Thread: Target Archery Sight close in or far out?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Target Archery Sight close in or far out?

What effect does it have on accuracy whether the sight is brought close to the riser or extended furthest away? or put another way, what determines how far or close you adjust the sight?

Thanks, Carl

Post Thanks / Like

I would put it where my peep would halo my sight
    MARTIN BENGAL
    THE NEED FOR SPEED
    WALMART PRO STAFF SHOOTER

Sonny Thomas

What type sight frame? Something like a Sure Loc? Mine have 9" bars.

If using a lens then I look for clarity first. Virtually all sight frames have indentations, 1/2" or 1" increments. So trial and error of moving from close up to the far out. Peep size can make a difference as light can effect clarity.

If a lens, what power? 4X is most that can handle without using a Clarifier for target clarity and then pin clarity may become a issue.

Peep size is dependant upon what you want. I use a very small orifice in my Super Peep, .047". Of course, the Super Peep has interchangeable orifices from .031" to .250" with orifice removed.

Each person being different, some prefer to see the housing within the peep opening. What you want is to be able to well center the pin in the peep. I have mostly large housings and the small peeps allows me a good centering of the pin.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies! Yes TEN RING that's what it's coming down to, viewing the whole sight within the peep, at least with my setup.
    My frame is a "Check-It" (all my stuff is 20+ years old) is very similar in design to Sure Loc. I'm using a sight about 1-3/8" OD, not sure what the magnification is. Also don't know the peep size, appears to be around 1/16"

I have to just play with everything I have and see what works best, I'm just a week back into archery, before that, 20 and more years has passed and there has been a explosion of everything archery since the Internet has matured.

Most of all, I have to work on my form, luckily, it comes pretty easily again, but the muscle tone, that's another story, I guess my age has something to do with it!

Carl
    Last edited by carl365; 05-25-2013 at 08:37 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Adding to what Ten Ring and Sonny have told you, its a lot like the sights on a rifle or pistol, the mor edistance you have between the rear sight ( the peep ) and the front sight ( the pin ) the finer you can aim.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

Hi elkslayer4x5 thanks, I guess that's was I was asking in perhaps a round about way. That the further you extend the distance between the rear sight (peep) and front sight, the less the margin of error. So, it seemed to me the further out you move the front sight would be better for accuracy.

Carl

Sonny Thomas

Personally, I like target sights because I can miss more accurately

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny Thomas View Post
    Personally, I like target sights because I can miss more accurately
    That's probably why people like scopes on guns. LOL

A.S
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Arrow Splitter View Post
    That's probably why people like scopes on guns. LOL

A.S
    I use a 3x lens on my bow
    MARTIN BENGAL
    THE NEED FOR SPEED
    WALMART PRO STAFF SHOOTER

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TEN RING View Post
    I use a 3x lens on my bow
    That will do it.

A.S
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com