Thread: Alignment question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Alignment question

I recently got a 2012 Onza3. I have it set at 28.5" draw, 58 lbs, shooting 28.5" Carbon Express 250s with a 100 grain point. I think I have it tuned pretty well. I am relatively new to tuning compounds. However, last evening I had the lower cam balanced on my toe as I was taking a little rest between shots and I noticed that when I visually aligned the limb bolts the arrow on the rest pointed about 1/2 inch to the left(I'm a rightie). The arrow did not align with the limb bolts and stabilizer when viewed from above. When viewed from a shooting position, with the string aligned with the center of the riser, the arrow is decidedly pointing to the left. Is this normal? Would a CE 350 be a better choice of arrow and bring the shaft back to center? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
    2012 MartinOnza3, 58@28.5, 2008 Hoyt Katera XL, 52@28.5, Martin Savannah, 54@28.5, Howard Hill Cheetah, 53@28.5, Maryland Bowhunters Society, Traditional Bowhunters of MD, Mayberry Archers

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Paper tuning it would be the quickest way to see if it is flying out of the bow straight. Here is a link for one method of tuning that works well. http://martinarchery.com/mtechforum/...eginners-Guide

The first video shows how to set up but the second video shows how to tune

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Completely normal your cams don't run inline with the limbs because they are a hybrid cam system you will have cam lean and your center shot will run left of the bows center if its shooting good don't even think about it.
    Martin x-200 unsure of year
    2011 Mathews z7magnum
    2012 Mathews z7magnum
    2014 Mathews ChillR (on order)

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to both replies. The bow paper tunes really well and when I visually line up the string with the left edge of the riser, the string and arrow are in alignment. I think I'll let it be. Thanks again!
    2012 MartinOnza3, 58@28.5, 2008 Hoyt Katera XL, 52@28.5, Martin Savannah, 54@28.5, Howard Hill Cheetah, 53@28.5, Maryland Bowhunters Society, Traditional Bowhunters of MD, Mayberry Archers

Sonny Thomas

Default Alignment question

Absolutely nothing wrong with your arrow and a darned good one.

Like WildWilt, note the bow string in the cams, more left of the center and if your bow is shooting fine, shoot it.

Post Thanks / Like

While we're on the subject, take a look at where the cams are located in the limb forks. They are left of center as are almost all bows. The string groove is on the left side of the cam. This is even true of single cam bows and pure dual cam bows, with very few exceptions. So what you are doing when tuning is trying to align the rest with the dynamic center of the bow, not the physical center. Dynamic center can vary depending on arrow spine, hand torque, cam lean and other factors. So when you tune the bow and get bullet holes, good bare shaft flight, or results conducive to your tuning method you are finding that dyamic center.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver