Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cougar II MT-6 need sonme guidance please

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cougar II MT-6 need some guidance please

Hi Gang!

I'm new to this site, new to bows, but not new in general, I'm actually getting pretty old.

So my 11 year old son wants to learn archery, and we are on the hunt for a compound bow for him, and as I wish to join in and practice with him, I am in search of a bow to learn with. My friend has given me his old bow, a Cougar II MT-6 as shown. This has taken me about 3 days of net searching to figure out what it is..including a call to Martin Tech. I thought it was a Tiger, as it plainly says Tiger on the limbs, but after removing the little assembled by Jeff Mason sticker, I see it is actually a Cougar II MT-6. Very confusing having a current youth bow, with the same name as an older adult bow. So, not sure why it has limbs that say Tiger, with the Cougar model sticker, perhaps you Martin gurus could help with this. It looks like it is in very good condition, but I think it will need a few things to be ready to shoot. I don't see a cable rod on it, (is this a key item), it will need an arrow rest (whisker biscuit??) and maybe a new site. I'm 6'2" and need about a 29" draw. This bow looks like it is just right for my size.

Anyway, is it worth it to rebuild this bow to a functional outfit or would I be better off to look for something newer? Was this a good bow in it's day and is it still a viable shooter? I am pretty sure I will get hooked once I start, but I don't want to shell out big $$ right up front, as I want to focus on a new bow for my son first. Are sites, rests etc. pretty much universal as far as mounting, bolt holes etc.?

Your thoughts?

Cheers,
    Paul
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by kilohertz; 05-29-2013 at 06:35 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum! Always glad to hear someone trying to get into the sport especially if you're gonna drag your kids into it as well. Big thumbs up dad!

An older bow, especially a free one, is a great way to cut your teeth. I'm not familiar with your bow, so some of the more experienced members will have to chime in on it to help you get it set up for you. Accessories, for the most part, are pretty universal. My advice would be to find someone locally, either a friend or a coach at a local shop/club to mentor you and give you and your son some basic instruction. I'd hate for you two to develop some bad habits right from the get go from lack of info.

Beware though, its an addictive sport!
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps

Post Thanks / Like

Hi !

Thanks for the welcome!

Yes, I have found a local small fish and tackle shop who's owner is a bow shooter, and he bought out a store that went under and there was a selection of bows in there, one of which is the Barnett Vortex, which is what I think I will be buying for my son. The owner is very helpful and is a member of the local archery club, in which there are both indoor and outdoor ranges. Yeah! I saw the indoor range yesterday and it looked impressive.

I will await some further replies about my Martin bow before I start spending money.

Thanks again!

Paul

Post Thanks / Like

You could always trade it in directly to martin and get a credit (125$ I think) for a last year model of a couple different types.
    2013 PANTERA w/ cloaked cams, PINK Meta peep, PINK/BROWN BSD strings, PINK/BROWN BowJax, Truglo Range Rover Pendulum Site, Shockwave Stabilizer
    2012 Onza III w/cloaked cams, Meta peep, Truglo Micro Brite, Shockwave Stabilizer
    2010 G5 Quest Primal
    True-Fire Hardcore and Winn Free Flight releases
    Maxima's tipped w/ RAGE broadheads (some w/ PINK fletching)

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the site! You've got the best reason in the world to take up archery, learning with your son. Nice ole Cougar, from what I can see in your photos, it looks like the string is in good shape, it it waxey? or dry? If it is dried out, and or frayed anywhere, you'll need to replace it. You can remove the string without the use of a bow press, any of us will explain how if you need to do so. Check out Sonny's thread " Thinning out my archey stuff", he has several rests that will do fine for you, and not put a large dent in your wallet. I think that the larger problem will be adjusting the bow to your draw length, which your new fried from the archery club will be able to help you find. I don't know how adjustable your new ole Cougar is, some of the bows of that era where draw length specific. Finding modules to change the draw length could prove to be challenging.
    Other than arrows, you're just about ready to began shooting.
    Last edited by elkslayer4x5; 05-23-2013 at 10:24 AM.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks fellows,

Yes, my son and I are really looking forward to learning this together. We have 20 acres to play on will have many opportunities to practice.

As this was a gift from a friend, I feel I should keep it, although the trade sounds intriguing and a great idea from Martin.

I will look for Sonny's thread you mentioned and see if I can find a rest for it. Yes, string is in very good shape according to the shop, and the bow itself is in nice shape as well. As for the draw length, it's darn near perfect at 29", which is what I need, being 6'2" with a 74" wingspan. The draw weight is 45-60lbs which is also just right. Overall I think this will make a nice training rig for me. It also came with a Kwikee Kwiver which I removed for the pics.

Do you think the stock sight will be okay or should I look for a fiber optic type or a more current design?

That's it for now.

Paul

Sonny Thomas

Default Cougar II MT-6 need sonme guidance please

Nice old bow, but that's the problem, old. From what I can see there is no guide rod nor place for one. What it was, there was a offset guide rod mounted in a plate and the plate went under the mounting plate for the sights. Sorry, I just sold my last one a month or so ago. Big mistake as I should have kept it for myself...

So you lack clearance for what would be a normal set up today. Best I can offer is find a stick on tab to hold arrow or a inexpensive flipper rest. Best then would be feathered arrows.

The Cougar is also of the round wheel world, so very little letoff and more than likely you will have a spongy wall.

Probably one of the Bodoodle rests I have would work if you could get vane clearance and until you get a guide rod that isn't going to happen.

I've sold quite a few of these type older bows. Most go for $10 to $25 and are bought for fishing bows. One, fishing arrows really don't need vanes. Two, if boating and the bows takes the deep six there is no big loss, except if you have one of those fancy fishing bottle reels.
    Last edited by Sonny Thomas; 05-24-2013 at 07:22 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

The sight that is on the bow will work well, in fact probably was the bomb back when that bow was put togather. Check with your new friend for the cable rod that Sonny mentioned, he or someone in the club probably has what you need.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

About the cable rod/slide. Is there, by chance, a hole drilled in the back side of the riser? Maybe below the grip. If there is you could get a rod to fit. Let us know or take a pic of that too.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies. Yes, it's drilled/tapped for about 3/8" stud, on the rear of the riser, I think below the grip area. Also drilled tapped for a rest, so I just need to find one to fit.

cheers for now,

Paul