Thread: Just how accurate at 60 yrds with HHA single pin sight are we talking??

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default Just how accurate at 60 yrds with HHA single pin sight are we talking??

Just started shooting at 60 yrds to finish off setting up my HHA sight. Instructions talk about being very accurate at 60 yrds, but just how accurate are they looking for?
    Shooting groups of about 12 inches, with the odd stray.
    I do realize that over time with some practice I can bring that in a little, but what I'm wondering, is that good enough to get the yardage tape on my sight?

thanks in advance,
    Keith
    People keep telling me I have ADD, but they just don't underst.....SQUIRREL!

2013 Martin 60# (@44lb) Bengal Pro-Skulz!
    FletcherThumb Release, GT Velocity XT 400gr
    Ripcord rest, HHA XL5519

Post Thanks / Like

Personally, I wouldn't do it. You can also sight the HHA sights in by using 20 and 40 yards according to their instructions. I prefer to use 20 and 60 though. My groups average about 4-5 inches at 60 yards, so I shoot several of them, marking my shots, until I'm centered around the bullseye. Then shoot another two or three groups to make sure I'm well centered with my arrows before I break out the yardage tape.
    I have noticed that the 20 & 60 yard sight in seems to be right on the money with the yardage tapes, while the 20 & 40 method seemed to be a bit off at longer ranges.
    2006 Rytera Bullet X 60#---2008 Moab 70#
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#---2009-10-12? Warthog Frankenbow with Nitrous C
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ehunter View Post
    Personally, I wouldn't do it. You can also sight the HHA sights in by using 20 and 40 yards according to their instructions. I prefer to use 20 and 60 though. My groups average about 4-5 inches at 60 yards, so I shoot several of them, marking my shots, until I'm centered around the bullseye. Then shoot another two or three groups to make sure I'm well centered with my arrows before I break out the yardage tape.
    I have noticed that the 20 & 60 yard sight in seems to be right on the money with the yardage tapes, while the 20 & 40 method seemed to be a bit off at longer ranges.
    thanks E.
    When I re read this, it sounds like I'm a little too gun-ho. I think I will practice a bit more and see if I can't bring my group in. If not I will just go to the 20-40 calculation, I don't think I would be doing much beyond 50 yrds anyways.
    People keep telling me I have ADD, but they just don't underst.....SQUIRREL!

2013 Martin 60# (@44lb) Bengal Pro-Skulz!
    FletcherThumb Release, GT Velocity XT 400gr
    Ripcord rest, HHA XL5519

Post Thanks / Like

Don't know what per target you are shooting at, but I have always, since my field shooting days, preferred to practice and sight in using an NFAA Hunter target. It's all black with a white bullseye. The bullseye just lets you concentrate better. There are different sizes for different yardage ranges. Given your description of your current 60 yard groups I would suggest using the large 24" face with a bullseye measuring 5 1/8". I would also suggest cutting down the amount of arrows per group. There is no way to accurately shoot 12 arrows in succession. 6 is plenty and I've found 4 to be about ideal. Muscles need some rest between shots or ends and walking to retrieve arrows gives them that rest.

It's OK to shoot 60 yards if you are capable of decent groups, but also take a look at where the center of those groups are and adjust your sight accordingly as you go. Also, I usually shoot 20 & up to 40 in 5 yard increments, marking a blank tape as I go. Then transfer all the marks to a blank piece of paper. Then lay this on the preprinted tapes, comparing where most of the marks line up to a certain tape. If you're off a bit with one or more of your marks it will be quite evident and force you to find which yardage you need to fine tune.

I did this a few weeks ago from 15 to 50 yards. Lining my marks up with a certain tape I found that everything was really really close except my 30 yard mark. I was off about a yard and further shooting showed that my mark was actually about 29 yards, so I moved my sight a bit and was shooting into the center of the bullseye instead of 1 1/2" low.

Another reason to do this is because your 20 yard mark could be off a bit and won't really show up much on a target. Shooting the longer targets will bring out the discrepancy and before you stick the wrong tape # on your sight. Also, if and when you decide to stick a tape on your sight you have to get it in the right spot. I would suggest setting the sight for 40 yards and line up the tape accordingly to the indicator pin on the sight. This will allow for finer accuracy at the shorter distances. Now, this being said once I have gone to all this trouble I don't even bother with preprinted yardage tapes.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Sonny Thomas

You know, sighting in can be made easier if removing trying to center on a bull's eye. For 20 yards use a verticle line approx. 1/2" wide clear across the target face. Same for 60 yards, use a horizontal line about 3 inches wide clear across the target face. Should be able to see the 3" wide line fairly easy. Center is center no matter the size.

Why I say so, I don't know how you tuned your bow. Sights and distance go hand in hand with French tuning. Walk Back is done differently (and I don't necessarily agree with the Walk Back tuning procedure).
    Okay, not tuned for longer distances you will have arrows wandering with the farther you shoot.
    Last edited by Sonny Thomas; 06-06-2013 at 05:07 PM.

Sonny Thomas

Got called away. Something on the order that Barry mentioned. When practicing and shooting Field I made up a set of bull's eye that corresponded with the targets for yardage, 1.5 up to 5". I just these as I could concentrate on them and not have something distract me. That just found one in my bow case I decided to post this.