Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2004 SlayR issue...

Post Thanks / Like

Default 2004 SlayR issue...

Alrighty everyone, I posted a while back, in March to be exact. But I had bought a 2004 SlayR, I thought I had noticed a small hairline crack/splinter on top limbfork, but the bow shot fine so I chalked it up to paint.

Since then I've painted it, Shot it lots, and been having a good time with it, but I noticed the crack has gotten bigger and now I'm positive the limb is going out. I'm gonna call Martin tomorrow, but I already know the best I can hope for is a credit towards a leftover (which is fine with me) but I don't know if me painting the riser has completely voided the warranty on it.

I guess I'm just looking for input, hopefully for JoelC to comment and maybe save me a phonecall if its not worth it.

joelc

The odds that we will still have a limb for the bow are fairly slim but the option to trade in is always open...stock is dwindling fast though. I'd never hassle anyone about a paint job in regards to warranty.

Post Thanks / Like

You guys are the best Joel!

joelc

Quote Originally Posted by Jake-the-snake View Post
    You guys are the best Joel!
    If you can tell me the length of the limb (13" or 14") and the deflection number I can check to see what we have in stock.

Post Thanks / Like

Bow is on its way, I couldn't see the crack as well today as I could yesterday while shooting. Hard to tell but it kinda runs down inside of the fork as well. Thanks for everything though.

Jake

Post Thanks / Like

2004 SlayR had 14" limbs (my first martin bow). One of the easiest ways to tell if the limb is split in the fork is to twist the cam with your hand while looking at the suspected split. If it is a split you should see it open up just a little bit more.

I believe 2005 the name was changed to Slayer and came with the option of 14" limbs (325 IBO) or 13" limbs (Slayer Extreme--335 IBO). The riser was also lightened because the 2004 had one flaw. It was like a boat anchor.

I also suppose your bow has the Nitrous cams. Those were the good ole days.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Heavy for sure, but a great shooter, no complaints there. The bow also freaks a little more now as well when I was shooting it yesterday. Hope it can be fixed, the smoothness of the nitrous cams is unreal.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    2004 SlayR had 14" limbs (my first martin bow). One of the easiest ways to tell if the limb is split in the fork is to twist the cam with your hand while looking at the suspected split. If it is a split you should see it open up just a little bit more.

I believe 2005 the name was changed to Slayer and came with the option of 14" limbs (325 IBO) or 13" limbs (Slayer Extreme--335 IBO). The riser was also lightened because the 2004 had one flaw.
    It was like a boat anchor.

I also suppose your bow has the Nitrous cams. Those were the good ole days.
    It had one more than that to me...more so than the weight and that was the grip angle. It had a 23 degree angle verses the more desirable 17 degree angle...at least to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scepterman30x View Post
    It had one more than that to me...more so than the weight and that was the grip angle. It had a 23 degree angle verses the more desirable 17 degree angle...at least to me.
    Scott,

Where the heck you been? Nice to see you still around once in a while. You know, you might be right about that grip angle, but it's been a while since I had that bow so can't remember.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    Scott,

Where the heck you been? Nice to see you still around once in a while. You know, you might be right about that grip angle, but it's been a while since I had that bow so can't remember.
    I'm still here...lurking in the shadows. I usualyy can be found on AT a little more though...mostly lurking there also. If you ever refer anyone to me they may want to pm me on AT also as I come here every now and again to see if you fellas are still behavin. lol