Thread: Maximum Twists on Dacron String?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Maximum Twists on Dacron String?

I read a Dacron string should not have too many twists because the individual strands will rub against each other and possibly cause wear damage to the string. But they didn't answer the vital question, how many twists would be safe then? what would be too many twists?

I count two twists per 3" on my old Martin Pro-X Firecat.

Thanks!
    Carl

Sonny Thomas

I'm no string builder, but messed with twisting cables and strings. Most advise 1 to 1 1/2 twists per inch of length. So it seems your Firecat is close, but short of the norm. I have pushed the norm something on the order of 1 3/4 to 2 twists per inch. I can't say the (bow) string wore any more than usual. In a normal year I shoot something of 15,000 shots and more. With so many shots it's normal for me to change out a set of strings once per year.

Messed up there in bold. Should be 1 twist to every 1 1/2" of string length. Like 60 inches and 45 twists... 1 twist to every 1.3 inch.
    Last edited by Sonny Thomas; 06-12-2013 at 05:40 PM.

Senior Member Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by carl365 View Post
    I read a Dacron string should not have too many twists because the individual strands will rub against each other and possibly cause wear damage to the string. But they didn't answer the vital question, how many twists would be safe then? what would be too many twists?

I count two twists per 3" on my old Martin Pro-X Firecat.

Thanks!
    Carl
    General rule of thumb, no less than 10 twists in the whole string no more than 20. Here is a link for you to check it out. http://www.mac.asn.au/string_making.htm

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks a lot guys! Another question solved. That's a great rule of thumb Hutch, it fits any length string and thanks for that great site, in full color no less.

Carl

Sonny Thomas

??? Must have missed something. The Pro X Firecat is a modern day compound, not a stick or recurve.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny Thomas View Post
    ??? Must have missed something. The Pro X Firecat is a modern day compound, not a stick or recurve.
    My Pro-X Firecat is the vintage about 1990 or even before. Has 48" ATA. I have two of them, one has a round cam and the other a slightly more radical cam.

Carl

Sonny Thomas

Got cha. Today, when people say, old, 3 years old is old. You really meant, "old"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny Thomas View Post
    Got cha. Today, when people say, old, 3 years old is old. You really meant, "old"
    I don't know about others but time seems to go by so fast nowadays, I can still clearly see exactly the moment I bought those Firecats, the kind of day it was, and the salesperson (now deceased) even the time. BUT that was 20+ years ago! at this rate, my next awakening will be when I'm 85 years old should I be so lucky.

Carl