Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: It's ALIVE !!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default It's ALIVE !!!!!!!!

It's ALIVE !!!!!!!!

the 2004 Jaguar that started this obsession is finally alive and shooting !!!

for those just joining the party.....

a few months back, I decided I wanted to get into archery and bow hunting.
    So I scoured craigslist and bought a 2004 Martin Jaguar, hard plano case, 12 arrows, 12 field tips, 4 broadheads, fitsme release, HHA Optimizer sight, and nap quicktune rest.
    all for $160 bucks. and all in like new condition.
    well, the seller listed bow as 32" DL. I needed 27. martin catalog said bow could be adjusted from 24 to 32. so I bought it.
    keep in mind I'm brand new, never held a bow.
    take it to shop to get it adjusted, and get a crash course on cams and modules, and draw lengths.
    call martin for cams, they direct me here to forum for cams.
    I learn that they are made out of gold pressed latinum and can only be obtained by traveling to the Ferengi home planet of Ferenginar.
    I had c's and needed a's but could also get by with b's.
    find a member (dirt dart) in the classifieds looking for a set of c's to replace his b's.
    send him a message about an even swap, to save myself trying to hitch a ride on the enterprise.
    he responds back favorably. I send him my cams.
    a few days later, he calls me, in a panic. finally had time to tear his bow down and pull the cams.
    they are not the b's he thought he had. they are a's. he is not happy, and is very apologetic.
    offers to send mine back and reimburse me for my original shipping since he was incorrect.
    I'm actually happy. a's are what i preferred in the first place. so we're golden!
    he ships the cams out. i install cams. but cant draw bow.
    turns out, dropping cams two sizes, also adds 20 pounds to draw weight.
    now I can go Tauntaun hunting on the planet hoth.
    so now I'm flipping out, where am I going to find a set of limbs!
    well, thanks again to the forum here, it's obvious, If i gained 20, dirt dart lost 20!
    so he agrees to swap limbs as well.
    now, in the meantime, it's been just about a month, and i STILL have not shot a single arrow.
    so, I buy ANOTHER bow. a 2004 bowtech wheelie. and then head on over to the local shop with range for some lessons.
    start off with about 6" groups, then 3" and now down to 1" groups of 3. even got my first robin hood last week.
    but, it's with the bowtech because the martin is still awaiting new limbs.
    so, limbs arrive, i install them, and this SEEMS to be perfect.
    draw weight feels pretty close to the bowtech (which is at 62 pounds)
    i don't have correct strings yet, so I don't fling any pointy sticks, but it's on the way.
    friday, strings arrived. i install them. check tiller, brace height, ATA, all check out.
    i do some quick adjustments on the rest, and sight. i install my d loop and kisser button.
    and i head out to do some test shooting. 10 yards and without a peep sight.
    i've read that you shouldnt install peep until 25-30 arrows to give strings time to settle in.
    first three arrows, 1.5" group. now, they were 6" high and 2" left from where i was aiming.
    but remember, i haven't ever shot this bow, so it's not dialed in for me yet.
    adjust the site up and left. shoot three more arrows.
    1.5" group, 2" high and 1" left. adjust some more.
    1.5" group, close enough to center that all arrows break the ring. :-)
    today I'm going to shoot another dozen, and tie in the peep sight, now that I'm confident I have my anchor point and kisser set properly.

I can't even begin to explain how smooth this bow feels compared to the bowtech. the DW feels a little lighter, but i also have it backed out 4 turns per side for now. Building a drawboard this week and then I can see just what the draw weight is and get it adjusted. but right now, it feels awfully close to the bowtech. perhaps a little lighter at the moment.

smooth. consistant. light.

this bow, has truly been worth the weight and headache.

I have a new sight and rest on the way, since I put the HHA on the bowtech, and the bowtech had a trophy taker drop away rest. I don't care for this 5 pin sight that i swapped over to the martin, nor the nap quicktune rest.

but yes!!! it's finally alive!!!

fitting, since really I suppose its a frankenbow now. Jaguar riser, razor limbs. :-)

I'll post some pics after I get the peep served in today.

many thanks to everyone that helped guide me along the way to getting this thing done.
    2004 Martin Jaguazor 60# 27" Twisted Archer strings. Trophy Ridge Revolution rest. Trophy Ridge Pursuit sight.
    2004 Bowtech Pro40 Wheely. 60# 27" VaporTrail strings. Trophy Taker fall away rest. HHA Optimizer lite sight.
    http://www.ToledoTees.com

2. Likes webbnate_45, typically8 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice....do you have some pics of your Frankenjaguar? Glad to hear it all came together. It is amazing how much time can pass while you are trying to find the right parts for a frankenbow build. It took 3 months last spring for me to find everything I needed for a build, but the wait was worth it....of course that bow is now in pieces and I'm waiting for other parts to build it to different specs.

4. Likes naptime liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Finally you get a chance to see why some of us are such Nitrous cam fans. Glad that you've got the bow shooting at last, first Jaguzor I've heard of, can't wait to see it. I'm currently waiting on parts to rebuild a Cougar III. The parts have been on several bows, now they are being re-assembled as they were designed, albeit with a slightly shorter string and cable set to raise the draw weight a bit, adding a little more pre-load to the limbs.
    Last edited by elkslayer4x5; 02-15-2014 at 10:11 AM.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

6. Likes mxtuner1, naptime liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Gald to help you out . keep shooting like you are, your going to need to buy more arrows ...lol
    It's all fun an games till you put that big boy on the ground.. now its time to get to work
    Martin cougarIII elite nitrous C cam X system & HHA
    Darton Fury recurve

8. Likes mxtuner1, naptime liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

One thing that I will add to your experience that I have noticed, using a draw board on a two-cam bow, such as Nitrous cams, can be a little miss-leading as the draw board does not apply the same pressure on the grip as holding it in your hand. They work great for cams that are slaved together (Hybrix/Nitro). I just try to observe what is happening as I draw the bow, get someone else to watch, or just attach the d-loop to a hanging hook and try to simulate my hand pressure the best that I can. I usually draw the bow back all the way to the wall, then start to come off the wall and see if one cam is advanced vs. the other. Good Luck!

10. Thanks naptime thanked for this post
    Likes naptime liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great news! Sounds like it is finally coming all together
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps

Post Thanks / Like

lets see some pictures of this Jaguzor you built.. what draw weight did you end up with
    It's all fun an games till you put that big boy on the ground.. now its time to get to work
    Martin cougarIII elite nitrous C cam X system & HHA
    Darton Fury recurve

Post Thanks / Like

ok ok.. here's some pics... though, i'm not finding it very easy to take good pics of a bow :-/

the jaguar riser and the razor limbs, thankfully both have mossy oak breakup pattern on them.

i had the strings done in od green and tan twist, with black servings.

i have a roll of woodland camo para cord on the way so i can make a new wrist sling like the one i did for the bowtech. and a brown leather yoke for the sling.

once done, in contrast to the bright orange and bright green of the bowtech, the whole jaguzor will be muted browns and tans.

2004 Martin Jaguazor 60# 27" Twisted Archer strings. Trophy Ridge Revolution rest. Trophy Ridge Pursuit sight.
    2004 Bowtech Pro40 Wheely. 60# 27" VaporTrail strings. Trophy Taker fall away rest. HHA Optimizer lite sight.

Post Thanks / Like

my very first self served peep sight

strings are tan and od green with black serving

my very first self served kisser button and my first d-loop in woodland camo

Post Thanks / Like

temporary nap quicktune 800 rest and extreme 4 pin sight

the step-brothers