Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying high end Recurve and less expensive limbs?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Buying high end Recurve and less expensive limbs?

I'm trying to decide on one of several Olympic recurves. The problem is, I just started into archery again a couple weeks ago now and been working daily on my strength but have a while to go.

So, in the meantime, thinking of getting a high end riser and lesser grade limbs of a poundage I can handle today because later when my strength has increased, I'm sure I'll want higher poundage limbs.

Is this sound thinking?

Thanks,
    Carl

Post Thanks / Like

Thats pretty sound thinking, if you know for sure that you want to invest in a high end Olympic bow. I'd start with 25-30 # limbs, depending on your draw.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by elkslayer4x5 View Post
    Thats pretty sound thinking, if you know for sure that you want to invest in a high end Olympic bow. I'd start with 25-30 # limbs, depending on your draw.
    Thanks elkslayer4x5, Yeah, knowing myself if I got a lesser riser I'd always ask myself from then on, "why didn't I get the next one up" especially when the difference isn't that great costwise. So, I figure I'd just get the top of the line and not have regrets. Besides I can always sell it...haha!

Exactly on the 25-30 # limbs, just the poundage I was thinking of. Hopefully I will be able to handle a 40-45 pound later.

Carl

Sonny Thomas

I just about got into the Olympic style bows as I had enough of the recurves. Price tags of $500 to near $800 for risers and limbs right around $400 to $650 I decided Olympic bows were not for me. Oh, yeah, the Nano arrows are the in thing, $200 to $330 for a dozen, Nano field points, $25.

So two of my old FITA pins in super great condition will stay that way.

Story; We were looking over the new bows, and wishful thinking, and one of my sidekicks said he'd buy one, but probably couldn't shoot it. So I up and says; Buy it and I'll shoot it for you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny Thomas View Post
    I just about got into the Olympic style bows as I had enough of the recurves. Price tags of $500 to near $800 for risers and limbs right around $400 to $650 I decided Olympic bows were not for me. Oh, yeah, the Nano arrows are the in thing, $200 to $330 for a dozen, Nano field points, $25.

So two of my old FITA pins in super great condition will stay that way.

Story; We were looking over the new bows, and wishful thinking, and one of my sidekicks said he'd buy one, but probably couldn't shoot it. So I up and says; Buy it and I'll shoot it for you.
    Your not kidding Sonny Thomas, when I first started up again, of course the Internet is a invaluable source of info and quick shopping, anyway I looked at Oly recurves and was saying hmmm, $700 for a Hoyt that's not too bad for the top of the line, but, on closer reading it was the riser only and the limbs are same price. It floored me for a minute. And the price of arrows, incredible!

But it's not just archery, I'm into some serious cycling and you can't even buy a basic bike with the best components hardly under $3000 and tires cost the same as car tires.

But I'm getting up in years and if I don't do it now, well, you know the rest!

That's a good story, haha!

Carl

Post Thanks / Like

In all seriousness I wouldn't complain about the cost of Nano or even X10's. These are some of the highest quality arrow shafts you can buy. By comparison look what some fools are paying for Easton Injexion or CE LineJammer Pro. Sad to say I still consider the ACC to be just as good as either of these. I remember when I got my first ACC 3-18 shafts and guys were telling me they'd never spend that amount of money on arrows--- 1996 and $95/doz shafts with glue in points. Still have 9 of them. People are truly brainwashed.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Sonny Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by carl365 View Post
    But it's not just archery, I'm into some serious cycling and you can't even buy a basic bike with the best components hardly under $3000 and tires cost the same as car tires.

Carl
    Back in time, eras 1972/1975. I working part time at a motorcycle shop. Sponsored I was then. Anyway the boss had Yamaha, Ossa, Hodaka, Benellie and some side lines, Toro Snow blowers and Snow Pups (about like a scoop shovel with power) and John Deere mowers. One day we had to go to the train depot and pick up some crates. John Deere something, but wasn't all that heavy. Back at the shop we open the crates and there's this green bicycle, a racer. A John Deere racing bicycle! Stunned big time. 10 speed, big diameter thin tires, swept back upside down handle bars, hand brakes, and a seat that look if you sat down it might go where you wouldn't want it.
    And the weight, nothing. Feathers weighed more this slick green bicycle. Among the paper work was the brocher with; "lightest racing bicycle in the world" or maybe "lightest American made racing bicycle." Well, okay, super light bicycle. And then we were really stunned. Price tag, $440.00. Hey, this in 1973 or 74, maybe. 40 years ago. This would almost pay for 10 new bicycles or a new motorcycle (racer's discount that is).
    Last edited by Sonny Thomas; 06-09-2013 at 07:09 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    In all seriousness I wouldn't complain about the cost of Nano or even X10's. These are some of the highest quality arrow shafts you can buy. By comparison look what some fools are paying for Easton Injexion or CE LineJammer Pro. Sad to say I still consider the ACC to be just as good as either of these. I remember when I got my first ACC 3-18 shafts and guys were telling me they'd never spend that amount of money on arrows--- 1996 and $95/doz shafts with glue in points. Still have 9 of them. People are truly brainwashed.
    Yeah I have to admit, I still have 10 of my ACC's from many years ago, broke one that hit a metal bale stand and the other in a field shoot.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the interesting story Sonny Thomas. Technology has exploded on bicycles today. Latest is electronic shifting and disk brakes. Most of your top of the line bikes weight 16 lbs and less. Even just your regular everyday bikes around the $400-500 price range are well made compared to a couple decades ago.

Post Thanks / Like

I was shocked at the cost of mountain bikes, settled for a lesser grade, after all, I not riding it as it was intended, just on old logging roads. This is a Specialized 'Rockhopper'.

Last edited by elkslayer4x5; 06-10-2013 at 10:15 AM.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade