Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25

Thread: straight as a.......

  1. #1
    Senior Member typically8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Central Texas
    Posts
    548
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default straight as a.......

    Ok, can someone answer this question, why does martin use a straight cable guard rod? I noticed that there is very little vane clearance and if you look for an after market slide more then likely it will be to big and you will probably having vane contact.
    2013 PANTERA w/ cloaked cams, PINK Meta peep, PINK/BROWN BSD strings, PINK/BROWN BowJax, Truglo Range Rover Pendulum Site, Shockwave Stabilizer
    2012 Onza III w/cloaked cams, Meta peep, Truglo Micro Brite, Shockwave Stabilizer
    2010 G5 Quest Primal
    True-Fire Hardcore and Winn Free Flight releases
    Maxima's tipped w/ RAGE broadheads (some w/ PINK fletching)

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    414
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    8; because they work. Bows are supposed to be simple, I've done the Bowtech Flexguard and other ones with rollers and am not impressed. I see you read my post on the Bengal. I always use a drop away rest (Ripcord) and I always fletch with my cockvane out away from the bow, gives me max clearance and even by moving the cables in maybe a 1/16" I still have clearance for Blazers or the 4" shieldcut feathers. After several hundred shots the Flexguard quit doing it's job and I am constantly fighting clearance issues, sweet shooting bow if I could just get a rod on it.

  3. #3
    Sonny Thomas
    Guest

    Default straight as a.......

    T8, basically it's simplicity. Straight rods work for everything, just not all that perfect. I have the steel offset guide rod on my Shadowcat and can adjust clearance as I so deem.

    Just buried with the clean up after the recent flood I have yet to get with Canton Machining. I know Jack Iyman, the owner. Thoughts were to ask what it would take and how much it would cost to produce offset guide rods. From what I've seen of another marketing these the price is quite steep, like $45.00.
    Surely stainless steel and simple bending process can't be all that expensive, but then packaging and shipping has to be figured. And then a certain amount of product has to be made to absorb set up costs.

    Perhaps Joel could give us some imput....

    Update; I just pulled up the Martin store, but for 2010. The Shadowcat offset guide rod is under $15.00. So people have to want and perhaps offset guide rods can be had for other bows.
    Last edited by Sonny Thomas; 05-12-2013 at 07:35 AM.

  4. #4
    joelc
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sonny Thomas View Post
    T8, basically it's simplicity. Straight rods work for everything, just not all that perfect. I have the steel offset guide rod on my Shadowcat and can adjust clearance as I so deem.

    Just buried with the clean up after the recent flood I have yet to get with Canton Machining. I know Jack Iyman, the owner. Thoughts were to ask what it would take and how much it would cost to produce offset guide rods. From what I've seen of another marketing these the price is quite steep, like $45.00.
    Surely stainless steel and simple bending process can't be all that expensive, but then packaging and shipping has to be figured. And then a certain amount of product has to be made to absorb set up costs.

    Perhaps Joel could give us some imput....

    Update; I just pulled up the Martin store, but for 2010. The Shadowcat offset guide rod is under $15.00. So people have to want and perhaps offset guide rods can be had for other bows.

    If this was "JoelC Archery" I'd use bent steel rods. Straight rods work but offer no adjustability and they are more expensive. Go figure.

  5. #5
    Super Moderator bfisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Middletown, Pa, USA
    Posts
    11,544
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by joelc View Post
    If this was "JoelC Archery" I'd use bent steel rods. Straight rods work but offer no adjustability and they are more expensive. Go figure.
    Couldn't agree more. There's justification in having some adjustment. Why would the straight rods be more expensive? Because they are carbon?

    To answer the OP's question, though, clearance is clearance. If vanes or feathers don't contact the cable(s) then that's all the clearance that's needed. Any more than that and all that's being done is creating excessive twisting of the limb forks and the resulting cam lean.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    80
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    +1 for "JoelC Archery"!!!

    When can I place my first order...and do your bows come with a beer can holder?

  7. #7
    joelc
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    Couldn't agree more. There's justification in having some adjustment. Why would the straight rods be more expensive? Because they are carbon?
    Yeah...it's a materials thing. The cost difference is very small but given the numbers we go through it could add up quickly.

  8. #8
    joelc
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DeanRM View Post
    +1 for "JoelC Archery"!!!

    When can I place my first order...and do your bows come with a beer can holder?
    No, but the hats do!

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    414
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    OK so I am HYJACKING this thread. Joel, Martin is for sale, right. Why don't the employees that know this company buy it?

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Brookhaven, Ms
    Posts
    350
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    your joking right?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •