Thread: Banana grip

Hybrid View

Sonny Thomas

Default Banana grip

It's been a while back, but when I first tried the banana style grip of both the Onza and Nemesis I wasn't fond of them and I'm still not. So it seems Elite has something on the same order, a banana curve riser grip. I was just PMing with person who just now switched from the Elite with banana grip to a Athens with the standard slant grip and found accuracy he never had before. And he contributes all to the grip style, not the bows themselves.

Personally, I never had accuracy issues with the banana type grip, just wasn't fond of it. I believe the above person needs some instructions of how to place his hand to the riser grip and let it slip to where it won't slip any more. And this is something I never thought of when I shot the Onza III and Nemesis bows, letting my hand slip to the proper hold. I either did it instinctively or my hand was set to start with.

Pic of target below was shot with a Onza III. Basically, if my bow and shooting indoor target I would have turned the draw weight down and felt well armed to compete indoors...Well, at the local club or perhaps the state level.

Still, the banana grip doesn't allow the "slip" of the standard sloped grip. Problem; There isn't a lot of target shooters in here and those that are shoot the Shadowcat that has the standard sloped grip.

So, how many have issues with the banana grip? Or better yet, do you have accuracy one day and another day accuracy seems inconsistent?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ionia(I-OWN-YA)Mi a prison town,go figure
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm more consistant w a shallow,narrow grip like my HCA and the Athens Acc 34 I had. Next in line is the Martin saddle back grip. Much prefered over the older style Thermal grip. Not sure on the Elite grip. It felt similar to Martin's but filled my hand more. I would have to spend some time with an Elite before buying one.
    '14 ChillR 28.5"/74# Extreme Recon sight,Schaffer Opposition rest,LS modular stab, Beman ICS Hunter 340

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I have a 2011 and 2012 Nemisis and actually like the feel of the SADDLEBACK grip, but I do see where some people might not like it. I also have a 2010 Alien Z with the standard grip and I shoot it well. I would probably like it even more if the edges of the grip were more rounded. That might lead me to do some "hand" machining in the future and then a custom dip or powder coating.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

I have to say, when I first shot the saddleback grip I was very impressed. My Firecat 400 has that grip, and I believe I'm more accurate with it than with a big, fat grip.

I also haven't noticed any inconsistency in my shooting.

A.S
    Last edited by Arrow Splitter; 05-12-2013 at 07:36 AM.
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

When I first got my Onza and started shooting it, I was having consistency problems. But once I figured out how to properly hold the bow (I was still pretty new to archery and had only shot my Saber at that point) so that it was "torqueless" it was phenominal. Then again, I am now way more accurate with the saber too because of the experience.

I have shot several bow models now, basically anything I can get my hands on, and I gotta say I'm a huge fan of the saddleback grip. But, like you said Sonny, you have got to hold it so that between its own weight and the pull of the draw, it has no where to go... then its lights out!
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps

Post Thanks / Like

I was used to the old fat grips when I got my first saddleback gripped bow. Took me a while to get used to it, but I do like the thinner grip now. I do wish it was a straight grip, rather than banana shaped though. I use a slightly different grip than most people, further out on the thumb, and a straighter grip seems to settle in a little nicer for me. I will say, the thin grips have improved my accuracy though.
    2006 Rytera Bullet X 60#---2008 Moab 70#
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#---2009-10-12? Warthog Frankenbow with Nitrous B
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.