Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Martin X-200?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Martin X-200?

Who is shooting one? How's it stack? Hows the quality? I picked one up for cheap looking into what i just got myself into lol.
    Martin x-200 unsure of year
    2011 Mathews z7magnum
    2012 Mathews z7magnum
    2014 Mathews ChillR (on order)

Post Thanks / Like

Anybody?
    2011 Mathews z7magnum
    2012 Mathews z7magnum

Post Thanks / Like

Guess no one is shooting one. According to what I read on the X-200 web page, its 60" length draws smooth, reading further, Martin says that the Mamba's 58" length allows up to an 28" draw, so I'd guess that the extra 2" will be smooth up to at least 29" draw. Concidering the bowyers skill employed at Martins facility ( take a look at the draw curve of the Gail Martin Signature Recurve, admittley a top end bow ) I would think that you will have gradual stacking.
    I draw a 30" arrow and a 60" bow pinches my fingers, especially shooting split fingers ( one over and two under the arrow ), less when shooting 3 under. Please let us know how it shoots when it finally gets to you.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

When you are asking "How much does it stack?", you might want to specify at what draw length and poundage bow. It probably has 2.5#/in at 28", which is not considered excessive stacking. It may have a tendancy to stack at 30" and beyond.

They are fine bows. My advice would be to start out with a light weight bow, in the 30#-35# range until you develop proper form, then increase your draw weight.

Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DeanRM View Post
    When you are asking "How much does it stack?", you might want to specify at what draw length and poundage bow. It probably has 2.5#/in at 28", which is not considered excessive stacking. It may have a tendancy to stack at 30" and beyond.

They are fine bows. My advice would be to start out with a light weight bow, in the 30#-35# range until you develop proper form, then increase your draw weight.

Good luck!
    It's not my first recurve so I understand how the draw weight is completely different then a compound. It's a 45# @ 28 I pull a recurve about 29-29.5 I know my saber 50# stacks about 3.5# per inch. I know some bows have relatively no stacking. Also I don't know if anyone has ot2 but I was also wondering what ball park I should be in for arrows.
    2011 Mathews z7magnum
    2012 Mathews z7magnum

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 2009 40# X-200 that I started shooting in April after shooting a 28# Bear recurve for a year to learn good form; I second Dean's recommendation to start out light.

This one doesn't seem to stack, but my draw isn't much over 28". Bear in mind your draw length will probably be shorter than with a compound(around an inch).

These bows are well made, they retail for almost $500, got mine new on eBay for a steal. The 2007(I think) and newer ones have reinforced limb tips to shoot low stretch(Fast Flight) strings instead of Dacron.

I have a thread on this forum going about the X-200 and Hunter recurves.
    Recurves: 40lb X-200, 45 & 50lb Hunters, 45lb Mamba

Post Thanks / Like

The reinforced limb tips where added in 2008, according to the web site. The X-200 was not in the 2010 Traditional line-up, prior to that as far back as I can go for web pages ( 2008 ) the riser was made of Birch, with muted Olive overtones and had Eastern hard maple with black fiberglass limbs. Prior to 2008, the limb tips were not reinforced. After 2010, the riser was made of solid Shedua with easteren hard maple and black fiberglass limbs. That should help identify the build year. Unless, of course, you already know when it was built.
    As for arrow spine, if you're going to be shooting cedars, look for 45-50#s. You're only going to stack to maybe 48#s. Here's Wapiti Archery's web site, old school Port Orford Cedar, in both tapered and parallel shafts. Highly recomended, beautifull shafts, and cheap full length feathers.

http://www.wapitiarchery.com/?cid=17
    Last edited by elkslayer4x5; 06-12-2013 at 07:19 PM.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

I am unsure of the year but I will post pics when it comes on Monday or Tuesday hopefully it's after 2010
    2011 Mathews z7magnum
    2012 Mathews z7magnum

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by elkslayer4x5 View Post
    The reinforced limb tips where added in 2008, according to the web site. The X-200 was not in the 2010 Traditional line-up, prior to that as far back as I can go for web pages ( 2008 ) the riser was made of Birch, with muted Olive overtones and had Eastern hard maple with black fiberglass limbs. Prior to 2008, the limb tips were not reinforced. After 2010, the riser was made of solid Shedua with easteren hard maple and black fiberglass limbs. That should help identify the build year. Unless, of course, you already know when it was built.
    As for arrow spine, if you're going to be shooting cedars, look for 45-50#s. You're only going to stack to maybe 48#s. Here's Wapiti Archery's web site, old school Port Orford Cedar, in both tapered and parallel shafts. Highly recomended, beautifull shafts, and cheap full length feathers.

http://www.wapitiarchery.com/?cid=17
    Wow sweet site
    2011 Mathews z7magnum
    2012 Mathews z7magnum

Post Thanks / Like

Default Happy with my groupings but my two unfletched arrows are out in left field.

Happy with my groupings but my two unfletched arrows are out in left field.
    Literature says its to heavy spline on arrows. New arrows - expensive.
    Heavier bow; Not an option. Heavier tips, could be, but how much? is it practical. Adjust rest in and out with no change.
    I will go back to the shop tomorrow. I hope they can help.

Not much input from this web site.