Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: doing the math

Post Thanks / Like

Default doing the math

Ok, so I have been seeing fawns like crazy. My best guess is a week old or so. The www says 200 days is the gestation period. So that should be putting the rut from last year around the 10th of October. which is early imo. It kinda stinks because that would mean pre rut was before archery season opened.
    2013 PANTERA w/ cloaked cams, PINK Meta peep, PINK/BROWN BSD strings, PINK/BROWN BowJax, Truglo Range Rover Pendulum Site, Shockwave Stabilizer
    2012 Onza III w/cloaked cams, Meta peep, Truglo Micro Brite, Shockwave Stabilizer
    2010 G5 Quest Primal
    True-Fire Hardcore and Winn Free Flight releases
    Maxima's tipped w/ RAGE broadheads (some w/ PINK fletching)

Sonny Thomas

Default doing the math

Something 190 to 210 days is given. But consider fawning dropping can begin in late March thru July.
    Deer aren't like humans either. They can put gestation in low gear, normally due to extreme weather or food conditions.

Breeding isn't wrote in concrete either. Many deer have been seen breeding well after Rut. Late January through March even. Fawn does of the previous year are coming into their first heat. Here, the younger bucks are still hyped up while the old bucks have done dropped their head gear and gone into seclusion.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by typically8 View Post
    Ok, so I have been seeing fawns like crazy. My best guess is a week old or so. The www says 200 days is the gestation period. So that should be putting the rut from last year around the 10th of October. which is early imo. It kinda stinks because that would mean pre rut was before archery season opened.
    The farther south you go the earler the breeding
    MARTIN BENGAL
    THE NEED FOR SPEED
    WALMART PRO STAFF SHOOTER

Post Thanks / Like

Have to disagree. The closer to the equator the later the breeding. In S. Tx it starts in december I would blame the early rut on the Drought.
    2013 PANTERA w/ cloaked cams, PINK Meta peep, PINK/BROWN BSD strings, PINK/BROWN BowJax, Truglo Range Rover Pendulum Site, Shockwave Stabilizer
    2012 Onza III w/cloaked cams, Meta peep, Truglo Micro Brite, Shockwave Stabilizer
    2010 G5 Quest Primal

Post Thanks / Like

Here in Ks, we always have a small rut in Oct. That's my favorite time to be hunting. A few does will come into heat then, but not a big percentage. Then the main rut in Nov. After that, there's a rut every 28 days until all the does have been bred. I've seen it last into Dec. before. Even saw a doe being bred in Jan. one year.
    2006 Rytera Bullet X 60#---2008 Moab 70#
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TEN RING View Post
    The farther south you go the earler the breeding
    Not true, exactly the opposite actually . In south ms, the rut is last week of December and first week of January at the earliest . Sometimes as late as February , actually more often than not its thats late. In Florida, during turkey season you still have full rack bucks running around.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by typically8 View Post
    Have to disagree. The closer to the equator the later the breeding. In S. Tx it starts in december I would blame the early rut on the Drought.
    Absolutely

Post Thanks / Like
    MARTIN BENGAL
    THE NEED FOR SPEED
    WALMART PRO STAFF SHOOTER

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the link. I read something very similar in a book last week, but could not post a link to my bathroom. Thanks for the link it was very intersting. The more knowledge, the more power. My big question now is what is the first rule and the last rule of ten ring?
    2010 G5 Quest Primal

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=TEN RING;104636]http://www.tinks.com/publisher/white...-times-the-rut[/QUOT so what , we have a late rut here, we have a later rut than two counties further north. theres a lot of factors that can change and affect the rut but generally it is later in most places the further south you go. not something i read on the internet, something i learned from hunting in different states