Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Should I change strings?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    91
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Should I change strings?

    Martin Pro-X Firecat, the strings appear to be in very good shape no fraying or broken strands anywhere but has been sitting for perhaps 15 years under reduced tension. Do you think they should be changed? Right now while I re-learn shooting, I'm only pulling 30 lbs.

    Thanks!
    Carl

  2. #2
    String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Gilmanton, New Hampshire
    Posts
    5,757
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Hey Carl, strings that old do break down. They are not considered stable or safe the fibers are probably broken down. General rule of thumb change strings every 3 to 4 years for hunters and every 1 to 2 years for target shooters.





    Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

  3. #3
    Sonny Thomas
    Guest

    Default Should I change strings?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hutch~n~Son Archery View Post
    Hey Carl, strings that old do break down. They are not considered stable or safe the fibers are probably broken down. General rule of thumb change strings every 3 to 4 years for hunters and every 1 to 2 years for target shooters.
    Hutch
    Yep. I'd change them.

  4. #4
    Senior Member TEN RING's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    western PA
    Posts
    835
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    On top of the peace of mind you will get from changing them, todays strings feel so much better
    MARTIN BENGAL
    THE NEED FOR SPEED
    WALMART PRO STAFF SHOOTER

  5. #5
    Senior Member wscywabbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Sultan, WA
    Posts
    1,569
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    good rule of thumb: "when in doubt, change them out!" Reason being that even if they were safe, even if they shoot ok, you'll feel more confident and shoot better knowing that you don't have to worry about them or a catastrophic failure....
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.


    2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    91
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Thanks all for the replies, in thinking back, I realize it was a foolish question, whether to change 15 year old strings, but I'm famous for asking such things!

    Carl

  7. #7
    Super Moderator bfisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Middletown, Pa, USA
    Posts
    11,547
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by carl365 View Post
    Thanks all for the replies, in thinking back, I realize it was a foolish question, whether to change 15 year old strings, but I'm famous for asking such things!

    Carl
    No question is foolish. What would be foolish would be not asking the question, shooting the bow and having a string or cable let loose on you. Never, ever be embarrassed to ask on these forums.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

  8. #8
    Senior Member macflash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Olympic Peninsula
    Posts
    175
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    No question is foolish. What would be foolish would be not asking the question, shooting the bow and having a string or cable let loose on you. Never, ever be embarrassed to ask on these forums.
    X2 here and Hutch can set you right up in that department, with just about any color combo you want, and then a new wrist sling to match
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to
    The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life
    .

    '96 Firecat, '66 Herters

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •