Thread: Replacing These Cables

Post Thanks / Like

Default Replacing These Cables

Martin_Pro-X_1990.JPG
    Martin Pro-X, Firecat. 1990's
    When the time comes when these cables need replacing, are the cables and fittings still available?
    Or, can it be upgraded or changed to a newer system?

Thanks,
    Carl

joelc

Not all parts are available so they will have to retro fit with parts on-hand. There are no upgrades available. This is a factory only repair and has a flat rate fee of $75 + shipping.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks joelc.

Another question,
    1. How are the cables attached to the tear drop and at the axle? are they soldered?
    2. Are just the steel cables alone without the tear drop and axle hanger available?

Martin_Pro-X_1990_cableattach.jpg

Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like

A lot of the long time martin dealers would still have some cables laying around I would bet
    MARTIN BENGAL
    THE NEED FOR SPEED
    WALMART PRO STAFF SHOOTER

String builder/ Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

You can still buy the replacements I did 2 years ago. The only problem is if you don't have the right crimping tool. You could have an explosion of a nice bow. The tear drops are a part of the cable and do not come off. There are 2 sizes one for the lighter weight bows and one for the heavy weights.

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TEN RING View Post
    A lot of the long time martin dealers would still have some cables laying around I would bet
    I would think so TEN RING, probably lots of cable sets around. Maybe on the famous auction site eb. If at all possible I'd like to keep these old Martins going for a little while longer.

Hutch: That's good to know. My dad was a auto mechanic and machinist so left me with lots of tools to do many things with metal.

Carl

String builder/ Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by carl365 View Post
    I would think so TEN RING, probably lots of cable sets around. Maybe on the famous auction site eb. If at all possible I'd like to keep these old Martins going for a little while longer.

Hutch: That's good to know. My dad was a auto mechanic and machinist so left me with lots of tools to do many things with metal.

Carl
    The crimps are special cable crimps. They have a special crimping tool it makes sure it can't come apart. Here is the link for the new cables http://www.eders.com/products/martin...-pr-steel.html While your there look for the swedges (crimps)

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

joelc

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch~n~Son Archery View Post
    You can still buy the replacements I did 2 years ago. The only problem is if you don't have the right crimping tool. You could have an explosion of a nice bow. The tear drops are a part of the cable and do not come off. There are 2 sizes one for the lighter weight bows and one for the heavy weights.

Hutch
    2 years ago maybe. Because our remaining parts aren't always available we retro fit with different diameter or length cables...it's a case by case basis therefore we cant just send out kits to fix em. If it were me I'd trade in the bow on something newer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch~n~Son Archery View Post
    The crimps are special cable crimps. They have a special crimping tool it makes sure it can't come apart. Here is the link for the new cables http://www.eders.com/products/martin...-pr-steel.html While your there look for the swedges (crimps)

Hutch
    Hey thanks for the Eders link Hutch! that's the ticket. I have several different size tools to do those wire cable crimps, I used one just recently when I made a bicycle lock cable.

Carl