Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lighted nocks

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lighted nocks

Anyone using lighted nocks? What do you think of them? Just bought a couple cheapo nocks (Carbon Express) to play with. So far, they seem ok, but not bright enough to make any difference unless it's getting fairly dark out. Even on an overcast day, they really don't stand out any better than a regular nock to me. Might be the cheapo nocks, but I'd like to hear your input. Thanks!
    2006 Rytera Bullet X 60#---2008 Moab 70#
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.

Post Thanks / Like

I have tried a couple of brands and I am stuck on Nokturnal red. I had one that was not working so I emailed the C.S. dept and sent it back to them and promptly was sent a replacement. Also, the reds a VERY bright.
    2013 PANTERA w/ cloaked cams, PINK Meta peep, PINK/BROWN BSD strings, PINK/BROWN BowJax, Truglo Range Rover Pendulum Site, Shockwave Stabilizer
    2012 Onza III w/cloaked cams, Meta peep, Truglo Micro Brite, Shockwave Stabilizer
    2010 G5 Quest Primal
    True-Fire Hardcore and Winn Free Flight releases
    Maxima's tipped w/ RAGE broadheads (some w/ PINK fletching)

Post Thanks / Like

Not being a bowhunter any more I have no need to look for arrows after the shot. I will say that I once had a state champion field shooter and pro that coached me for several years. We actually competed against each other. He taught me a lot and I remember most of his adages, one being "The best shots you ever make will be the ones you don't see". Interpreting this it means that very nerve in your body should be focused on just one thing---aiming. If you're looking at the arrow then you're not concentrating on where you want it to go. Aim the bow, let the shot happen and have faith in your equipment and your ability with it.

That being said, I can get Nocturnals for free. I've tried them in various colors and find them totally distracting. Besides that they add about 10gr to the tail end of the arrow and I don't need to give up any FOC.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Sonny Thomas

Default Lighted nocks

I don't use them, but some I've shot around use them...to my dislike.

If you'll note all the advertisements show the lighted nocks at dusk or looks to me after shooting hours.
    I think I've lost (as in lost) maybe 5 arrows in 13 years do to hunting. If I launch one during a 3D it's a pretty I won't look for thing. If I can't see it from the target I don't go looking.

One of my sidekicks has used them for the past 2 years. Killed his deer, but never did find his lighted nock arrow. Best way to find them is near or after dark and BD has never went back to even try to find them. He's pretty much wore out after field dressing and spending the rest of his day processing his deer....

I've got my share of freebies and cost reduced arrows, but to add something of $10 to a arrow... I don't think so. And like Barry, they do mess with the FOC a bit and a tad loss of speed. What, 24 to 28 grs opposed to 12 and maybe 4 fps loss?

As for my above "dislike," I don't like shooting with someone with lighted nocks. Don't care whether it's a paper or 3D event. I think most organizations (for sanctioned events) have rules against their use. They are distracting and they sure aren't needed.
    Have to admit, they do make for a good aim point...if I'm not counting score

Post Thanks / Like

Not for me either KISS. Arrow, point and fletching is enough, got to shooting a vintage Wing bow today at about 45lbs makes me want to take up archery again, to bad my shoulders won't hold up to it anymore

Post Thanks / Like

I don't use them but do use Norway Neon Fusion vanes, green orange and yellow with a white 4" wrap. They light up pretty well and my FOC is between 8-10". Also real easy to find in the field and the white wrap shows blood very well. Best is in low light they light up great.
    Ranger 6
    2011 Fire Cat 400 (Custom)
    2005 Martin SlayR
    2012 Mathews z7 Magnum
    2011 Prime Centerod
    2001 PSE Excellerator

Post Thanks / Like

They just made it legal to hunt with lighted nocks in Washington this year. Some of the guys I shoot with are all excited about the prospect, I however am not. Part of the reason I shoot feathers instead of vanes is that I wanted a higher FOC with my short arrows, and a lumenock would negate that. And as it was stated before, my arrows are spendy enough and when I loose one with a broadhead, I'm already at a loss of $20+ per arrow, so why would I want to spend another $10 per arrow? I understand that it may make them easier to find, but to me the negatives outweigh the positives...
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps

Post Thanks / Like

Their purpose is not to find your arrow but rather a visual verification of where you hit the animal. Animals are different then paper, you cannot just walk up and see you if you hit the bulles eye. If you can tell that the arrow hit further back, then you know that you might as well go have dinner and a movie before you start pushing a gut shot deer all over the country.
    2013 PANTERA w/ cloaked cams, PINK Meta peep, PINK/BROWN BSD strings, PINK/BROWN BowJax, Truglo Range Rover Pendulum Site, Shockwave Stabilizer
    2012 Onza III w/cloaked cams, Meta peep, Truglo Micro Brite, Shockwave Stabilizer
    2010 G5 Quest Primal

Post Thanks / Like

T8, that was basically my thinking too. Was thinking about the girlfriend using them, and me being able to see where she hit better. I did get some Nockturnals, and they are FAR superior to the Carbon Express cheapies I bought. I can easily see them midday. I know it'll drop the speed 2-4 fps, and the expense is another consideration, but I bought these pretty reasonable on Ebay, so I think they are going to get used. Thought she made a perfect shot on a turkey this spring, but we never found it. Found blood 80 yards away, but never found the bird.
    2006 Rytera Bullet X 60#---2008 Moab 70#
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.

Post Thanks / Like

What color did y'all get?
    2010 G5 Quest Primal