Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Black Diamond Archery 3D

Sonny Thomas

Default Black Diamond Archery 3D

Got lucky and got in another 3D, but I still got wet. Dang rain! Overcast, new out targets and whatever I still managed a 382/400 and was in 1st when I left. BDA had 65 shooters taday, Saturday, and have Sunday yet to shoot.

I R pooped....eye lids wanting hard to call it a day.
    Last edited by Sonny Thomas; 06-29-2013 at 05:07 PM. Reason: missing word

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Sonny, you going in your swimming trunks?

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Nice shooting!.

Sonny Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch~n~Son Archery View Post
    Sonny, you going in your swimming trunks?
    Hutch
    It's probably something to consider. 5 times I've been rained out this year. This 3D was different. We made it like to target 28 when the rain hit. The four of us were in the wooded section and quickly found a trees to get up against. So we only got about half wet. The rain let up to a sprinkle every now and then so we continued on. Water drops on a lens is not conductive of accurate shooting, but I got lucky and drilled a turkey. Found a paper towel in my fanny pouch, dried off my lens and then on to "kill" targets without mercy.
    Last target, a Rinehart walking black bear. Just got to full draw when a clap of thunder came right over our heads. We all jumped and I was dang lucky I didn't fire. We all 10ed out and just as we got to the Concession pavillion the sky opened up. Surely you seen it, walls of rain? Well rain came in walls big time. Just straight down, no wind to speak of. Got home and there was this dang yellow ball in the sky and it got warm. Weird....

Quote Originally Posted by Double S View Post
    Nice shooting!.
    Thank you, sir.

Forgot. No Seniors signed up so I opted for the Adult FS (Unlimited) class. Yeah, me picking on the "pups."
    And I wasn't the only one picking on the younger generations. Long time known Traditional shooter Don Owens, 67 years old, turned in a monster score for the Adult Traditional Class. The man is phenomenal.

Post Thanks / Like

Good shooting Sonny,
    I wish it was ranning here. It was about 110 here today.
    Don.
    I am sponsered by Louie Rangle-- Gator Feathers by Gator vanes...www.gatorvanes.com Deer Crossing Target shafts. Specialty Archery Timberdoodle ll rest. Bow String Depot Cables and String.
    I Shoot a 2012-SepterV and a 2011-Shadowcat
    I shoot Bowhunter, not barebow--fingers non-sights.
    Enter-ZESTY at checkout at Deer Crossing Archery- http://deercrossingarchery.com/
    For a 10% discount on all products, other than ECO Hunter shafts.

Sonny Thomas

Black Diamond Archery just finished up their event weekend. 189 contestants shot their 40 target 3D. Based approx 30 miles west of Peoria, BDA drew shooters from all over; Joliet, Springfield, Pekin, Peoria, Bloomington, Macomb Monmouth, Chillicothe, and 4 contestants came from the state of Iowa.

Black Diamond is probably the highest drawing 3D club around our area. For the past 3 years it's averaged 144 shooters per event and 7 events per year. Always has 40 targets and entry fee for Adults is $10.00. Young Adult and Youth are half fees and kids 11 and under shoot free. Every event is a Trophy event for all classes, even kids who don't pay.

We have Concessions which has just about everything; soda pop, hot dogs, brats, polish, pickles of different kinds (can be purchased by the jar) and coffee is free. We also have free donuts and peanuts while the weekend supply lasts.

I joined in 1999 and membership fee is still the same, $25.00 per family. This give the combination to the gate, free use of the practice and 3D bag range and if a person wanted they could have a family together.
    Members may bring in non-members once for a introductory. Membership is required should they come a second time.

We have a practice range consisting of 11 target butt, 10 yards thru 60 yards. We have a short 3D bag course of some 21 targets up year round. There are 3 all steel walk up platforms. There are picnic tables scattered about the course and as well as 2 or 3 under each of the two pavillions.

These pictures were from last year or the year before. The target butts have been upgraded a bit more.
    The trophies, girls and boys; 1st place stands 17 inches tall. And you have choice of archer or big mule deer for the top.

Basically, if you can't get your money's worth here you can't get it anywhere.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sonny Thomas

Another 2nd! Got the scores just recently. I R stuck in 2nd gear! Just unbelievable.

I've more 2nd place finishes this year than in the last 3 years all together. Sort of down hearted I really can't complain. I had some bad days and lack of shooting 3Ds hasn't helped. And then to finish 2nd behind a couple of Pros and one well noted super fine shooter I think I have bragging rights

Post Thanks / Like

Sonny,
    How many arrows at your shoots for 40 targets?
    Out here we shoot 1 arrow 42 unmarked yardage targets- 2 arrows at 42 marked yardage targets.
    What kind of scores do the bowhunter class shooters get?
    My average for an unmarked shoot is around 320 and marked has been around 410.
    Don.
    Last edited by Don B; 07-24-2013 at 11:36 AM.
    I am sponsered by Louie Rangle-- Gator Feathers by Gator vanes...www.gatorvanes.com Deer Crossing Target shafts. Specialty Archery Timberdoodle ll rest. Bow String Depot Cables and String.
    Enter-ZESTY at checkout at Deer Crossing Archery- http://deercrossingarchery.com/

Sonny Thomas

All unknown distances, 40 targets, 1 arrow. $10.00, 2nd and more times through is half price. Trophy shoot every shoot. No known distance shoots. Can use range finders, but can't turn in score. We are thinking about a Range Finder class.

Below; Grabbed top 4 in each class.

BowHunter Free Style (NFAA clase), compound bow, fixed sight, release, 45 yards max, supposed to be that is.
    Some shoot in 380s and up.
    Copied from score sheet;
    CBFSR
    Tyson Hart 396 1st
    Bart Loudermilk 387 2nd
    Chris Smith 386 3rd
    Tyler Wahls 380

BowHunter stake, 35 yard max, but if a tough shot isn't available it is to be shot with the Competition Stake (45 yards max) - Again 380s and up.
    Copied from score sheet;
    BowHunter
    Brad Mortimer 382 1st
    Ellie Sloweker 357 2nd
    Joe Whetstine 352 3rd
    John McCone 350

CBFSF; compound bow, fixed sights, fingers, 45 yards max (same as above); No scores for several months.. Check my records from 2010; Last person to win shot a 343.
    Bare bow; compound bow, no sights, fingers, allow 12" stab, 35 yards max; No scores for several months. Checked my records from 2010; Last person to win shot a 290.

My class, Adult FreeStyle; Compound bow, movable sights, release, unlimited equipment. 45 yards max (same as above). Again, I R 64 and shoot Adult if no other old timers in my class.
    ULMSR
    Rob Parel 395 1st - said to Hoyt Pro Staff shooter
    Sonny Thomas 382 2nd
    Tom Anderson 373 3rd
    Kyle Schultz 370
    Last edited by Sonny Thomas; 07-24-2013 at 01:56 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

35 yards max???
    Holy 400 round Batman...lol
    I wish all I had to shoot was 35 yards max.
    We shoot all the way out to 80 yards sometimes.
    The pics I posted in the thread of my last shoot when I shot my Septer were 45+ yards.
    I think the one where I have the big smile was almost 50 yards.
    I would love to shoot a shoot at your range to see what kind of score I would post.
    Don.