Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new bow.....which one?

Unregistered

Default new bow.....which one?

I'm looking to upgrade to a new bow and have narrowed my choices down to several models. I'm looking at a Mathews Switchback XT, a Diamond Liberty and the Martin Moab. Any thoughts from those with experience with any of these?

flytier17

I have owned a switchback LD, and a Drenalin. believe it or not, the MOAB is easier to tune and has compareable nock travel. It is definetly smoother to draw. It has a touch more handshock, but a decent stabilizer will more than compensate.

Never seen a Diamond Liberty.

Oh yeah, Mathews wil run $800+, and the MOAB is around 450? bfisher will know for sure.

Martin has a level of craftsmanship equal to Mathews. You will sacrifice nothing by going to a Martin.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know why I get sucked into these things. That Flytier guy. Yes, the MOAB is about $450. MSRP is $479.

I saw this post and because I might sound biased I stayed away from it. I have not shot any of the bows mentioned, but normally I don't have to. I can look at the specs for comparison, then the price tag. It usually isn't hard for me to decide after than which bow I'd get. I can tell you now I'll NEVER own a Mathews unless they are giving away freebies. Nothing justifies the price of their bows.

Don't mtan to sound like a basher, but that's just how I feel. No bow should cost $700 or more unless it is custom built.

flytier17

Sorry for sucking you, but you're the only one I can rely on over here. I'll try not to do this too often.

I too am biased towards Martin, but on this forum, you will be hardpressed to find someone who isn't.

Bfisher, what about a slayer retailing for $800+? Do target bows not count for $700-?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by flytier17 View Post
    Sorry for sucking you, but you're the only one I can rely on over here. I'll try not to do this too often.

I too am biased towards Martin, but on this forum, you will be hardpressed to find someone who isn't.

Bfisher, what about a slayer retailing for $800+? Do target bows not count for $700-?
    First, don't take me too seriously. I'm here to help people. If I don't have anything intelligent to say I stay away. Some would argue about me being intelligent, but that's another matter. Getting sucked in comes with the territory and I was just kidding.

As for my statement about bow prices I'm referring to hunting bows. I know prices have gone up over the last three decades, but I still say nothing justifies exorbitant prices other than men's testosterone level, needing to shoot a certain brand to impress people. There are tons of hunting bows in the $350 to $500 dollar range that will do plenty good, and most people won't be able to see a difference after shooting any of them for a while.

Target bows are another matter. These are specialized bows only in that they are a different color and bought by people who SHOOT their bows. Not just hunt and shoot a couple 3D's a year. I don't consider bowhunting a hobby. A hobby is something you do all the time. Obsession is more like it, for two months of the year.

Years ago I bought target bows because I just about lived with a bow in my hand. I shot indoor target in the winter and field archery all spring, summer, and fall. About 3 hours a day was minimum and a field tournament every Sunday. I replaced strings every three months. I paid $300 for a bow and that was 35 years ago. I'm not the shooter I once was. I'm older with less muscle and poor eyesight. Those days are gone and I accept it. No sense in me spending all my money on gadgets that aren't going to bring my youth back.

For the young? Don't spend all your money on the latest gadgets every year looking some magical. Hire a coach instead. It's money better spent.

Make any sense, Alec?

flytier17

Yup, makes perfect sense.

I love to shoot. I shoot everyday. When it is too cold outside, I go to a range, or pound my Black Hole target @5yds inside just to practice the muscle memory.

So far, hunting is the only thing I have done with my bow. 3-D this summer, and as soon as I invest in a target bow, spots, perhaps competitevily if I can find the right tourney.

Bottom line is; I love shooting.

My Slayer cost $850Cdn, and I will never regret it. To me, if the bow feels as good for me as this one did, it is well worth whatever tag comes with it. BUT, I do agree that most high end bows are overpriced. Hoyt is an excellent bow. I like them almost as much as Martin. I would pay 900+ perhaps for one of those. I almost did for a Vectrix XL before I was introduced to the Slayer. But for an underperforming Solocam with a tree-trunk grip and a complete inability to stay still?... NEVER

Oh yeah, by the way, I did know you were kidding

NathGA

Wasn't Mathews started by some disgruntled Hoyt guys?

dbd870

Lokk around - if you have anywhere to - I did much better than $450 on my MOAB; I'm thinking there have be other dealers around that will sell cheaper than that too.

buckshot20

On the same note I was at the range the other day and a guy had a brand new drenalin and the limbs gave out on him. I had a similar problem with my cougar but martin replaced my limbs...this other guy didn't have quite the customer service with mathews. Just something to think about...The intangables!!

NathGA

I went and tried out a Moab just for you. It's really a pretty "smooth" bow. If I were more of a hunter, this thing would be at the top of my list!