Thread: Recurve Draw Length Questions

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default Recurve Draw Length Questions

OK, I want to be absolutely sure on this. Is 28" draw length the standard for ALL recurves from Traditional to Olympic style?

Example: So, if I had say a 29" draw length and wanted a 30 pound draw weight, I'd have to get limbs that are rated less than 30 pounds, perhaps 28 pounds because of the increased poundage at 29" DL. and viceversa for shorter than 28" DL. Do I have the idea?

#2. So, if the 28" draw length is standard, will it damage the bow if someone drew it to say 31"? (In this case I'd imagine the longer the bow length the better)?

Thanks!
    Carl

Post Thanks / Like

The standard is to give the draw weight at 28", but some bows, like customs, will give the weight at a different length(27, 29, etc) but they will be marked. Usually its around 2-3 lbs plus or minus an inch of draw length.

I'm sure a recurve can be damaged from being overdrawn, and longer bows are better for longer draw lengths; that's why Martin recommends the Mamba for shooters with up to 28" DL.
    Recurves: 40lb X-200, 45 & 50lb Hunters, 45lb Mamba

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CaptJJ View Post
    The standard is to give the draw weight at 28", but some bows, like customs, will give the weight at a different length(27, 29, etc) but they will be marked. Usually its around 2-3 lbs plus or minus an inch of draw length.

I'm sure a recurve can be damaged from being overdrawn, and longer bows are better for longer draw lengths; that's why Martin recommends the Mamba for shooters with up to 28" DL.
    Thanks CaptJJ, I was just curious about the draw lengths, luckily my DL is 27.5 so, I'll fit right close into the standard recurve.

Carl