Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: If not Martin ... who?

Post Thanks / Like

If not martin.... who????

erm...

I start off with fishing. I always goes with PENN. i believe Old company always have something hide under their product, and that why they still exist in the world. (fren among me, complaining saying PENN is history, old, outdated.. compare to those new japanese designed reel.)
    But to me, PENN invented the Integrated Side Plate. where all kinds of conventional reels in this world using their ISP patten and technology. So? PENN IS old? PENN is outdated?

For archery, i guess i will stay the same. I once choose Martin, is also because the history of the company. the advancement of inventing many types of technology into archery. FOr me, Martin definately have something hide under their product, which make them unique. Sometimes u just cant tell why u like Martin over other bow. Just that feel. I guess, they also using technology to create the so called "feel" of the bow.....

Sometimes when looking at other brand compound bow, and advertised to be the so called latest technology (2.0, 3.0, 4.0 5.0 cam version), Hhmmmm.... where did i see this cam design before????? Martin bow has it in 2009???.

I like the origin technology, not the copy, and rennovated technology and claim to their own.

to answer If Not Martin... Who?

I really donno...... the other two will old history company. Both brand bow riser does not attract my liking.

But one things for sure.
    I will still shoot my Rytera Nemesis and still keep it.
    That is a one of a kind design of riser. No other bow has it.
    I almost have Seeker 365 in my collection, that is also one of the kind.

The carbon riser does attracts me, but i will not go to that extend to buy it brand new.
    Maybe wait for another one or two year see any laying around so 2nd price.
    Last edited by daiwateampenn; 08-19-2013 at 03:13 AM.
    2014 Alien Nitro , Sureloc Challenger + Viper Scope, Trophy Ridge Revolution, Easton Carbon One 500, Doinker Elite Supreme, Carter 2 Special.

Sonny Thomas

Default If not Martin ... who?

Maybe some don't mean it, but....

First Hoyt and Pearson have been around a bit longer than Martin and they didn't survive because of Martin technology. If you look down through their history they also made great strides in archery. Hoyt and Pearson lost their originators long, long ago, Earl Hoyt and Ben Pearson, and kept going without them. Abet, Pearson is not highly toted as it once was, but they do produce some outstanding bows. Pearson has gone through 3 (?) owners and still going.....

Most all makers of cams pay homage to Darton, not Martin.... Maybe Martin should have kept the strut riser? Maybe Martin should have kept improving the drop rest? Maybe how much more? But Martin didn't..... Should we say, failed?

Bows are bows. I've placed and won with virtually every bow I've competed with, Golden Eagle, Darton, Hoyt, Martin, Pearson and probably a couple I've forgot. Not one of them were more accurate than another. Even shot some I thought uglier than sin, but they shot damned good. Clear Water and Whisper Creek made some damned nice shooting bows, but they are gone. Barry and I noted Golden Eagle just recently....gone..... Why do some succeed and others fail?

Speed?
    Martin dropped the finest speed bow they ever produced, the 2008 Slayer. Why? If one I know would sell his I'd own it....
    Martin cranked up the Scepter IV for one year to a whopping 345 fps and dropped it. Why?

Speed? Hoyt and Mathews had bows cranking 328 and 330 fps back in the year 2000, almost 14 years ago. Many bows on the market today surpass Martin in the speed department.....

Price? Just depends on what bow. My Shadowcat listed for $820. Many top bows could easily match or come near matching this. Not the exotic shoot throughs and carbon riser bows, but those still beyond the Shadowcat for looks. My black beauty Pearson MarXman surpasses the looks of the Shadowcat and is listed for the near the same price, $800.00.

Customer Service. I never found Martin's any better than the next. But then I didn't have to call Martin over a dozen times to find out....Well, other bows just don't fail all that much or they get the problem corrected damned fast. One call to Hoyt in 13 years and of 11 bows I've owned. No calls to Pearson since I started at the shop back in 2008. You have to really know what nice is, not having to call Customer Service.

I just sold my Martin Shadowcat. It came almost as relief. Relief felt through I don't have to worry about the limbs failing and having to buy $150 Barnsdale limbs because Martin is no more. However, I did feel good when the new owner of my Shadowcat said he had it shooting great. He even went on AT to find out if he could shoot Pro division. Unbelievable, but his Post is there.

