Thread: Hybrix cam tuning

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hybrix cam tuning

I am trying to dial in my 2010 Alien X. I have set my tiller exactly even and the cams seem to be perfectly in sync using a draw board. When I set my rest through the center of the berger and the nock point at 90 degrees the bow will paper tune with about 3/4 inch nock low paper tear. I can raise the nock point to get a good paper tune, but still think that the bow should tune with a square nock point. Should I try letting the top cam start rotating on release earlier than the bottom by maybe 1/2 twist? Specs listed below:

2010 Alien X hybrix cam- with cable rod conversion
    28'' draw
    70lbs

28'' cabelas stalker extreme arrows
    100gn point
    25gn additional insert weight
    2'' fusion vanes
    5gn QAD tune-a-nock's

Sonny Thomas

First, that you set tiller, I'd reconsider your tiller setting. Any tiller adjustment will effect bow tune.

Most all bows rarely need tiller messed with usually only give a desired feel. So either max out limbs or back off equally.

Above done, recheck timing. Most all Martins I've owned and own and those I've set have near zero string nock setting. Most being right at 1/16" high.

Post Thanks / Like

While I agree with Sonny on most parts I still believe the whol diea of tuning is to adjust the bow to where it wants to shoot the best. If it means a slightly high nocking point then so be it. That's what tuning is about. I don't know about advancing the top cam to compensate as I've never had to do it, but I will ask this. The string groove is not in the center of the limbs. The rest is not mounted in the vertical center of the bow. So why would anybody assume that everything, including the nocking point, should always be centered or in this case at 90 degrees to the string. Don't believe everything you read or hear as written in stone.

I once had a bow that required the arrow to be mounted 3/8" above square. That's where it shot the best and it helped me win a lot of trophies over a couple years. Looked a little funny, but I've never had a bow that shot that good since. And that was a 1977 Jennings Arrowstar.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Just rechecked everything, cams perfectly in sync, tiller even. ATA=31.5 BH= 6 7/8 Peak draw weight 72lbs

I guess I will have to tune the rest with broad heads and call it good. My OCD tendencies want it to shoot perfectly square through the berger holes, but I am going to try and accept it.

Sonny Thomas

wegel11,
    Still wondering here. To set tiller you had to adjust the limbs (probably backed off which ever limb). This just doesn't right if you did. However much you backed off the limbs gives that much more to opposite limb. And most all tiller tuning is done to give desired effects, kick or tilt upon firing.
    Of today's bows I never mess with tiller as for specs. It is what it is and only shooting the bow does one change tiller.

Luck be with me or what, I have never had to tiller tune, period. Days of old, yes, tiller sometimes needed adjusted.

Draw boards are nice, but they don't give what you have when bow is in the hand. Machine/human differences.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry for the confusion, when I said tiller even, all I did was make sure the limb bolts were backed out even and verified by measuring between the limb pockets and a string attached between both axles. I did not "tiller tune" to adjust how the bow holds or shoots, just made sure they were even top and bottom

Sonny Thomas

Okay, thanks for clearing that up.

Thinking here (danger!), nock low would mean bottom cam rolling over more, over powering top. Two manners; One full untwist of the cable feeding into the top cam module or add one full twist to the cable feeding into the bottom cam module. Check positive draw stop and reset if necessary. Check to see what you get.

Post Thanks / Like

How tight do your nock fit your serving If they are to tight it will make it worse I have seen it make a differance in a nock low cases before
    MARTIN BENGAL
    THE NEED FOR SPEED
    WALMART PRO STAFF SHOOTER

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think they are too tight, but I can take a closer look. Sonny, thanks for the suggestions, I will give that a try and see what happens.