Thread: Lost poundage

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lost poundage

I was wondering if anyone might know why my 2 Shadowcats have lost poundage?
    I have the 60 pound max limbs on them, one set are Barnsdale and the other the powertuff.
    As they are now with new spec cables and strings bottomed out all I can get is 51-52 pounds.
    At one time I had at least 3/8" before the limbs would bottom out at 55 pounds.
    Is it they are just worn out? I really want to shoot back up at 60 pounds.
    I shoot at least 500 arrows a week with these 2 bows.
    Thank you for any help on this.
    Don.
    I am sponsered by Louie Rangle-- Gator Feathers by Gator vanes...www.gatorvanes.com Deer Crossing Target shafts. Specialty Archery Timberdoodle ll rest. Bow String Depot Cables and String.
    I Shoot a 2012-SepterV and a 2011-Shadowcat
    I shoot Bowhunter, not barebow--fingers non-sights.
    Enter-ZESTY at checkout at Deer Crossing Archery- http://deercrossingarchery.com/
    For a 10% discount on all products, other than ECO Hunter shafts.

Sonny Thomas

Default Lost poundage

"now with new spec cables and strings" doesn't tell me that bow is within bow specs.
    Ata too long can cause loss of pounds
    Bow string too short can cause loss of pounds.

Something wrong there, Don. I have bows 13 years old and still have max pounds. My 2011 Shadowcat probably has some 17,000 shot through it and still has what it maxed at when I got it, 58 pounds.

Post Thanks / Like

Sonny,
    I have both bows set as close as I can get them to factory specs.
    I just can't figure out whats going on with them.
    I guess I will breake them down and start over again tonight.
    Don.
    I am sponsered by Louie Rangle-- Gator Feathers by Gator vanes...www.gatorvanes.com Deer Crossing Target shafts. Specialty Archery Timberdoodle ll rest. Bow String Depot Cables and String.
    Enter-ZESTY at checkout at Deer Crossing Archery- http://deercrossingarchery.com/

joelc

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny Thomas View Post
    "now with new spec cables and strings" doesn't tell me that bow is within bow specs.
    Ata too long can cause loss of pounds
    Bow string too short can cause loss of pounds.

Something wrong there, Don. I have bows 13 years old and still have max pounds. My 2011 Shadowcat probably has some 17,000 shot through it and still has what it maxed at when I got it, 58 pounds.
    I would agree. I have never seen limbs wear out or the bow lose poundage due to the limbs. I can't tell you how many people I have spoke with people that say their bow suddenly lost poundage...followed by "right after I got new strings and cables"

Every Martin bow that I have put Winner's Choice strings on has lost up to 5 pounds. Diameter, strand count and material choice can all cause weight fluctuations.
    Last edited by joelc; 06-18-2013 at 12:23 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I have to agree with Joel just said. Been shooting compounds for almost 40 years and can say that limbs very rarely just wear out. I've seen bows 10 years old that only lost a couple pounds over that 10 years. The limbs today might be even better than those of yesteryear in that regard. As Joel said, strand count and serving diameter could change the draw weight due to the final string/cable diameter being different which would change the cam orientation. If it's a larger diameter on the string then it's going to shorten the draw length. That's why I always recommend drawing a line on the side of the cam where it passes through the limb fork once the bow is set to your liking. It gives a visual reference to cam orientation if and when string/cables are changed.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

I got one of the bows back up to 60 pounds yesterday. I replaced the cables and string, hee hee I guess they were just streched a whole bunch, my bad duh.
    Now I just need to do the same with the other bow and I will be good to go with both.
    Don.