Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Academy Sports / Dick's Sporting Goods drop Martin?

Post Thanks / Like

Well I would imagine that Martin has their hands full at the moment, and probably don't feel that the firing of an employee, no matter who it was, is really news worthy. As for the rumors of them closing the doors, I think there would probably be a press release if it were true.

More likely they are going through a transition phase of some sort. Remember they have a new CEO, and they are trying to make the business more attractive to buyers; I imagine there's some major changes going on and we're just seeing a small part of the story. For all we know they may have decided to scale back and sell directly to their fans in small numbers so they could upgrade their facilities. Idk, just hypothesizing but the point is that when they are finished they will pull the curtains back and let everyone see the big picture.

Joel was definitely a loss, but I'm sure they only let him go because they had no choice. Which means he really screwed up. We may find out the real story one day, maybe not. Joel probably has been told to keep the circumstances quiet, and Martin probably doesn't want to air office politics.
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wscywabbit View Post
    Well I would imagine that Martin has their hands full at the moment, and probably don't feel that the firing of an employee, no matter who it was, is really news worthy. As for the rumors of them closing the doors, I think there would probably be a press release if it were true.

More likely they are going through a transition phase of some sort. Remember they have a new CEO, and they are trying to make the business more attractive to buyers; I imagine there's some major changes going on and we're just seeing a small part of the story. For all we know they may have decided to scale back and sell directly to their fans in small numbers so they could upgrade their facilities. Idk, just hypothesizing but the point is that when they are finished they will pull the curtains back and let everyone see the big picture.

Joel was definitely a loss, but I'm sure they only let him go because they had no choice. Which means he really screwed up. We may find out the real story one day, maybe not. Joel probably has been told to keep the circumstances quiet, and Martin probably doesn't want to air office politics.
    Well said wabbit.
    Martin x-200 unsure of year
    2011 Mathews z7magnum
    2012 Mathews z7magnum
    2014 Mathews ChillR (on order)

Post Thanks / Like

Well said wscywabbit, If it looks like a duck, smells like a duck, walks like a duck, it's a duck. Bussiness 101.
    Ranger 6
    2011 Fire Cat 400 (Custom)
    2005 Martin SlayR
    2012 Mathews z7 Magnum
    2011 Prime Centerod
    2001 PSE Excellerator

Good Riddance

If by 'really screwed up' you mean sticking up for our dealers then yes...I really screwed up. Sometimes you appoint a new CEO...other times one is appointed for you.

MI1

we can only applaud you Joel....you were doing what you felt best....for the customer and dealer.....the backbone of the archery business.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Good Riddance View Post
    If by 'really screwed up' you mean sticking up for our dealers then yes...I really screwed up. Sometimes you appoint a new CEO...other times one is appointed for you.
    Well Joel, I'm glad that you had the moral strength to stick your neck out but I am very sorry that it got said neck cut off. If the new CEO was using you to make a point then that really sucks for not only you but for the rest of us as well because we all know you were very good at your job.

Like I said before, we're only getting a peak at the whole picture. Hopefully when the dust clears there will still be a Martin Archery standing.
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps

Post Thanks / Like

Personally, Joel was the main thing that kept me with Martin. I applaud him for his efforts to help and protect us archers, as well as the dealers. I am sorry Martin didn't have the foresight to look at what all Joel has done for us, and realize that he was a key component in keeping customers, and dealers as happy as possible. I for one, will be holding off on buying anything Martin until some good reviews of the "new powers that be" start coming in.
    2006 Rytera Bullet X 60#---2008 Moab 70#
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#---2009-10-12? Warthog Frankenbow with Nitrous B
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Good Riddance View Post
    Yeah I imagine it was them , not him. We appreciated Joel
    IM BACK!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dzsmith2 View Post
    Yeah I imagine it was them , not him. We appreciated Joel
    You just replied to him.

A.S
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thinking on this thread....

Hunting seasons are sneaking up and I remembered this thread. I would guess around this time of year (hunting season is one of the four seasons, isn't it?) is an active time for the sales of hunting related items, bows, archery gear? The time of year hobbyists, as I refer to the less then 'avid' bow hunters, would be getting enthused and gathering up new equipment they've been dreaming about; bows per this conversation. Just wondering if you folks are now seeing Martin out there in front of the consumers? Now, I'd think, would be the time of year they'd HAVE to have their products 'on the shelves' if they are going to have any kind of a successful sales year. Some of you who posted earlier; are you now seeing Martin products where they were conspicuously missing when you posted before?

P.S. Yes, I KNOW one should be into bow hunting as a year round sport. But, I'd bet most bows, particularly moderately priced ones, are sold to folks who get excited to 'go hunting' only a month or two before the seasons open. Bet you that even dedicated bow hunters often decide to bite the silver bullet and go on and step up into a new bow only a couple months before the seasons open; "Couple months; I'll have 'er tuned and ready in that time." And, it really is enough time for an avid archer to get 'her' ready. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I'd think this would be a major archery products selling time of year, if not THE major time of the year; just wondering if you all are seeing Martin out there, available?