wanna give Hutch the business
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to
    The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life

'96 Firecat, '66 Herters

String builder/ Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

If a wrist sling is set right the one major thing it does is help you not to torque the bow.

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Bob, are you hitting the MOUNTAIN dew?I have one, it is real pretty Orange/red BSD special. IMO it just gets in the way though.
    2013 PANTERA w/ cloaked cams, PINK Meta peep, PINK/BROWN BSD strings, PINK/BROWN BowJax, Truglo Range Rover Pendulum Site, Shockwave Stabilizer
    2012 Onza III w/cloaked cams, Meta peep, Truglo Micro Brite, Shockwave Stabilizer
    2010 G5 Quest Primal
    True-Fire Hardcore and Winn Free Flight releases
    Maxima's tipped w/ RAGE broadheads (some w/ PINK fletching)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch~n~Son Archery View Post
    If a wrist sling is set right the one major thing it does is help you not to torque the bow.

Hutch
    Oh ???
    maybe mine isn't set correctly ???
    MORE INPUT HUTCH !! NEED MORE INPUT !!!
    mine just kinda hangs around my wrist, doesn't really have any play in how i hold the bow let alone torque, so I'm pretty sure it isn't set correctly
    if you could post some pics of a properly set one I know I would appreciate it
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to
    The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life

'96 Firecat, '66 Herters

Sonny Thomas

Default wrist sling or not?

A properly set wrist sling does two things. One, it gives confidence that you won't drop your bow. Two, you won't drop your bow.

Above said, confidence you won't drop your bow negates the want to grab the bow at the shot. You don't want it snug. You want it adjusted just to the point it give a feel that it's there.

Properly adjusted, you can get out of a bow pretty darned fast. You adjust it for the bare hand and then when gloves are required you adjust it for the gloves you use. Pretty simple.

Parallel bows dead in the hand? Yeah, right. I sent on of those parallel bows down range some 3 yards before it hit the concrete floor and it skidded another 3 yards. Try that and see if you don't get the "sick in stomach" feeling.
    Brand spanking new and I got lucky. Evidently the thick painted floor prevented any damage as we could not find one hicky anywhere.

Basically, if you're doing it right, you're doing what world class archery coach Terry Wunderle calls, "pulling the bow apart." It isn't and it is. The bow arm is to be strong, holding the bow out there until the arrow hits the target. The release arm is holding into the wall of the bow. The string released all remaining pressure is the strong bow arm. No pressure from holding to the wall the bow arm strength drives forward and so does the bow. Granted, weighted just so, the parallel bow does not "jump" like the older non-parallel bows.
    Last edited by Sonny Thomas; 05-08-2013 at 06:45 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I vote yes. Hutch is your pink, got a dollar on it. They help me on form.
    Ranger 6
    2011 Fire Cat 400 (Custom)
    2005 Martin SlayR
    2012 Mathews z7 Magnum
    2011 Prime Centerod
    2001 PSE Excellerator

Post Thanks / Like

In MY opinion the bubble level on the sight does more to prevent torque then the sling. It is a confidence builder though. When I taught my nephew to shoot it was w/ out one. He did not believe he was not going to drop the bow. It took awhile but he can shoot with out gripping down on the handle.
    2013 PANTERA w/ cloaked cams, PINK Meta peep, PINK/BROWN BSD strings, PINK/BROWN BowJax, Truglo Range Rover Pendulum Site, Shockwave Stabilizer
    2012 Onza III w/cloaked cams, Meta peep, Truglo Micro Brite, Shockwave Stabilizer
    2010 G5 Quest Primal
    True-Fire Hardcore and Winn Free Flight releases
    Maxima's tipped w/ RAGE broadheads (some w/ PINK fletching)