Thread: Use D Loop Instead?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Use D Loop Instead?

My releases. Wondering if there would be any advantage to using a D loop instead of the release attached cord?

Carl

Releases -600x425.jpg

Sonny Thomas

Default Use D Loop Instead?

Sort of depends if your release will work with a loop and most will. If you have your release loops (that's what they are) trained you probably hook up about as fast. Never liked mine after I tried a d-loop.

Of course, instead of looping under the arrow you'd be attaching directly in line with your arrow.
    For hunting, if you have the enclosed jaw (s) you can hook up and leave the release hang and you're ready.

Post Thanks / Like

I forget what the aqua one is, but I've had the pleasure to use the other three, like as long ago as 38 years. In fact I still have two of the old Stans. One with custom molded handle.

I know many people today like using a string loop, but if you still like using a rope release consider this. You probably put the rope under the nock. This places the apex of the string right at the bottom of the nock. Upon release the nock gets pushed down just a slight bit into that apex. I've seen the slo-mo video footage. So how does it affect accuracy? Well, obviously you tune your bow which adjusts for the nock shift. The bow, being a machine repeats itself each and every shot so accuracy remains the same from shot to shot.

To my way of thinking string loops, although popular, create as many problems as they solve. You see questions all the time about some of them. Which is the best string loop material? Some release jaws abrade the loop so it needs replaced periodically. I don't care how good you are you'll never tie two string loops to exactly the same length. Knots have to oppose each other to balance it out; otherwise it can, due to it's mass, swing around the bowstring at the shot, which it might do anyway if not tight enough. This can introduce the problem of the peep turning to an undesired position.

Just about 6 months ago, for personal reasons, I put my rope releases out to pasture; Cascade model 8 to be exact. I'd been using them for over a decade. Replace the roipe on one of them one time during that who period. Anyway, I bought a Scott Sabertooth after much shopping and testing. One of my reasons for the Sabertooth is that the jaws are nicely machined (all rounded edges) stainless steel. I hook up directly to the serving under the nock. Thousands upon thousands of shots without needing to replace serving.

So I guess what I'm getting at is that archery being the sport that it is, everybody can "float their own boat". Whatever works best for an individual is what he should shoot if he so desires. There is no "right or wrong" if it works.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies guys, yes Sonny Thomas, good point about the release rope being inline with the arrow with the D loop.

bfisher I've started a "archery info" folder where I'll keep all the replies for reference. The slow mo video sounds very interesting, I'd like to see exactly how things react the moment of release. I'll go ahead and try the D loop when my form is stable. I'm sure things will work out to find what works individually for me.

The aqua release is my favorite, once you close the jaws, it locks until you hit either the pinkie or thumb trigger. The only writing on it is "Hole Thing 3"

This go around, I'm even thinking of trying a recurve with fingers.

Carl
    Last edited by carl365; 05-24-2013 at 07:35 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by carl365 View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys, yes Sonny Thomas, good point about the release rope being inline with the arrow with the D loop.

bfisher I've started a "archery info" folder where I'll keep all the replies for reference. The slow mo video sounds very interesting, I'd like to see exactly how things react the moment of release. I'll go ahead and try the D loop when my form is stable. I'm sure things will work out to find what works individually for me.

The aqua release is my favorite, once you close the jaws, it locks until you hit either the pinkie or thumb trigger. The only writing on it is "Hole Thing 3"

This go around, I'm even thinking of trying a recurve with fingers.

Carl
    That is a much harder release to master!!
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by elkslayer4x5 View Post
    That is a much harder release to master!!
    Been watching the Olympic archery videos on Youtube and the recurve kinda of fascinates me. I wonder how I can try one, (without spending $2000)? although, noticed Hoyt has all kinds of prices now, don't even know if I'll like it or not, never shot fingers.

Carl