Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scepter V target archery

Post Thanks / Like

Default Scepter V target archery

Hello everyone,
    I ve already posted a thread about the tuning the fury xt cams and i am really thankfull for all the replies.
    I am new to archery and i am searching for a target compound bow.Most of the people in the club where i practice suggested hoyts like pro comp elite,pro comp elite xl,contender etc and a couple of mathews conquest etc and the pse supra max,dominator etc. Well they look fine but i dont know whether it would be ok for someone new like me.
    Well they all look the same to me(the aspects look similar with very few differences to some aspects).Remember,i am new to this thing.
    The major difference though is the difference in price.Not to judge the quallity of Martins.That's why i started looking at Scepter V.
    The bad thing is that i live in greece.The only bowshop has just a few compounds(maybe 3 available at the moment) and the Martin Archery dealer is located around 400-500 miles away from the place where i live.
    So if possible,i would like to have a detailed preview about the scepter v from a target practitioner and a suggested set up(Stabilizers,releases,sights,scopes,etc).
    Thank you in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to forgot to add this one.One more reason for checking for scepter v is the draw length.Being 6' 3" my minimum estimated draw length is about 30.5".The weird thing is that my coach measured my draw length at 31"-31.5" which removes lot of compounds out of the equation and the maximum draw length for scepter v is 32" according to specs.

Post Thanks / Like

Sonny Thomas and/or DonB should be able to help with this.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Sonny Thomas

Don't have much. No one talking about the Scepter V.

However, there is no reason I know of that would detract from it being a class act. 40" ata, 7" brace height, darn nice cams. Owning a 2011 Shadowcat, prior target bow to the Scepter V, I don't feel lacking for accuracy.

That you're located in Greece I suspect cost is pretty much even across the bow lines, so the Scepter V would fall in the top of the line, but cost less than the top of the line Hoyt, Mathews or PSE. This would equate to some $200 or $300 American savings.

Accessories I have for my Shadowcat; Archery Speciality Super Peep with kit, 30" Cartel stabilizer, Limb Driver arrow rest, Sure Loc Challenger sight frame with Grande Milliminum Scope housing and 4X lens with .029" fiber optic pin. Carbon Express CXL Pro 150 arrows with 90 gr glue-in points (70 gr with 20 grs wt) and fletched with Bohning X vane 1 3/4" Shield cuts.

Set to and velocity; 55 pounds of draw weight, measured 28 1/4" draw, arrows weigh 282 grs for 281 fps.

The Scepter V is rated a bit faster than the Shadowcat and faster than the Hoyts.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you very much for the reply and for giving a detailed preview about the set up!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Diang View Post
    Thank you very much for the reply and for giving a detailed preview about the set up!
    Diang, for your information the ShadowCat that Sonny refers to is almost the same bow as the Scepter V, except that the Scepter has a shorter axle to axle length; approximately 1 1/2". They both use the same cams, limbs, and string material. I'm not 100% certain, but the ShadowCat may have had a 3 piece riser whereas the Scepter riser is of one piece design. Maybe Sonny will chime in and verify this.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

I can honestly say that the Septer V is a great choice for a target bow. Sorry I can't speak on accessories, I shoot my bow practically bare. But bang for your buck, its a tough act to beat.

I would still recomend you release a few arrows before buying it if at all possible.
    Durandal
    Scepter V
    53.4 # 29.5 DL
    Victory HV Arrows
    Finger Shooter "Instinctive"

Post Thanks / Like

The only possible is to test bows from other archery practitioners.

Sonny Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    Diang, for your information the ShadowCat that Sonny refers to is almost the same bow as the Scepter V, except that the Scepter has a shorter axle to axle length; approximately 1 1/2". They both use the same cams, limbs, and string material. I'm not 100% certain, but the ShadowCat may have had a 3 piece riser whereas the Scepter riser is of one piece design.

Maybe Sonny will chime in and verify this.
    Yes, Barry, limbs, cams, strings, one piece riser, slightly shorter ata. Otherwise, not a great difference in both bows other than the banana curve grip of the Scepter V. It just feels a bit different than the standard straight slanted grip.

Post Thanks / Like

i have a scepter v that i bought through sonny's shop after he decided he wanted to go another direction (the wrong one imho ) being an older geezer i have the bow set on 50 pounds from its max of 60 pounds and i'm drawing 28.5 inches +/-. i shoot a 4X lens in a viper scope with an up pin mounted on a sure-loc sight bar. i have a 30 inch b-stinger with 3 1 ounce weights up front and a 12 inch b-stinger back bar with 9 ounces on it. i shoot easton light speeds using 1.5 inch bohning x vanes and 60 grain points with the insert which adds 10 more grains. with that i'm getting 265 feet per second.

i was concerned at first about the quick release mounting or the front bar but have not had any problems with it except it is easy to scratch the paint around the mounting hole if you're not careful. the mounting for the back bar is low on the riser, which i like. that's a good thing because there's no option for mounting it higher.

i thank sonny every time i go out to shoot this setup. i will say after a year's worth of hard shooting the string is getting a little frayed but the peep hasn't budged at all. what i'm saying is they put a great string and cables on the bow straight out of the factory.

i also have a shadowcat i shoot for indoors. its a little slower (actually a lot slower) than the scepter v. i also like the scepter v grip better than the shadowcat, but that comes down to a matter of preference.