Thread: Size of Target at 80 meters?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Size of Target at 80 meters?

In my indoor practice, I'd like to get some idea of how big the 122 cm target appears at 80 meters. Roughly the size of a dime or quarter, at arms length?

Thanks!
    Carl

Post Thanks / Like

122 Centimeters ??? thats a skitch over 4 feet. so pretty close to a basketball at 80 meters
    what's the layout, 4 bulls, 5 bulls? gimme the diameter of your rings across the largest part of the circle your shooting at
    Last edited by macflash; 06-07-2013 at 08:35 PM.
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to
    The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life

'96 Firecat, '66 Herters

Post Thanks / Like

really its irrelevant what it looks like or how big it is, at that distance form is what matters most because any small torque on the bow or twitch at the shot will send your arrow off it's mark by a lot. only way to get better at that distance is to practice that distance, but to answer your question about the size of a softball or small soccer ball.
    Martin x-200 unsure of year
    2011 Mathews z7magnum
    2012 Mathews z7magnum
    2014 Mathews ChillR (on order)

Sonny Thomas

A big 4 foot target? Indoors? And then at 87 yards? ???? I R Lost. Why?

Post Thanks / Like

I think what he's asking is: what does a 122mm target at 90 meters look like in comparison to something at 20yds.?
    Does it look like shooting at a dime at 20yds? Does it look like shooting at a quarter at 20yds? Does it look like a pin head at 20 yds?
    I think I see what your trying to visualize, but then if you practice till you can shoot robin hoods every shot at 20yds, you still may not be able to even hit the backstop at 87yds...

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies guys and sorry for the confusion, explaining certain things is difficult for me.

Spiker: that's it. At the most I have indoors is 20 yds. The target I want to visualize is the standard one they use in the Olympics at 70 yds for women and 80 yds for men. (I think it's 122 cm across in size?) At 20 yards, how big does this target appear in size? just a rough estimate, say a dime at arms length? just so I can mark that size on the target for something to see.

Reason is, I'd like to visualize in the mind's eye the target and exactly where I want the arrow to hit way before I even actually shoot. Back 20 years when I was heavily into archery this was my preparation technique and it worked well but I just want to sharpen that again.

I took up archery again a week or two ago, so yes, I'm trying to get my form back which seems to come fairly easily but need to really work on the strength so doing a whole body weight workout program.

Thanks!
    Carl

Sonny Thomas

Best I can do. 80 yards inset with camera. Target bag is maybe close to 2 feet wide by 3 feet tall.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Sonny Thomas; 06-08-2013 at 09:06 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Sonny Thomas, a brilliant idea struck me! I'll go to the local archery range, been wanting to do that anyway and see how big the 122 cm target at 80 mtrs appears at arms length.

Carl

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by carl365 View Post
    Thanks Sonny Thomas, a brilliant idea struck me! I'll go to the local archery range, been wanting to do that anyway and see how big the 122 cm target at 80 mtrs appears at arms length.

Carl
    That could work! LOL
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

I came upon this site, archerycoach the other day, he explains exactly what I didn't convey too well in print.

His post dated March 29, 2013 titles "Practicing Indoors for Outdoors"
    It's about 3/4 the way down the long page with photos of 3 archery targets.

Carl