Thread: Arrow Spine (stiff vs limber)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Arrow Spine (stiff vs limber)

How many of you have read on forums that it's better to have an arrow too stiff vs. too limber? Well, I take issue with this advice. The whole idea of tuning a bow is too make adjustments so that the spine fits the bow as perfectly as humanly possible. Not stiff or limber.

Say a computer program shows that you're on the fence with a certain arrow showing maybe a touch weak. Guys almost always say to pick a stiffer spine. I say, "Why not back the bow eight down a couple pounds and get it perfect". Target, 3D, or hunting doesn't matter. If you have your bow maxed out and pick the stiffer shaft then you have no place to go except maybe playing with point weight or fletching type. The bow is infinitely more adjustable and easier to adjust than playing with shaft length or arrow components. Take the easy way out.

Case in point is the last three Martin bows I've tried to get to shoot bare shafts. At roughly 27" draw and 42# up to 50# I've used various spined shafts and couldn't get them to bare shaft well. Shafts used were GT UL 500, 400 and 22 Series (300 spine), all with 80gr tips. They always plane to the right entering a 15 yard target at nearly 45 degrees and 8" to the right. Hmmm, shaft to the right (left paper tear) says underspined, right?

Wrong!!! I don't need a computer program to tell me this. One day just for the heck of it I dug into my box and came out with a 100gr field tip which with insert totaled 112gr tip. Screwed this into a UL 500 and Lo and behold got nearly perfect bare shaft flight out to 20 yards. Well, I don't want to shoot that heavy of a point (3D setup). But at least I had figured out that a 500 shaft was too stiff (not weak). Got some UL 600 with 80 gr tips (insert + 65gr screw-in point) and flight was pretty good. Not perfect, but close. Add one turn to the limbs to add 2# and Walla. Bare shafts and fletched arrow hit the same POI out to 35 yards. Bow is now at 47#.

My point? Don't get all rigid about having to shoot the bow at a certain draw weight. Limb bolts are not decorations or just for holding the limbs on the bow. If on the fence with arrow spine don't be afraid to take the weaker shaft and just turn the bow down a couple pounds. I doubt any animal is going to know the difference between 70# and 67#.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Sonny Thomas

Good point, Barry.

Post Thanks / Like

i had max out my 50lb limb for the last few months. but i don perform and shoot as good as i do before.

i actually back off 1 n half turn from max out. It shoots very fine compare to max out.
    Just donno why , but it works..... (Same arrow setup)
    2014 Alien Nitro , Sureloc Challenger + Viper Scope, Trophy Ridge Revolution, Easton Carbon One 500, Doinker Elite Supreme, Carter 2 Special.

Post Thanks / Like

As usual you're right on Barry. But how many of us forget that those bolts can be used for more than setting the weight? I'd venture to say a lot of us, me included LOL. Some do argue, however, that a bow will not be as efficient if the limb bolts aren't tightened all the way down.... what's your take on that? I don't know that it really makes that much of a difference as long as the bow is shooting well and the arrows are flying true.
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wscywabbit View Post
    As usual you're right on Barry. But how many of us forget that those bolts can be used for more than setting the weight? I'd venture to say a lot of us, me included LOL. Some do argue, however, that a bow will not be as efficient if the limb bolts aren't tightened all the way down.... what's your take on that? I don't know that it really makes that much of a difference as long as the bow is shooting well and the arrows are flying true.
    Efficiency does drop off when the bolt are backed off, but it's so little that only someone like Norb Molaney with intricate engineering equipment could measure it. For instance let's just take a given bow (any bow) that at 70# (limbs bottomed) performs at 80% efficiency. Back that bow off to 65# and it might drop to 79.2%. Whoopy Doo. Nobody can draw a bow and tell the difference.

What's more a lot of people would find they can shoot more accurately by backing the bow off a few pounds. Take the guy who will say he can shoot 70# all day long. I'd say he might be able to draw the bow all day, but go shoot a field round where accuracy is the name of the game, and see if arrow #112 is shot as accurately as arrow #1.
    Alien Mafia
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Yep! you guy's are right on. @ 55 my wifes always says Stiff vs. limber. I perfer Easton Axis 340's. LOL
    Last edited by Tosi; 06-13-2013 at 04:33 PM.
    Ranger 6
    2011 Fire Cat 400 (Custom)
    2005 Martin SlayR
    2012 Mathews z7 Magnum
    2011 Prime Centerod
    2001 PSE Excellerator

Sonny Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Tosi View Post
    Yep! you guy's are right one. @ 55 my wifes always says Stiff vs. limber. I perfer Easton Axis 340's. LOL
    Mmmmm? I shall refrain....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tosi View Post
    Yep! you guy's are right one. @ 55 my wifes always says Stiff vs. limber. I perfer Easton Axis 340's. LOL
    I ain't sayin nuttin.
    Alien Mafia
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny Thomas View Post
    Mmmmm? I shall refrain....
    Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    I ain't sayin nuttin.
    LMAO, I'm with you guys on this,
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to
    The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life

'96 Firecat, '66 Herters