Thread: Paper Tuning Question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Paper Tuning Question

Good day All,
    I finally got my 2011 Rack Attack paper tuned to shooting nice bullet holes. As the picture indicates, the arrow is not perpendicular to the string. Should I be concerned? Is this 'normal', what ever that is... Just looking for some insight as I am ignorant about many things..
    The farthest I have shot it since paper tuning is 20 yards and it is dead on (of course-its a Martin!). Thanks for the help!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sonny Thomas

Default Paper Tuning Question

Well, to start, check your rest for being fully up for picture taking. Some rests come fully up at full draw.
    And no, that your arrow has a slightly high nock setting is considered normal. And myself, I perfer a single cam to a slightly high nock setting, usually 1/8", some older bows had more.

Main thing is you say you're getting "bullet holes." I would ask at what distance? If just a few feet, say 6 to 8 feet, then try a couple of shots from 15 feet and back to 15 or even 20 yards. If you have bullet holes you're good to go.

Personally, I am not a paper tune fan per sa. I look for the arrow to come out of the bow cleanly. No contact, no wild tear, I proceed to do a sort of Walk Back/French tune procedure. I do this for my customer's bows as well as my own and this is usually good for 3D or any other type archery with exception of long range - past 55 yards anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

A bubble level on the string and one on the arrow makes leveling the arrow a lot easier. I also leave my nock point a little high on my single cam as well.

A.S
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

Is that a QAD rest? Pull down on the string and you will see the arrow lift up. And if you are getting holes and shooting great then......I'd be happy.
    2013 PANTERA w/ cloaked cams, PINK Meta peep, PINK/BROWN BSD strings, PINK/BROWN BowJax, Truglo Range Rover Pendulum Site, Shockwave Stabilizer
    2012 Onza III w/cloaked cams, Meta peep, Truglo Micro Brite, Shockwave Stabilizer
    2010 G5 Quest Primal
    True-Fire Hardcore and Winn Free Flight releases
    Maxima's tipped w/ RAGE broadheads (some w/ PINK fletching)

Post Thanks / Like

The QAD will raise a little bit more at full draw, the nock high is acceptable if you are getting steady consistent flight. The only real thing I see wrong with this picture is that your arrow is on the wrong side of the riser
    2014 Lithium :: 2007 Cheetah :: Jaguar Take-down
    REAL AVID Field Staff / Bucks and Beards Scents Field Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the comments. The furthest I shot through paper was 10 feet. I will check it at longer distances just to see how the arrows are flying. The rest is a QAD and I forgot about it rising at full draw. Again, I really appreciate the input, even though the arrow is on the wrong side...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Getready View Post
    Thank you for the comments. The furthest I shot through paper was 10 feet. I will check it at longer distances just to see how the arrows are flying. The rest is a QAD and I forgot about it rising at full draw. Again, I really appreciate the input, even though the arrow is on the wrong side...
    No problem, as there are several 'wrong siders' on this board. Welcome to the site!
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

Everybody Left Handed should have to move to California and those of us Right Handed should be able to move one state right. several good ideas in this. Ok your paper turned, target area being big enough, shoot one arrow at 20 yards, tie a plumb bob of some sort to you arrow shaft and move back to 30 and shoot one arrow using your 20 yard pin, aiming for your 20 yard arrow. As you move back in yardage continue to shoot the 20 yard pin at the first arrow you shot. if you arrows are drifting in one direction or the other (move your rest a tiny bit). Repeat until all your arrows are in a vertical line. Your done.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll give that a go!
    Thanks again! Education is a good thing.