Do we blame or cut down or otherwise give distain of other bow companies because Martin going down the drain? I think not.

Read, read and read all you want in here and the only thing that comes to the top is the vast majority of Martin bows being inexpensive, not faster, not more accurate, nor more durable. So what's that say?

How many of you in here compete in archery events. Don and who else? Me, but.... ? If you did maybe you'd be more wiser, both shooting experience wise and more of other bows?

No one is happy we're losing Martin, but some of you guys gots to get out in the world.....
    Last edited by Sonny Thomas; 08-19-2013 at 09:02 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I am new to this site but not to archery. I have been shooting now for 47 years. I have owned just about every brand there is and was. I just bought a new 2012 Exile as a backup bow to my Vector 32 Hoyt. I also have a Bear Truth that I still put to the woods. I have killed many a meat packing animal with it! I have also got recurves by York and a home made Hickory bow that I love. I love the Exile for a ground blind and tree stand bow. It has the short 30.25 Axle to axle and only weighs 3.4 lbs. Making it my smallest lightest bow (For a compound) I have owned. It has already put meat in the freezer for me this year. I have used it instead of my vector for deer hunting and must say I love it. If Martin was not around I would be back to my Hoyt and from there Bear. I can not rule out any of the popular brands as far as never owning any of there bows. All of them Have some good points to them, some just more than others! I must say though my favorite compound bow of all times has to be the Hoyt Vector 32. It is one sweet shooting bow. Martin comes in with a close 2nd and bear not far behind. Just my two cents worth!
    Last edited by Bow-N-Arrow; 11-14-2013 at 12:35 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I would not know where to begin. I read all the reports in the magazines and it seems they never have anything bad to say about any bow. It is all I can do to decide on which Martin I want, much less add in all the offerings by other companies. I hope that this owner keeps it going. I know I love my Cougar II. I also have a new old Browning that was my Dad's, and it shoots nice also. A Browning Deluxe Nomad II XL. I would probably just keep shooting these until I die if Martin went under.
    2007 Slayer, 55#, Nitrous C, Bodoodle rest, Limbsaver sight, Kwikee Kwiver 3 arrow, Aka "The Man in Black"
    1981 Martin Cougar II MT-6, 60#, Whisker Biscuit, Fuse sight. Kwikee Kwiver
    1984 Browning Deluxe Nomad II XL, 50#, Browning Rack & Pinion sight, Flipper II rest. Kwikee Kwiver

Post Thanks / Like

It's all about what fits you and your wallet
    MARTIN BENGAL
    THE NEED FOR SPEED
    WALMART PRO STAFF SHOOTER

Post Thanks / Like

Old thread but thought I would add my other choices....

I have owned and shot others but my first choice if Martin were not around would be a Darton. I had an older Maverick and loved it. Second, probably a Bear. Mainly cause that is what the local pro shop stocks.
    Genesis 21:20 - And God was with the lad; and he grew, and dwelt in the wilderness, and became an archer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by webbnate_45 View Post
    Old thread but thought I would add my other choices....

I have owned and shot others but my first choice if Martin were not around would be a Darton. I had an older Maverick and loved it. Second, probably a Bear. Mainly cause that is what the local pro shop stocks.
    Now that you've been digging in the archives I'm going to agree with you. Darton is quite the fantastic unmarketed bow, much the same as Pearson.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

I am digging around a lot on here! There are a lot of interesting threads I have found once I dug back a ways. It is funny talking to some guys I work with that are bow hunters, when I bought my Martin they had no idea who Martin was, same with Darton. They have no idea what they are missing out on!
    Genesis 21:20 - And God was with the lad; and he grew, and dwelt in the wilderness, and became an archer.

Post Thanks / Like

Know what you mean. There's a reason that everybody knows more about the big 3 (or 4) companies. Marketing, and for shop owners it's profit margin. There's a lot more profit from a $600 to $1000 bow than there is from those that sell for $400 to $600. A shop owner is going to stock and sell what makes the most profit margin. Can't blame them for that.

The other side of the coin is that they are also going to sell what they can get. Some companies do seem to get a reputation for not being able to fill orders in a timely manner. Then there are those that spend very little money on advertising. If they want to sell products they got to promote them.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver