Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Black Diamond Archery 3D

Post Thanks / Like

Man, that all looks like fun!. I need to move and buy a house closer to a place that has competitions like that. I would never come home.

Sonny Thomas

Default Black Diamond Archery 3D

Quote Originally Posted by Don B View Post
    35 yards max???
    Holy 400 round Batman...lol
    I wish all I had to shoot was 35 yards max.
    We shoot all the way out to 80 yards sometimes.
    The pics I posted in the thread of my last shoot when I shot my Septer were 45+ yards.
    I think the one where I have the big smile was almost 50 yards.
    I would love to shoot a shoot at your range to see what kind of score I would post.
    Don.
    No. You missed how it is. If I didn't note; We do not score X rings. It's plain 10,8,5,0.
    Bowhunter as in NFAA is 45 yards as per NFAA. Okay?

BowHunter Stake is a for real bowhunter tough shot. Kneel, find a hole (brush, tree limbs, vines, fences), shoot between trees, stretch and still touch the shooting stake. 35 yds for tough shot, 45 yds if not a tough shot.
    Unlike the desert scenery we have young growth woods, Swamp grass head high, old growth timber, rolling grass land, brush every where. In some target lanes it's one lane in, man width. Other places are wide open and then platform shots - your feet are about 10 feet off the ground in the tallest.
    Okay, the shots are there, just that they are surrounded with distractions.

And for Fulton County in Illinois, 20 can be a long shot and best have your shooting lanes cut. There is none of the stupid stuff like on TV. You have your bow in your hand from the time you get in your tree stand and until you leave your tree stand. You blink and you can have deer in your lap. Otherwise, 35 yards on a deer is probably max and I've had a few, maybe 6 or 7. One was so close I had to wait until he moved out. Looking through my peep there was only hair.

Sonny Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Double S View Post
    Man, that all looks like fun!. I need to move and buy a house closer to a place that has competitions like that. I would never come home.
    Okay, our place was flooded. I've been rained out 4 or 5 times. BUT! If not for taking care of Home first with the flood damage...There are 15 3D clubs and 3 indoor ranges to shoot at and all within 1 hour's drive of my house. Just that the clubs all try to cooperate that are close together. So I have a club or indoor range to shoot at every weekend. And then there are Winter Leagues of 3D and spots. IE, we shoot year around.

Sonny Thomas

Got my 2nd place trophy from the last shoot. Quite nice. Seems most clubs are dropping their awards progarm. Black Diamond Archery, Inc. has a good one and maybe why they are the top drawing club in the surrounding area. Trophy pictured is 2nd place and 17 inches tall.
    Trophies for all classes provided there are at least two in a class, exception being Kids 11 and under - one kid = one trophy. Again, if any one missed, Kids 11 and under shoot free.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sonny Thomas

Black Diamond again, July 27, Saturday.
    And disaster hits.
    Woke up and like near froze to death, 54 degrees. Quite a drop from 85 degrees yesterday.
    Wind is near howling at the range and making things colder. Waited around until 9:30 before sidekicks say they ain't coming.

Took off with a good group of 3, husband, wife, and their friend. Started out well, then just plain messed up. I thought I adjusted my scope height right, but didn't. Shot a 20 yard goat and darn near missed high.
    Confused, I checked my sight and sure enough I looked at it wrong and had it set for 35 yards. Lord! I hate 5s.

So us being 4 a lone shooter catches up with us. His sidekicks didn't show either. So I joined him to give him company - 3D ain't near as fun by yourself you know. Anyway, this shooter can shoot. 11 targets straight we nailed the 10 rings and if one of us found the X both of us found the X. Those X rings on small Rineharts aren't all that big and especially on Turkeys. I was shooting my HT3s (.355" dia.) and Iyman (I believe) was shooting logs, arrows equivalent to 27/64" (.422"). Two or three times we filled the X ring on a Turkey, Poison Orange Frog and some other target (all Rineharts). We got too close, rattling,slapping arrow close. Double target, Honey Bear and Stump. Iyman shot first and nailed the X of the stump and then buried one low in the 10 ring of the Bear. Me up. I shoot for the stump, SLAP! Yeah, his arrow and my arrow vibrated a bit So I thought I better get over his arrow in the Bear. I added a couple of clicks (.004") and go for the center 10. Crack! My arrow clipped the top of his arrow and my arrow proceed up out just out of the 10

So we go on shooting 10s until the last two targets of the first course. Course A having 23 targets and Course B having 24 - 40. I don't know what happened. I sure didn't think I hit anything with my bow as we walked along, but for targets 22 and 23 I thought dang sure I had the distance. Adjusted my scope, looked twice and plunked a 5! Almost missing low as the arrow was buried fletch deep in the thin part of the bottom of the chest. WTH did go through my mind, you can bet on that. Lord! Checked my sight, yep, 35 yards. Did a double look and definitely set for 35 yards. Aimed for the second target and shot another 5! Checked everything for being tight and then looked at my peep. That dang had slid down. I like to be able to move my peep a tad, so it's not tied in tight and I have the string blackened with a felt marker. And there was something less than 1/8" light color showing. I showed Iyman. I then asked him to hold up. I moved the peep back up 1/8" to cover the light color and took aim on a target bag I figured about 22 yards. Drilled that sucker! Then I was really

So were at the break point of Course A and B and the club meeting was about to start. Iyman and I parted and we shook hands both of us definitely liking to shoot together again some time.

I went home after the meeting and did I quick check on my 35 range. I had to tweak the peep a bit more, but finish with being dead on for 20, 25, 30 and 35 yards.
    The plan is to finish Course B tomorrow.

Post Thanks / Like

You know Sonny,
    If you were to get rig of all the foo foo stuff on your bow and shoot fingers, you would not have to worry about things moveing on you when you shoot....hee hee
    Your friend Don...
    I am sponsered by Louie Rangle-- Gator Feathers by Gator vanes...www.gatorvanes.com Deer Crossing Target shafts. Specialty Archery Timberdoodle ll rest. Bow String Depot Cables and String.
    I Shoot a 2012-SepterV and a 2011-Shadowcat
    I shoot Bowhunter, not barebow--fingers non-sights.
    Enter-ZESTY at checkout at Deer Crossing Archery- http://deercrossingarchery.com/
    For a 10% discount on all products, other than ECO Hunter shafts.

Sonny Thomas

I don't worry about things moving. It's after they move I get tiffed

Seriously, I've had maybe 3 problem issues during archery events over some 13 years and only two that took me out of the event. It seems most are lucky to compete 100 times in their life whereas I've got that many awards and more on the wall and some that don't show through being donated to kid's events or through award being other than pins or standup trophies (I ain't hanging up cash ). I am no super shooter by any stretch of the imagination, but well hold my own for club and state shoots.

Sonny Thomas

Day 2, Course B. Well, it was a lack luster day, but a nice one. Woke up to near freezing to death again, 48 degrees! Waited until it warmed up some before heading for the range. Shot maybe 4 shots while waiting for sidekicks to show...that didn't. Kent McCoulah came down from Iowa and his norm family group couldn't make it. So he rushing about to get going he broke his sight and threw on a spare. He had the sigths somewhat set and we took off. Right off I messed up. Don't know what I did, but 8 and 5 disgusted me. To more 8s didn't help my disposition, but then I was concerned with Kent not having his sight set as well as he thought it was. So there we were, him shooting and me watching to see how his arrow hit. And then he adjusted in between targets. Finally got my head screwed on straight and proceeded to shoot half way descent. What some of it was, was targets in black holes or targets distracted by tree limbs and grass waving about. Just about nothing could be done to give me enough light to see this one target. It was so bad I just about gave up and a took a zero. On my fourth draw Kent took both my hat and his hand and held them up about 4 feet out to the side of me to block the sunlight on my scope lens. I caught a glimmer of the yellow on the target, gave a guess and let the arrow fly. Now, where my pin was there was nothing and I mean nothing, just black. I could only see my pin, but the arrow thumped foam. We went to the target and only at about 10 feet were we able to see I nailed a 10. Unbelieveable!

My score was horrible, but I turned in my score card. I can't remember the time I shot such a rotten score, 358/400. So not having my head screwed on to start with really cost me. Still, the wind so bad that there is a remote possibility that my score ain't all that bad. People weren't practicing on the practice range because the wind was moving them all over the place. This was the reason I went home, so I could get my peep back where it belonged.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like Kent is having a bad run, last weekend he was coming out of the course as I was going in at Flint River and said his rest had moved on him.
    A little common sense goes a long way, unfortunately it's in short supply!

Sonny Thomas

Kent, as from Iowa? Kent has a nice string building business there. If I can find his card I'll post. He does put out some fantastic strings of superb high quality.